gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:54:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fascinating... :-)  (Read 10097 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

Not having heard the '70 version of "Back Home" before, I was surprised they reused the verse melody from "Merry Christmas, Baby". While previously unreleased melodies were fair game for rewrites and re-recordings throughout the 60s and early 70s, I can't think of another Beach Boys track from this period that blatantly reuses a released song's melody. Maybe that's one of the reasons "Back Home" didn't make the cut until '76, by which time Brian rewrote the verse melody.

The 1975 recording of "Back Home" used on 15BO is melodically and lyrically almost identical to the version Brian cut at the same Western session as the track for "Run-Around Lover", June 14th 1963. Thus, not a re-write.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »

What about "Little Deuce Cope" and "Little Saint Nick"? LOL
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »

What about "Little Deuce Cope" and "Little Saint Nick"? LOL

Similar, but the melodies are different!

As to AGD's comment: Right, I forgot about the track cut in '63 (which I have heard); interesting that Brian just went back to his original inspiration.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »

Here we go again - another nice gig, pro-shot, good sound.  Different YouTube contributor.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »

Here we go again - another nice gig, pro-shot, good sound.  Different YouTube contributor.
Link, please?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 09:52:52 PM »

The 1975 recording of "Back Home" used on 15BO is melodically and lyrically almost identical to the version Brian cut at the same Western session as the track for "Run-Around Lover", June 14th 1963. Thus, not a re-write.

Forgive me if I've missed something in that statement, Andrew, but as you probably know, the '63 version of "Back Home" has very different lyrics than the '76 version. Even the melody in some places is different. It sure seems like a re-write to me.

Same with the '70 version. I wish Brian and Al would have finished that. Sounds like around the time Brian & Al's "Good Time" was recorded. Same kinda piano as the "Awake" demo too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »

The lyrics for the 1963 version are the exact same as the 15BO version, except for a middle eight(?) section that was cut out. It's the 1970 version that is very different from the 15BO version.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:38 PM »

Intro and middle of the song is different between the two, Jay. I ain't an amateur here when it comes to these here Beach Boys songs, both released and unreleased. But thanks for comin' by, eh?

"Well I miss bein’ here with ya’all but I won’t be frettin’. Well I’ll be workin’ with Pa till we hear that “Come and get it!”

I'd venture to say that's the late great Steve Douglas on sax!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »

Judge for yourselves:

Back Home 1963

... and I clean forgot about the chorus being absent, but it's obvious even to George Harrison that it's the same song.

BTW, it's "won't regret it", not "won't be frettin'"... and yes, Mr. D on sax.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 01:17:51 AM »

OK, given some of the horrible factual errors in recent postings - California's "Jamaica Farewell" credited to "Beach Boys (Mike Love)", and a track from the first Flame album listed as a BB song - I've refined my theory that these might be "official" leaks... or if they are, then said officialdom knows roughly as much about The Beach Boys as I do about electoral procedure in the 17th century Songhai empire.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 02:34:04 AM »

Not entirely out of the realms of possibility... But an 'official' bootleg youtube channel seems too good to be true. I think this is someone reupping the collection.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:02 AM »

And I clean forgot about the chorus being absent, but it's obvious even to George Harrison that it's the same song.

Well if George thought it was the same, it must be the same!  Except for the intro and the middle part of the song. And AGD forgot to put the song in the "Unreleased" section of his site! How come? Not considered unreleased?

BTW, it's "won't regret it.

It sure is, by golly!  I was in a hurry to answer Mr. Jay's correction.  Jay is a smart cookie, you know!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »

And I clean forgot about the chorus being absent, but it's obvious even to George Harrison that it's the same song.

Well if George thought it was the same, it must be the same!  Except for the intro and the middle part of the song. And AGD forgot to put the song in the "Unreleased" section of his site! How come? Not considered unreleased?

Because "Back Home", composed by Wilson B. & Norberg R. has been released. Well, can't speak for everyone else, of course, but it's on my copy of 15 Big Ones.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »

Maybe it's just a finger print of familiarity but the chorus on the 15BO version just makes the song feel like it's going somewhere.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »

BTW, it's "won't regret it.

It sure is, by golly!  I was in a hurry to answer Mr. Jay's correction.  Jay is a smart cookie, you know!
I shouldn't dignify your smart ass tone with a reply, but you're starting to really piss me off. Perhaps you, Mr. Mikie, should brush up on your beach boys 101. Perhaps then you wouldn't feel so flustered when people correct your misinformation.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »

Jay bud. I've been a fan and collector of The Beach Boys since 1970.  And as unbelievable as it may seem, between 1970 and now, I've picked up a few things here and there, material wise and knowledge wise, concerning the band.

When were you born, son?  How long have you been into the Beach Boys?  Just curious.

P.S. Oh yeah, between you and me? I don't give a rat's posterior if I piss you off!  Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »

man it's hot in here

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »

Link, please?
Sorry folks, here y'go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs_sLXjkffc

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »

I've had that show on VHS for ages...
Nothing new about it
//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »

Nothing new about it
//RD

Fair do's -  new to me!

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »

Nothing new about it
//RD

Fair do's -  new to me!

True, just saying that it hasn't surfaced mystically like the Olympia or 1backoffice

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 02:11:02 AM »

It may not be a Beach Boys expert putting this stuff up there.

I think the latest upload proves this beyond doubt. It's listed as "Dennis Wilson" - Seasons (vocal)".  What it actually is, is a track from Elton John's soundtrack to the 1971 Friends movie, complete with EJ vocals towards the end. Either this guy doesn't listen before uploading, or he has seriously impaired hearing.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 03:06:25 AM »

I've got a very good feeling that I know who this person is. He was suspended once already. He had some curios Imagination "outtakes", that didn't sound much like Brian at all. He also uploaded the Brian and Mike version of Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love, and the River Deep, Mountain High outtake.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »

Not having heard the '70 version of "Back Home" before, I was surprised they reused the verse melody from "Merry Christmas, Baby". While previously unreleased melodies were fair game for rewrites and re-recordings throughout the 60s and early 70s, I can't think of another Beach Boys track from this period that blatantly reuses a released song's melody. Maybe that's one of the reasons "Back Home" didn't make the cut until '76, by which time Brian rewrote the verse melody.

The 1975 recording of "Back Home" used on 15BO is melodically and lyrically almost identical to the version Brian cut at the same Western session as the track for "Run-Around Lover", June 14th 1963. Thus, not a re-write.  Grin

Wait, is this post stating that the sunflower era version of Back Home borrows from Merry Christmas Baby?  and the 75 cut of Back Home borrows from Run-Around Lover? Or is it stating that the 75 version is identical to the version cut at the same place and/or date as where Run-Around Lover was cut?   

I think didn't read this in context.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »

The 1975 recording of "Back Home" used on 15BO is melodically and lyrically almost identical to the version Brian cut at the same Western session as the track for "Run-Around Lover", June 14th 1963. Thus, not a re-write.  Grin

Wait, is this post stating that the sunflower era version of Back Home borrows from Merry Christmas Baby?  and the 75 cut of Back Home borrows from Run-Around Lover? Or is it stating that the 75 version is identical to the version cut at the same place and/or date as where Run-Around Lover was cut?  

I think didn't read this in context.

The released 15 BIG ONES version of "Back Home" uses the same verse melody that Brian used back when he first cut the song back in '63 (apparently recorded during the same session in which he cut "Run-around Lover"); the unreleased version of "Back Home" from 1970 changes the verse melody to the one already used in "Merry Christmas, Baby". Therefore, Brian returned to his original melody when reworking the song for release on 15 BIG ONES.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:32:47 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx