gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681010 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:19:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update from Bruce: Reagan Tribute  (Read 10873 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a huge argument...regardless of who the Boys were playing for, the show itself wasn't half bad.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »

Here is a video from the day after the Reagan show, with The Beach Boys singing Happy Birthday!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5n7-OqUno

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »

Isn't it slightly macabre to sing Happy Birthday to a dead man?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »

Thanks for posting the vid. I thought Mike's speech was nice, and the three Boys look great in suits - Al has aged so well, and Bruce looks so much better without the hat!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »

Nice to know that they're working together again...but Reagan? Really?  Shocked

Why the eye-rolling ?  The BB have an historical association with the Reagan administration (and Dennis had a somewhat more personal connection with the family), so their being invited wasn't exactly a shocker.
I'm aware of the historical association...I wasn't surprised, I just think Reagan was an evil corporate merdahead beholden to the interests of the wealthy elite (same goes for Maggie Thatcher and Lyin' Brian Mulroney).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, my opinion is you're wrong.  Reagan.  REALLY.

People like you are really a piece of work.  The man has his 100th birthday celebration, has been dead for years, has a wife who's there who's ancient as well, and their favorite band  happened to be the Beach Boys.  It's not enough for you to just let a dead guy have it for one night, you have to start talking merda.  I'd hate to be such an butthole that I have to be a jerk at a friggin' FUNERAL. 

Go rally against capitalism at a Rage against the Machine concert, the Beach Boys are all about some capitalism and Ronald Reagan.  Sorry.  I know it sucks, but thems the breaks.  At least yall have U2. 

What an ass. 
To be fair, nobody is being a jerk "at a friggin' FUNERAL." Reagan has been dead for years. And for people with memories, it is somewhere between awkward and hilarious how he is being inaccurately lionized in recent years as a Tea Party styled reformer, when in fact he was without question a compromiser who, while apparently theoretically in favor of shrinking government, grew it consistently and never balanced a single budget, and after cutting taxes significantly early on, reversed that shortly thereafter. The man was charismatic, no doubt about it. But he didn't actually do a lot of what his current legend says or hints that he did. And finding fault either with the reality of what he did (or didn't do) or with what he's credited with doing doesn't make one an ass. Or an anti-capitalistic rager (against the machiner ... thank you, thank you ... I thought of that myself). Anyway, this is begging to become Sandboxed, so I'll shut up. Except first I'll say, I have no qualms with the Beach Boys performing at a Reagan memorial party, regardless of my disagreements with the politics. And I think all presidents deserve a certain amount of respect, also regardless of my disagreements with their politics. So go for it, Mssrs. Love, Johnston, Jardine, & Co. If you needed my blessing--which you don't--you have it.

This sprang to mind....

http://www.theonion.com/articles/embarrassed-republicans-admit-theyve-been-thinking,19248/?utm_source=recentnews

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »

Got to give Mike some credit. While everyone is just singing a standard Happy Birthday, Mike adds his bass near the end and it 'Beach Boys' the song. Thumbs Up
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »

Yeah, but he was singing it to a REPUBLICAN.  So I can't like it.  Man made politics that control people are more important to me than god given music.  So lets not talk about the beauty of the stuff god gave us, lets first talk about the negativity that man gave us. 

HE WAS A REPULICAANNNN OH THE HORRRORRRR
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »

I'll keep my music and politics seperate thanks.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »

Thanks for posting the vid. I thought Mike's speech was nice, and the three Boys look great in suits - Al has aged so well, and Bruce looks so much better without the hat!

Awesome to see them all looking great.

Especially Al, guess he was right to keep it clean  Smokin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »

Stamos there unnecessarily again.... Angry
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »

Great and absolutely hilarious article from The Onion!  Thanks for the link!  Regardless of anyone's political persuasions, this is satire at its best.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2011, 10:46:28 AM »

i think inviting brian was nice of mike.  But i think he knew brian couldn't make it.  It was a nice gesture more than anything.

You keep on thinking Butch, that's what you're good at.  Smiley

Yes, it was a nice gesture.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx