gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:59:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best sounding Pet Sounds mono?  (Read 8432 times)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2006, 04:55:10 PM »

Alright by reading various threads, it seems the consensous is that the CATP/PS vinyl twofer has the best sounding mono mix of Pet Sounds.  That's all fine and dandy if I 1) had a record player that worked and 2) had a copy of it or 2a) someone sent me a CDR rip of it...  *hint hint*

Since that's not the case, what's the best sounding mono version available on CD?  Is it still the DCC Gold disc (which I do own and love BTW)?

How does the Advanced Resolution Mono from the DVD-A compare?

And for Mark and Alan, how will the 40th Anniversary version sound?

Sorry for the dumb questions but if you're gonna listen to the best album of all time, why not listen to the best version of it?

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »

I love both the DCC version and the 2001 mono tranfer by Mark. I know that the 2001 tranfer was done with the 1996 mono boxset tapes but the 2001 version sounds better. I know that it was mastered louder from playing through my DAT's digital imputs.

Anyone else?

PS - Going through my BB stuff about a month ago I found a Carl & The Passions / Pet Sounds set still sealed in the shrink wrap.

Man, I gotta check this stuff out more often.
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »

someone sent me a CDR rip of it...  *hint hint*

Defeats the purpose IMO.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »

Defeats the purpose IMO.

Okie... come May once I graduate (finally) and get some money (finally) I'll invest in a decent turntable and some vinyl   Tongue

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 05:30:32 PM »

Defeats the purpose IMO.

I dunno, recorded audio in general is just one big series of defeating the purpose.  Recording defeats the original purpose of music, bringing people together for ritual, putting an instrument on tape degrades the sound of that instrument, then mixing that down to another tape degrades that, then putting that sound on vinyl degrades the sound again, what's another step?

And Scene.

Excerpt from "The Devil's Advocate"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 08:28:03 PM »

Yes, the best sounding "Pet Sounds" is the mono.
Oh sorry, I thought it was a question...
ha ha.

C-Man
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 08:36:41 PM »

Defeats the purpose IMO.

No, it still sounds better. IMO.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:38:51 PM »

If the CATP is one gen closer to the original master -- and by all accounts it is, more so than any CD version that has ever come out, more so than even 1966 Capitol vinyl -- then it could easily blow away the CD at all levels, even as a needledrop.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:39:23 PM »

I know lots of folks have a fondness for the '93 DCC gold disc, and that does probably sound the most "vinyl-like" of all the CD issues.  That said, a few nights back I listened to the 2001 issue on my very nice Polk Audio speakers in the control room of my studio, and it sounded freakin' AMAZING.

C-Man
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 11:26:31 PM »

Who cares? We have the album in stereo and in surround sound!!! Who wants to listen to outdated mono???

Tongue

PS: The DCC Gold CD is wonderful and my favorite.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 04:47:42 AM »

People can prefer Brian's original "mixed in one day" version of the album,
but nobody that isn't an audio snob will say the mono SOUNDS better
then the stereo mix.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 04:52:23 AM »

then the stereo mix.

Except that the mono is the only place to find some of the origial elements, like Brian singing the lead line on the "GOK" tag.   I do appreciate the stereo, but man, the Carl line on the stereo version is just plain weaker...I cringe everytime I hear it.  Brian's performance is just so much stronger.  And "official", since that the performance he went with in '66 (with good reason, IMO).

C-Man
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 07:08:59 AM »

then the stereo mix.

Guess I'm a snob.

Actually I prefer the original because it is the original, mixed by the man himself.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 09:28:20 AM »

If the DCC is too expensive for your tastes, then I'd get the DVD-A transfer made by Mark - it's definitely the best currently available version out there.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »

Except that the mono is the only place to find some of the origial elements, like Brian singing the lead line on the "GOK" tag.   I do appreciate the stereo, but man, the Carl line on the stereo version is just plain weaker...I cringe everytime I hear it.  Brian's performance is just so much stronger.  And "official", since that the performance he went with in '66 (with good reason, IMO).

C-Man

whoa...what?

when/why were the elements of the song changed during the re-mixdown?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 09:53:24 AM »

when/why were the elements of the song changed during the re-mixdown?

Brian taped over vocals on both WIBN and GOK shortly after "finishing" the songs.  Why?  Who knows?  He liked to tinker.  But Mike's bridge vocals on WIBN and Brian's first tag line on GOK are both lost to that exercise. 
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 09:59:22 AM »

Was it that he taped over them or was it that those parts were added during the mono mix?  I thought in at least WIBN Brian was live mixing a final part in during the last phase of mixing....
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 10:03:59 AM »

They were taped over.

You Still Believe In Me was the track that lost one of Brian's double leads because it was added live to mono.  Apparently Caroline, No would have suffered a similar fate but Chuck forgot to unpatch something and ended up with a mono double-vocal only run through on a reel somewhere.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 10:04:31 AM »

Ok, so they already had the Mono mixdowns completed, and the later versions that were mixed down (linett's stereo mixes) are the ones with what Brian recorded over? Meaning in the mono version its Brian on the tag at GOK and that the stereo mix its Carl instead?

This is hella confusing.

--
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 10:05:34 AM »

Ok, so they already had the Mono mixdowns completed, and the later versions that were mixed down (linett's stereo mixes) are the ones with what Brian recorded over? Meaning in the mono version its Brian on the tag at GOK and that the stereo mix its Carl instead?

That's correct.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »

Gosh darn, excuse my ignorance...but were talkin about 'what id beeeee wiiiiitthhhouuuut yoouuu...god only knows...what id beeee wiiiittth'

right?

i left my headphones at home so I cant really listen to them back to back and try to hear the difference.

--
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 10:16:57 AM »

They were taped over.

You Still Believe In Me was the track that lost one of Brian's double leads because it was added live to mono.  Apparently Caroline, No would have suffered a similar fate but Chuck forgot to unpatch something and ended up with a mono double-vocal only run through on a reel somewhere.

OK, that makes sense.  I knew that happened in at least one spot.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 10:21:01 AM »

Gosh darn, excuse my ignorance...but were talkin about 'what id beeeee wiiiiitthhhouuuut yoouuu...god only knows...what id beeee wiiiittth'

right?

No, that was never taped over and remains on the stereo mix.  The line that was taped over is the first part of the "round" right after the last verse ends: "God only knows what I'd be without you."

The story is that Carl was too tired to go on at that point, so Brian handled two parts while Bruce took the middle part.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 10:30:20 AM »

right?

i left my headphones at home so I cant really listen to them back to back and try to hear the difference.

No, I believe that part is identical on mono & stereo, but the main vocal on the tag, the first one to appear, is a strong Brian on the mono and a weak Carl on the stereo.  I think it was Bruce who said that Carl's attempt was taped at the end of a very long session when he was out of steam.  Brian redid that part at a later session, apparently on a different multi-track master, and it was edited in.  They have not been able to locate this.  Same kind of story with Mike's bridge on "WIBN", although that was corrected on the 2001 release (they either found that missing multi-rrack, or somehow transferred in the bridge from the mono mix while keeping the stereo sound).

C-Man
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 10:31:15 AM »

That's correct.

I'm not sure that's completely correct. To clarify: there were certain elements that Brian added during the original mono mixdown that only exist on the mono mixdown tape. Since these elements were mixed in with everything else and could not be isolated, Mark could not include them in the stereo or surround mixes. Instead, he went with whatever material existed on the multitracks that could be isolated and remixed into stereo and surround (Carl's weak lead into the GOK tag and Brian doing the WIBN bridge instead of Mike among a couple of other anomalies). For accuracy, Mark did attempt later to isolate (through phasing) Mike's WIBN bridge so it could appear on the stereo version reissued in 2001. Sonically, however, this conceit didn't hold up when heard in high definition, so Brian's original bridge vocal returned for the stereo/surround DVD-A release of 2003.

Incidentally, this kind of thing happened again with the "Hawthorne" stereo remix of "Vegetables". The vibe part on the original mix's tag was added during the mono mixdown session in '67 and could not be isolated. Therefore it is missing from the stereo remix completed by Mark.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx