gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:36:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD Twofers Sound Quality 1990 vs. 2001  (Read 16991 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »

For some reason I have a vivid memory of listening to the Caribou Holland CD back in 1991 and being blown away by how amazing it sounded. I'm a vinyl geek and will regrettably admit that I went and tracked down a vinyl copy (which in 1991 you could find for 25 cents in some dusty bin somewhere) fully expecting it to sound much much better, but the experience wasn't the same at all. And neither was popping in the 2000 version!

Does anyone still have a Caribou Holland CD laying around?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 01:21:52 AM »

For some reason I have a vivid memory of listening to the Caribou Holland CD back in 1991 and being blown away by how amazing it sounded. I'm a vinyl geek and will regrettably admit that I went and tracked down a vinyl copy (which in 1991 you could find for 25 cents in some dusty bin somewhere) fully expecting it to sound much much better, but the experience wasn't the same at all. And neither was popping in the 2000 version!

Does anyone still have a Caribou Holland CD laying around?

I've got the Epic/Caribou "digitally remastered" Holland album both on CD and vinyl. (as well as the 2000 reissue)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 01:37:15 AM »

I'm currently working my way through my vinyl collection, converting to digital via a USB turntable. In through Garageband, topped and tailed, the odd tidy up fade and Bob's your uncle. Amazing how great the results sound compared to stuff that's purely from a digital source.
You could do worse than just forget the CDs and just spend the time converting your vinyl...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »

On my CATP/Holland twofer, Holland sounds like sh*t. Especially on Funky Pretty. I don't know what year it is though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »

I prefer the 1990 discs for the Capitol albums.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:32 AM »

I'm currently working my way through my vinyl collection, converting to digital via a USB turntable. In through Garageband, topped and tailed, the odd tidy up fade and Bob's your uncle. Amazing how great the results sound compared to stuff that's purely from a digital source.
You could do worse than just forget the CDs and just spend the time converting your vinyl...

And those USB turntables aren't even especially good.

You could just play records...
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »

I have descanted upon HDCD many times on this site.  I lilke what it does when applied tastefully, as Mark Linett did on the 2000 reissues, BWPS, and the Good Vibrations 40th reissue CD (not on the label but it's there).  I bought a standalone box on eBay, so you don't have to.  Obviously I recommend getting the player with it built in.   Again here's a reminder: all Windows XP and later computers have HDCD built in too and it will engage automatically when you play the CD.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »

Sure spent some bucks on upgrading from vinyl to digital Beach Boys over the years.   Not to mention comps and packages.  And I still listen to a lot of it on old vinyl.   And it sounds surprisingly good.   Both Capitol and WB.
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »

And those USB turntables aren't even especially good.

You could just play records...
very true. not so easy on a train or in a car though  Smiley
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »

I don't know about that.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »

I don't know about that.

God, imagine having to exchange 45s every 3 minutes during a 5 hr trip... more dangerous than using a non-handsfree cellphone... police

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »

I don't know about that.

God, imagine having to exchange 45s every 3 minutes during a 5 hr trip... more dangerous than using a non-handsfree cellphone... police
Not to mention having to watch out for those potholes and bumps in the road to avoid the needle jumping.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »

I don't know about that.

Not to mention having to watch out for those potholes and bumps in the road to avoid the needle jumping.

LOL yeah, more difficult than a World Championships Ski Slalom Gold Medal...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »

I don't know about that.

LOL yeah, more difficult than a World Championships Ski Slalom Gold Medal...

If you look carefully, you'll notice she has a stack of 45s in her hand.  Check out this cool video of an identical RCA car unit playing a stack of 6 singles in a row.  A very interesting playing mech, too, as it plays the records upside down!

http://www.blueboyrecords.com/record-player/rca-automatic-45-rpm-car-record-player-model-ap-1-1961-desoto

Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »

Very cool.
Pearlfisher David
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

I don't know about that.

and do we have potholes in Bonnie Scotland right now...do we ever.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »

Are the 1990 Caribou discs no-noised or anything? I know there are some mix/version errors on them (as pointed out earlier in the thread), but they're not no-noise and/or especially compromised? I'm looking to assemble the best sources I can for (a very exhaustive digital version of) their entire catalog (even if it requires buying multiple versions of albums, compilations etc.).

Also, was the '93 box no-noised? I feel like I've seen a lot of conflicting info/opinions on this.

Edit: I done looked at a few waveforms from the 1990 Caribou L.A. just to see how they looked (I know listening matters more than how a waveform looks, don't even start with me, I am in bad mood on tricycle with arms crossed and pouting face) and the disco version of "Here Comes The Night" had some kinda compression near the end. There's some minor limiting on several tracks. I'm sure it sounds basically fine, worlds better than the 2000 two-fers, and I know it's just frigging "Here Comes The Night", but darn it, y u gotta do this to me in fucking 1990. It's just totally unnecessary. I was five years old in 1990 and you're already pulling this sh*t on me. I just get so mad sometimes I wanna break a beer bottle in three and mangle my scrotum with the sharp end of the part with the neck on it. I don't even drink beer, but I would pick up the habit if it meant I could do this in response to the 1990 Caribou disc of L.A. Light Album by The Beach Boys and the disco version of "Here Comes The Night" being compromised by digital limiting, Gosh Darn it. This is the same thing I keep getting from these Gosh Darn people. I just don't even want to bother with life anymore. I just. What the f***, man. What the f***. I can't even listen to 1990 Caribou disc of L.A. Light Album by The Beach Boys and the disco version of "Here Comes The Night" without it being compromised by digital limiting and then having to take up alcoholism in order to break a beer bottle and mangle my genitals with a broken beer bottle in response becausei jjfjjjq9af92.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:45:57 AM by runnersdialTWENTY-SIX AND SEVEN TENTHS » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »

Are the 1990 Caribou discs no-noised or anything? I know there are some mix/version errors on them (as pointed out earlier in the thread), but they're not no-noise and/or especially compromised? I'm looking to assemble the best sources I can for (a very exhaustive digital version of) their entire catalog (even if it requires buying multiple versions of albums, compilations etc.).

Also, was the '93 box no-noised? I feel like I've seen a lot of conflicting info/opinions on this.

Edit: I done looked at a few waveforms from the 1990 Caribou L.A. just to see how they looked (I know listening matters more than how a waveform looks, don't even start with me, I am in bad mood on tricycle with arms crossed and pouting face) and the disco version of "Here Comes The Night" had some kinda compression near the end. There's some minor limiting on several tracks. I'm sure it sounds basically fine, worlds better than the 2000 two-fers, and I know it's just frigging "Here Comes The Night", but darn it, y u gotta do this to me in fucking 1990. It's just totally unnecessary. I was five years old in 1990 and you're already pulling this sh*t on me. I just get so mad sometimes I wanna break a beer bottle in three and mangle my scrotum with the sharp end of the part with the neck on it. I don't even drink beer, but I would pick up the habit if it meant I could do this in response to the 1990 Caribou disc of L.A. Light Album by The Beach Boys and the disco version of "Here Comes The Night" being compromised by digital limiting, Gosh Darn it. This is the same thing I keep getting from these Gosh Darn people. I just don't even want to bother with life anymore. I just. What the f***, man. What the f***. I can't even listen to 1990 Caribou disc of L.A. Light Album by The Beach Boys and the disco version of "Here Comes The Night" without it being compromised by digital limiting and then having to take up alcoholism in order to break a beer bottle and mangle my genitals with a broken beer bottle in response becausei jjfjjjq9af92.

Hence Vinyl. BUT WE WANT IT DIGITALLY AS GOOD TOO Sad

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »

I can't stop laughing at this.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »

If you want legit flat transfers, get the 'PASTMASTERS' Japanese CDs from the late '80s, or the original Steve Hoffman Pet Sounds DCC fron '93 (the PASTMASTERS version of Pet Sounds is not a flat transfer).

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »

Whoever applied the compression/limiting did it so you wouldn't have to listen to that version of Here Comes The Night. Just doing you a favor, maaaan.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »

While we are talking abut the twofers, does anyone know why Today! has such a 'muddy' sound and is this the case with the original vinyl release?

Good question--I've always just assumed that Brian he was in the process of learning to do the wall-of-sound technique, but I have no idea if that's even historically accurate...is it?

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »

1) I managed to get all the 1990 twofers before they were taken out of production in 1994. When they were reissued in 2001, I only bought the Today/SD(ASN!!) twofer just to see if the upgrade was necessary, or if I could deal with the sound on the originals. Verdict: CRAP. Total crap. The whole thing was just a distorted mess. I decided the 1990 ones were good enough. (Wow, did those two albums sound much better on the 2012 reissues, though!)

2) Regarding the previous question about the differences in the "wrong" and "right" "Winds of Change" -- here's actually a fairly comprehensive list of Caribou anomalies:

"Surf's Up" on the US Ten Years of Harmony CD has the tape bleedthrough on the left channel; on the Euro pressing of same, it's clean.

"Winds of Change" on Caribou MIU CD -- extra harmonies in the beginning, fewer vocals at the end.

"Peggy Sue" on Caribou MIU CD -- different effect on Al's vocal

"Come Go With Me" on Caribou MIU CD and Ten Years of Harmony -- intro is not a capella, extra "A" notes on the piano on the line "You never give me a chance," extra vocals during the last verse

"Honkin' Down The Highway" on both Love You and Ten Years of Harmony -- as mentioned before, drum intro missing. (Single version, right?)

"California" and "Rock and Roll Music" on US Ten Years of Harmony -- album versions used instead of single versions; Euro pressing is correct

And the oddest one of all:

"Endless Harmony" on the Caribou Keepin' The Summer Alive CD -- just a terrible mastering job; it was obvious that nobody actually LISTENED TO THE THING. Shaky speed issues throughout. I heard there was a corrected pressing, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »

Thinking about all of this stresses me out. Being a Beach Boys fan stresses me out.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »

"Come Go With Me" on Caribou MIU CD and Ten Years of Harmony -- intro is not a capella, extra "A" notes on the piano on the line "You never give me a chance," extra vocals during the last verse

"Endless Harmony" on the Caribou Keepin' The Summer Alive CD -- just a terrible mastering job; it was obvious that nobody actually LISTENED TO THE THING. Shaky speed issues throughout. I heard there was a corrected pressing, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Thanks for all this! I noticed that "Endless Harmony" sounded fuckawful, too, and being fairly unfamiliar with the song, could not remember if it sounded so poor on other releases. ARGH. Looks like these are, barring the alternate mixes, not outright ideal otherwise. I really hate to have to compile from various sources so much, but I guess it's what I'll have to do and tweak slightly if necessary.

Also worth nothing that the alternate "Come And Go With Me" is actually the version intended for 15 Big Ones.

Thinking about all of this stresses me out. Being a Beach Boys fan stresses me out.

Same. I don't care how subtle the mixing differences are, I'm a completist and I want it all Gosh damn it (and Jeesus is there a lot of it, much of which is very difficult to track down). Cry

Whoever applied the compression/limiting did it so you wouldn't have to listen to that version of Here Comes The Night. Just doing you a favor, maaaan.

Maybe Cry but mayn, I ain't even care. For completion's sake, it's like. sh*t.

If you want legit flat transfers, get the 'PASTMASTERS' Japanese CDs from the late '80s, or the original Steve Hoffman Pet Sounds DCC fron '93 (the PASTMASTERS version of Pet Sounds is not a flat transfer).

Thanks fer this, although don't they only exist for most of the 1960s albums? Just wanted to confirm.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx