gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:02:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in studio this week  (Read 13551 times)
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:28 AM »

Brian just said on Facebook he is in the studio.  Disney album?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »

Brian just said on Facebook he is in the studio.  Disney album?

He was in the studio about a month ago as well. Yes, Disney album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:41:24 PM »

Smiley

Hope it's coming along well!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »

yeah let's get this sucker outta the way
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »

I should have commented that he re-record "The Monkey's Uncle" with Annette!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »

Sadly, I think Annette is in far from good health... but I wish he would rerecord all these disney songs with outside vocalists.  Not that his Gershwin vocals weren't wonderful, but listening to the old phil spector record with Darlene Love singing Zip a dee  doo da the other day made me think how great it would sound to have Brian Wilson produce a record of Disney songs sung by people like Darlene Love, Ronnie Spector, and LaLa Brooks.  I feel like it might energize Brian too, to be producing other artists.  And I always think of that amazing youtube clip of Brian listening to Ronnie Spectors version of Don't Worry Baby and looking like he's just gone to heaven. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »

Sadly, I think Annette is in far from good health... but I wish he would rerecord all these disney songs with outside vocalists.  Not that his Gershwin vocals weren't wonderful, but listening to the old phil spector record with Darlene Love singing Zip a dee  doo da the other day made me think how great it would sound to have Brian Wilson produce a record of Disney songs sung by people like Darlene Love, Ronnie Spector, and LaLa Brooks.  I feel like it might energize Brian too, to be producing other artists.  And I always think of that amazing youtube clip of Brian listening to Ronnie Spectors version of Don't Worry Baby and looking like he's just gone to heaven. 

I wonder how it would go if Brian were to produce a Wilson-Phillips album?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »

Is Brian really doing much producing these days?  I know that the albums say produced by Brian Wilson, I guess I have my doubts as to how much he is really doing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »

Is Brian really doing much producing these days?  I know that the albums say produced by Brian Wilson, I guess I have my doubts as to how much he is really doing.

Well, from the footage I have seen of his more recent studio efforts (I just watched the TLOS documentary) he seems to be in control (telling musicians what to play, when to play, etc). But who the hell knows what goes on when the camera is off. Personally, I'd love to see Brian have free reign to do what he wants - if he wants to sit around watching Full House all day, so be it....or if he actually wants to produce some records, he should do it - to me, it seems like he is pushed to make these records - but this is because I have absolutely no idea what goes on in Brian's mind/camp

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:27 PM »

And I always think of that amazing youtube clip of Brian listening to Ronnie Spectors version of Don't Worry Baby and looking like he's just gone to heaven. 

From the 2000 Tour Video? The one where she's sitting next to him and starts singing, and he gets up quickly and starts going downstairs? If anything, it looked like he was annoyed!

I think there' s a different clip though where someone plays it for him...that might be what you're referring to.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »

And I always think of that amazing youtube clip of Brian listening to Ronnie Spectors version of Don't Worry Baby and looking like he's just gone to heaven. 

From the 2000 Tour Video? The one where she's sitting next to him and starts singing, and he gets up quickly and starts going downstairs? If anything, it looked like he was annoyed!

I think there' s a different clip though where someone plays it for him...that might be what you're referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMdw__a77A

Also, I was under the impression that the Gershwin album was more or less a Brian Wilson production.  And (imho) a brilliant one at that! 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:25:14 PM »

"Another week in the studio for the Disney album. Finished up all my lead vocals. Great to be in a place where I can pick and choose. Wanted to do something special for my kids that they'd be into."

- Brian

From Brian's facebook page posted about 30 minutes ago. Nice to hear things are going smoothly!

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »

not too high hopes here.  not sure what to expect. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »

not too high hopes here.  not sure what to expect. 

My hopes aren't high - but if they are more obscure Disney songs I'll be looking forward to hearing them. I'd also love to hear some tunes from 'Peter Pan'...

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »

I hope he picked some songs from Disneyland attractions.  I know he's a fan of the park and visits often.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »

I hope he picked some songs from Disneyland attractions.  I know he's a fan of the park and visits often.

It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all....  Grin

I've never wanted an amusement park ride to end as badly as the times I've ridden that one. I'd love to hear him do the Pirates Of The Caribbean and make a music video for that song though.

No mas, por favor.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »

Heck, I'd like to hear him tackle the Mickey Mouse Club theme/refrain

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 06:55:07 PM »

I've never wanted an amusement park ride to end as badly as the times I've ridden that one. I'd love to hear him do the Pirates Of The Caribbean and make a music video for that song though.

Back when I was a kid Pirates of the Caribbean was a flipping great ride - now it's full of that Johnny Depp nonsense. I don't get why Disney has to f*** up stuff like that....that was a classic ride not to be tainted by hollywood's bullshit....sigh...

The only good thing that came out of the 'It's a Small World' ride was seeing someone throw an ice-cream cone from their boat, hitting one of the animatronic characters LOL. I still remember laughing for the majority of the ride due to that. Good timin'...

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:57 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Yo-Ho! (Pirates of Caribbean) and The Tiki Room song.  I think both would work great with his style.

Yo-Ho in particular has always stuck me as being very similar to "Heroes and Villains" in the way it deals with historical characters.  The main difference is that Disney actually had a format in which a 10-15 minute composition filled with variations on a single theme could actually work and be accessible to a wide audience.

Above all, I'm hoping it's full of songs that he likes and not any of the 90's pop/broadway stuff.
SG7
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »

I was sort of hoping for a Brian reimagines Faust but I think when he heard Krautrock, it scared him off...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Yo-Ho! (Pirates of Caribbean) and The Tiki Room song.  I think both would work great with his style.

Yo-Ho in particular has always stuck me as being very similar to "Heroes and Villains" in the way it deals with historical characters.  The main difference is that Disney actually had a format in which a 10-15 minute composition filled with variations on a single theme could actually work and be accessible to a wide audience.

Above all, I'm hoping it's full of songs that he likes and not any of the 90's pop/broadway stuff.

I remember starting a thread a while back asking people what Brian's influences were for SMiLE - I remember hearing that Ennio Morricone soundtracks as well as Disney soundtracks could have been influences.

I think if he picks classic and overlooked songs he'll really knock one out of the park for his fanbase.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »

Brian's production work waxes and wanes, but he's been reasonably involved in most of his solo projects.

He was quite hands' on with BWRG, in both sequencing (pre-production) and actual in-studio work. Paul Mertens did the orchestral stuff, and the band contributed (as they always do).

In TLOS, he was very involved with all the demo tracks cut in the summer of 06 (several of those came out as bonus tracks). Scotty and Darian sequenced it up as a suite, and Scott had a hand (and a co-production credit) in the final studio version.

Smile and GIOMH get fuzzier, because in each the band was essentially re-creating earlier, already produced tracks.

I think he was least involved, from a production standpoint, in the IJWMFTT album. Despite his credit, I'm reasonably sure the only thing he did was lay down vocals to Don Was's pre-recorded tracks.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:51:49 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JMdw__a77A

Also, I was under the impression that the Gershwin album was more or less a Brian Wilson production.  And (imho) a brilliant one at that!  

Yeah, that was the other clip. The one I was referring to was hilarious, in that she was sitting right next to him when she started singing a capella, and he got out of there in a hurry LOL

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »

4th classic in a row

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 12:05:59 AM »

watch that clip again. its actually a really touching scene with Brian and Ronnie.

it's edited down to about a minute, but no way was Brian annoyed or trying to get away from her.

i like how they both drop the f-bomb too. Ronnie says 'Don't Worry Baby' is "such a great blankety-blank song!" then she sings it to Brian and he goes "your voice is so blankety-blank special!"  blankety-blank classic!!!

Jeff is the one leading Brian down the stairs, and Brian says he just experienced "the biggest thrill of my life!"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx