gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:59:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best sounding Pet Sounds mono?  (Read 8469 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 10:36:30 AM »

Ok, I can hear it. I was listening to the wrong part...dumb me.

Thanks for the clarification!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 10:44:21 AM »

I think it was Bruce who said that Carl's attempt was taped at the end of a very long session when he was out of steam.  Brian redid that part at a later session, apparently on a different multi-track master, and it was edited in.  They have not been able to locate this.  Same kind of story with Mike's bridge on "WIBN", although that was corrected on the 2001 release (they either found that missing multi-rrack, or somehow transferred in the bridge from the mono mix while keeping the stereo sound).

Mark's technical notes seem to indicate that the parts were taped over, rather than sourced from seperate multi-track masters.  But it does seem like what is on the multi-tracks that exist would be the opposite of what you'd expect.  You'd think Mike would tape over Brian's guide, and Carl over Brian's guide, yet Brian's on the WIBN bridge multi, and Brian is on the final mono mix of GOK.

Certainly would seem to me that logically, we might be currently working from a seperate earlier multitrack...but I dunno.  I'll see if I can get Alan over here...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 10:48:41 AM by aeijtzsche » Logged
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »

I'm just popping in to say that I greatly prefer Carl's "tired" vocal at the end of GOK to Brian's vocal on that one line. Carl's sounded so lush (similar to the "I love you" from PLMW) whereas Brian's (and his vocal for the song on the other version) always sounded too forced.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2006, 03:20:30 AM »

I never understood and probably never will understand why people can be so obsessed about alternate mixes and remasters and stuff like that... It's all the same music...

(no offense, just my personal opinion)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:23:07 AM by shelter » Logged
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 09:14:20 AM »

I can only tell you what interests ME about it. Alternate mixes (to a sound guy like myself) is a peek into the mixing process that either came close to what was wanted, but fell short, and from the alternate mix compared to the final mix, you can figure out what was going thru their mind, what direction they were going, and what settings it took to get there. Sometimes alternate mixes have instruments and arrangements that were wiped off of the final mix, and that is great stuff. Then other times you will be treated to an outtake, or a completely different take of the familiar song, all of which are fascinating to me. Remasters I get a little less excited about, but it is still the old takes , but heard in a different way, which creates a new listening experience. I'm just thinking out loud, and typing at the same time, so I hope this is making some sense.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »

Makes a lot of sense.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 08:56:07 AM »

I just ordered a copy of the DCC disc, which I'm really looking forward to hearing.  What's the differences between that and the more recent mono/stereo edition.  It was described above as more 'vinyl-sounding'.  Does that mean it's 'warmer', or what else?  I don't have a record player or would have purchased one on vinyl.  So I want the next best thing, but can't really go down the dvd-a route.

Paid quite a bit more than what it presumably was initially (I bought a Blonde on Blonde gold disc years ago that was £18.99).  How much is it really worth these days?  Or, rather, I guess, how much would you pay for a copy?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 09:01:25 AM »

It is a lot "warmer" and "vinyl-sounding". The bass is simply incredible. However, it´s not an option for me, since I prefer stereo over mono. If you like the mono-mix, you will LOVE the DCC-version.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 03:30:58 AM »

Excellent.  I do like the stereo a lot, but ultimately prefer the mono.  Cheers.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 04:21:57 AM »

I was blessed to find an origianl vinyl copy last year...bit scratchy...I have the 1990 CD and the 1999 2fer and I prefer the 1990 mono over the 1999 2fer mono as it has too much tape hiss.

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx