gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:36:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last nights show now up on YouTube  (Read 18294 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »

Horrific. Glad that Brian did not lend himself to this sonic clusterfu*%. Myke Luhv cannot sing period-a true hack job. The only shining moment was Al Jardine-the rest pure drek. Old Ronnie most likely rolled over more times than the number of people wating this fiasco. Shocked
I suspect if Mike Love rushed in to save your grandkids from a burning house, you'd blame him for not wiping the dirt off his shoes on his way in.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »

Jesus Christ, Mike looks PISSED during Sloop. The vocals are a little strained, although Al is obvs enjoying himself. Still not going to a Mike & Bruce gig anytime soon, I think...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

Mike's voice.  yeesh.  i mean. YEESH.  he's like squeeling. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:38:36 AM by Runaways » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:32 AM »

8. Al still has issues with the amps. Always has. Always will. I'm fine with it. He has tinnitus, doesn't he?

I think he had a problem with the monitors... He thought he was going to be in the mix but wasn't Wink
Really, did anyone tell any difference in sound when he played his guitar or not?

You're assuming it was plugged in, of course...   Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »

8. Al still has issues with the amps. Always has. Always will. I'm fine with it. He has tinnitus, doesn't he?

I think he had a problem with the monitors... He thought he was going to be in the mix but wasn't Wink
Really, did anyone tell any difference in sound when he played his guitar or not?

You're assuming it was plugged in, of course...   Roll Eyes

Think we're cutting a little too close to the bone now Andrew Wink

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
oldsurferdude
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 10:47:39 AM »

Horrific. Glad that Brian did not lend himself to this sonic clusterfu*%. Myke Luhv cannot sing period-a true hack job. The only shining moment was Al Jardine-the rest pure drek. Old Ronnie most likely rolled over more times than the number of people wating this fiasco. Shocked
I suspect if Mike Love rushed in to save your grandkids from a burning house, you'd blame him for not wiping the dirt off his shoes on his way in.
Where did THAT come from? Someone piss in your Wheaties? 1. Myke never gets his sandals dirty and 2. He doesn't have the balls to do rush into anything except a lawyers office or a justice of the peace to get hitched again. Tongue
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »

is there any particular reason you spell his name wrong?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

I think he watched a different band perform whose frontman is named Myke Luhv - because the Beach Boys show I saw was far from a clusterf$#%. People will complain about anything just to get a little attention.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »

I think he watched a different band perform whose frontman is named Myke Luhv - because the Beach Boys show I saw was far from a clusterf$#%. People will complain about anything just to get a little attention.
Hey rabman whatever your numbers are... according to you, having an opinion here(whether it be pos or neg on whatever subject) is againt all the rules-don't forget to give Myke's but a hickey when you kiss it. Grin
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »

I was VERY happy to see them back together, it was very touching; however, it don't think the result sounded that good at all. Brians band...no, it's not worth it. There's no way I can win...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »

i don't mind a couple shows together.  but maybe brian should just stick to his band.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 11:42:22 AM »

Hey rabman whatever your numbers are... according to you, having an opinion here(whether it be pos or neg on whatever subject) is againt all the rules-don't forget to give Myke's but a hickey when you kiss it. Grin

I digress; everyone is entitled to their opinion......no matter how ridiculous.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

I was cringing at first, Mike's voice was incredibly weak, and he was stiff as a board...his face looked like he had painful gas or something...if anyone didn't notice that they are not paying attention. To say it was better by Fun Fun Fun is true, but that was a real low bar to get over. Bruce was a non entity, although it seemed he forgot the words to Sloop John B which has to be nearly impossible at this point.  Stamos, go away please. Christian and the band sounded good enough. Al's stock just skyrocketed because his voice sounded fantastic, compared to Mike he sounded like a teenager. The fact that he was looking quizzically at his amp and motioning at his monitor shows he's still Al, not only in voice, but in all ways. Jardine's presence absolutely saved that set IMO.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »

i agree with mr. stebbins.  I think actually commented during the performance that Mike looked like he was holding a fart.  glad i wasn't the only one to notice!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »

Jardine's presence absolutely saved that set IMO.

Absolutely.  Al had more energy than anyone else on that stage, including the younger guys.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »

And he looks so happy singing Rhonda! As if he'd waited to be on stage with Mike and Bruce for 12 years...

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »

I just see it as some very old guys gettin up and singin songs from their youth the best they could on this particular night.  Any live band takes three or four songs to get it together on any given night.  As for Mike, who knows what variety of physical ailments a 70-year old man could be suffering on any given day.  Looked like they were having fun anyway...

For me,  the BB were always at their best in the studio and the live performances were just a way to try and take the music to the fans as best they could.  The lineup was always suffering in one form or another thru the years, some nights worse than others, and now permanently without Carl.  I wish Brian would have joined them back on those 1993 live/rehearsal recordings.  

Based on quality of Don't Fight The Sea(despite the banal lyrics), I think it shows the Boys can still somewhat nail their sound in a studio situation and I'm still hoping for some new studio recordings this year, even if it is just a song or three.  At the very least, surely there's more unfinished stuff, some possibly with a Carl or Dennis lead, that they could patch together as a tribute of sorts.  
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 12:22:42 PM »

Great to see Al with Mike. Something I doubted was going to happen again.
Yes, his 2 leads saved the night. The best voice of the remaining Beach Boys and the most energised of last nights group.
Mikes vocal was a bit weak. Perhaps over a summer of touring the regular use clears the pipes and it gets stronger but the one-offs like last night it seems a effort.

I hope Al gets more gigs over the summer plus Dave and Brian at some stage.

BTW One story last night said 'The Beach Boys' were going to sing Happy Birthday for Reagan today. If thats the case, I wonder if that will be on youtube?

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »

It was pretty forgettable but it wasn't terrible, I guess?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »

These guys have been playing since 1961 - I didn't expect them to sound incredible. I just really dug the vibe of it - As has been said, Al was energetic and sounded great (even him fumbling with his amp made me laugh a bit), Bruce seemed into it. Mike did look a little iffy, but other than that it was a great set - It was even nice seeing Stamos add some energy to it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:36:52 PM by rab2591 » Logged

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »

The outro of Fun, Fun, Fun.... fantastic!!!

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »

These guys have been playing since 1961 - I didn't expect them to sound incredible. I just really dug the vibe of it - As has been said, Al was energetic and sounded great (even him fumbling with his amp made me laugh a bit), Bruce seemed into it. Mike did look a little iffy, but other than that it was a great set - It was even nice seeing Stamos add some energy to it.

I think Mike and Al were a little nervous being on stage together again. Not necessarily uncomfortable, but nervous. At least it seemed to me like that.

EDIT:

BTW Anyone ever saw the concert at the White House from '83 and could say something about it?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:55:20 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually enjoyed last night's gig. I was busy capturing the audio to my computer, so I minimized my browser and only listened to the show. Thus, I'm basing my comments on not having a visual image in front of me at the time.

First up, Mike's voice obviously sounded like it was one heartbeat away from being flat-lined. CG was probably the weakest tune in the whole set. Though, as the show progressed, I actually thought his pitch and delivery got a lot less wobbly. The thing is, I actually prefer this somewhat weaker and "mellow" ML to the shrill, nasal, hyperkinetic version on stage. So, it all kind of worked for me. I thought he did a decent job on Kokomo (I also preferred the song without the sax during the break).

Al obviously adds a much needed credibility to the whole affair and sounded just like I thought he would. I thought Rhonda was great from start to finish. Really enjoyed the jangly piano/guitar recreation during the break (just like the record), and thought that the backing band added some interesting harmony things as well.

On that note, I have to admit, I think the band does a very credible job -- both vocally and instrumentally. I REALLY can't believe I'm about to say this either, but I truly enjoyed Good Vibrations and Christian's lead vocal. While no one can obviously replace Carl, I thought CL brought a certain sleepy, laid-back quality that really worked. In fact, the way the thing was sparsely mixed, the whole track reminded of one of those minimalist mid-late 60s BB's performances. Harmonies were pretty tight, too. Again, maybe this was because I was just listening vs. watching, but I thought  there was a certain "class" to the performance and arrangement that I wasn't expecting. I'll also add that I've heard my share of cheesy, (unfixed) versions of the song -- even with Carl -- so I guess I'll just say thumbs up and leave it at that.

In conclusion, as a possible one-off, unfutzed live performance, I thought they pulled it off. There were some missed cues and entrances (i.e. the beginning of Sloop John B), but the pluses outweighed any minuses for me...aging, Stamos, etc. Furthermore, as much as the 'Mints bring their own standard of authenticity to the arrangements, I thought these guys were surprisingly good in that aspect as well -- just different. Additionally, I'm always going to have trouble still wrapping myself around Brian's somewhat odd (and pitchy) live vocal sound. That said, I think him being here and doing something like God Only Knows -- which I feel is one of his better numbers -- would've pushed the whole thing over the top.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is...if a full-blown reunion does occur, I'll welcome it. I don't *think* they'll embarrass themselves.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »

eh...Your wifes name isn't Carrie is it? Shocked
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »

eh...Your wifes name isn't Carrie is it? Shocked

No...I'm not *that* DaveM...lol.
gfx