gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 03:55:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back Home  (Read 6087 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »

Damn, I wished Brian woulda finished the 1970 version. 

And I wonder why there isn't a much better quality '63 version that exists. Sounds like the song was pretty much done, but didn't make the cut. Maybe Brian thought he'd already released Farmer's Daughter and that was enough of that subject matter (?). Good backing track and lead and background vocals, worthy of release. Maybe somebody could work with some software and bring this track up to snuff audio quality wise.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:52:02 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »

It can be done, easily.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:46:46 PM »

I've always thought that the 1963 version is one of the few unreleased Beach Boys recordings that could have been given a proper mix and just released as is. There are no bum notes or off key vocals like there are in a few other unreleased tracks. I don't really hear any need for overdubs or anything like that. All it really needs is a proper fade out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:56:22 PM »

The 63 version is tops in my book. But which album would it have fit on? Maybe Shut Down Vol. II.

It's too '63' sounding for All Summer Long.

I like where he was going in 70 but I don't think it's got the pizazz of the first one, or even the released version. I suppose they could have done a sort of earthy album at the time with some Dennis songs, Cottonfields, etc. I don't think Back Home fits on Sunflower, it's far too wholegrain wheat for that.

The released version puzzles me. I would like it better if it had the bridge in the 63 version, or even if I didn't know that there had ever been a bridge. As it is, I do kind of like it, though.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:59:33 PM by lance » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »

Fun fact: When the Beach Boys played Back Home at a concert in Michigan in 1978, Brian sang "I'm gonna spend my summer, back hooooome!", like Al does in the unreleased 1970 version.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:41:26 AM »

Fun fact: When the Beach Boys played Back Home at a concert in Michigan in 1978, Brian sang "I'm gonna spend my summer, back hooooome!", like Al does in the unreleased 1970 version.

Which concert was that? The show I saw in October, 1978 at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, MI had Brian leaving the stage mid-song during "Back Home"! Mike had to run over and grab the microphone to finish the song since Brian was performing the lead.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:53:44 AM »

Which concert was that? The show I saw in October, 1978 at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, MI had Brian leaving the stage mid-song during "Back Home"! Mike had to run over and grab the microphone to finish the song since Brian was performing the lead.

I guess Brian suddenly realized he wanted to be "Back Home" so he left?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »

I guess Brian suddenly realized he wanted to be "Back Home" so he left?

Reminds me of Presley cuttin' a song in the sudio called "Goin' home" and on the outtakes you can hear him saying "I don't know how to improve on that, except for goin' home"   Cheesy  Maybe Brian had the same idea

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »

1978 gigs in Michigan:

August:
11 - Pine Knob, Clarkston MI
12 - Pine Knob, Clarkston MI
13 - Pine Knob, Clarkston MI
25 - Buccaneer Stadium, Grand Haven, MI [w/Jan & Dean]

October:
27 - Crisler Arena, Ann Arbor, MI

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »

It was the 8/25/78 concert in Grand Haven, MI. Right before Bruce's permanently temporary return less than a month later.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:18:14 PM »

It was the 8/25/78 concert in Grand Haven, MI. Right before Bruce's permanently temporary return less than a month later.

Thanks - just curious since it reminded me of the embarrassing moment during the October show. Brian's departure, by the way, was literally in mid-line during the second verse (Brian was on bass as well which he set down as he left the stage).

The odd thing about my memory of that show is that I do not recall Bruce being there. I certainly knew who he was and I was relatively close to the stage, so seeing him would have been a pleasant surprise. But no, no memory of him being there at all. I know the official word is that Bruce was present at the Crisler Arena show, but did anyone else here attend that particular show who can confirm that Bruce participated?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »

Thanks - just curious since it reminded me of the embarrassing moment during the October show. Brian's departure, by the way, was literally in mid-line during the second verse (Brian was on bass as well which he set down as he left the stage).

The odd thing about my memory of that show is that I do not recall Bruce being there. I certainly knew who he was and I was relatively close to the stage, so seeing him would have been a pleasant surprise. But no, no memory of him being there at all. I know the official word is that Bruce was present at the Crisler Arena show, but did anyone else here attend that particular show who can confirm that Bruce participated?
Was there sny explanation or reason given as to why Brian suddenly left?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »

nature called

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »

Brian gestured to his ear as he left the stage, so it may have been bothering him. I see that as more of an excuse given how unpredictable he was during this period. After the song concluded, Mike stated that Brian had been partying too much the night before and had too much of a hangover to continue. He encouraged the crowd to "Boo Brian!" which I found very embarrassing; it was obvious that Mike was trying to do some damage control and make light of Brian's bizarre behavior. It was only a few songs later when Dennis was almost forcibly removed from his drum kit. He returned during the encore to stand on top of the grand piano and pretend to machine gun the audience with a broom (Al announced: "Ladies and Gentleman, the return of Dennis Wilson!"). Dennis then proceeded to perform a fairly drunken version of "You Are So Beautiful".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:13:03 AM »

The 1976 verison of Back Home still rocks in my book!

“We live in divisive times.”
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »

The 1976 verison of Back Home still rocks in my book!

I agree. The 76 version has that chorus which just takes the whole song somewhere cool. When I hear different version hunger for that chorus that never comes.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »

What if...

The Beach Boys had released Back Home in 1963, would it have affected the legacy?
It would in my ears had become a top 20 song... and deverted the band from the "surf and fun"-branding they still have in many peoples
eyes...

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »

What if...

The Beach Boys had released Back Home in 1963, would it have affected the legacy?
It would in my ears had become a top 20 song... and deverted the band from the "surf and fun"-branding they still have in many peoples
eyes...

I can't imagine it would have had too big an impact. Keep in mind that "In My Room" was a considerable hit from '63 and yet this beautifully introspective song did little to divert the "surf and fun" branding.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »

No more impact the One After 909 would have impacted the Beatles if the original version had been released. Which is to say "not at all".
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 10:52:24 AM »

No more impact the One After 909 would have impacted the Beatles if the original version had been released. Which is to say "not at all".

I prefer the demo version of 909 so...

But! The Back Home 1963 has a production style that wasn't used before in beach boys land...

screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 03:32:01 PM »

Had it been a hit, would that have led to more saxophone-driven songs? If so, I pass.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »

Had it been a hit, would that have led to more saxophone-driven songs? If so, I pass.
*like*

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 05:48:17 PM »

If the '63 version of "Back Home" was released at the time, psychedelic rock would've never happened.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »

Honestly, I think Back Home woulda sounded great on the Surfer Girl album. With that drum pounding start, it sounds so much like a Surfer Girl era tune (which I think it was).

Then it woulda been cool had Brian re-visit (as he did) Back Home for the Sunflower album (and it fits the theme: "Back yards where folks keep their SUNFLOWERS growin)

Then re-visit again for 15 Big Ones as a rocker in concert and the album.

Brian re-visits/references so many songs, it's hard to keep em all straight.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 11:49:24 PM »

He likes playing mix and match.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx