gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680714 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 12:08:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows question?  (Read 2427 times)
junkbondtrader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »

I read somewhere that Carl was tired and left the GOK sessions before the coda at the end was completed so Brian sang on that.

My question is did they ever do a take with Carl singing at the end and does it circulate if they did?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:25:20 AM »

Carl is on the coda of the stereo mix.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:26:15 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »

As drbeachboy said, Carl IS on the stereo version.  Bruce Johnston told me this is one of his problems with the stereo mix.  He strongly prefers the two Brians on the vocal round at the end (clearly so did Brian when he mixed it).  Bruce has every respect for Carl as a vocalist and loves Carl's lead but says he was out of gas by the time it came to laying down vocals for the end of the song.

I love the stereo mix as the seperation is wonderful and it reveals so much, but details like this (and especially the verse leads of You Still Believe in Me) keep me going back to the mono as it better represents Brian's vision for the record.  As I say, no disrespect to Mark's wonderful remix it is just that several bits that were added at mixdown couldn't be accessed.  Such a beautiful song...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:34:26 AM by Rich Panteluk » Logged
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:21:22 AM »

As drbeachboy sais, Carl IS on the stereo version.  Bruce Johnston told me this is one of his problems with the stereo mix.  He strongly prefers the two Brians on the vocal round at the end (clearly so did Brian when he mixed it).  Bruce has every respect for Carl as a vocalist and loves Carl's lead but says he was out of gas by the time it came to laying down the end of the song.

I love the stereo mix as the seperation is wonderful and it reveals so much, but details like this (and especially the verse leads of You Still Believe in Me) keep me going back to the mono as it better represents Brian's vision for the record.  As I say no disrespect to Mark's wonderful remix it is just that several bits that were added at mixdown couldn't be accessed.  Such a beautiful song...

Really, I didn't know that, thanks.

Yes, Carl is a bit wavery isn't he, but after his first part of the coda he sounds ok.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »

Yes, Carl is a bit wavery isn't he, but after his first part of the coda he sounds ok.

...and on the mono mix, Brian only replaced Carl's vocal on the first line of the coda, right?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »

...and on the mono mix, Brian only replaced Carl's vocal on the first line of the coda, right?

I thought it was the opposite. Carl on the mono coda (Carl, Bruce, Brian) and Brian on the stereo (Brian, Bruce, Brian)?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:41:55 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »

I thought it was the opposite. Carl on the mono coda (Carl, Bruce, Brian) and Brian on the stereo (Brian, Bruce, Brian)?

Nope, exactly the opposite of that - on the mono mix, it's Brian/Bruce/Brian, with Brian taking all of Carl's part from the stereo mix.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:38:41 AM »

You lot are starting to confuse me! On the stereo, Carl is there for the first two 'rounds', to be doubled by Brian after that. On the mono, Brian overdubs himself over all of Carl. Got it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »

Here's how it happened.

Carl became tired (or fed up or just wasn't in the mood) and decided to leave the vocal session.

Therefore, Brian records a guide vocal of himself singing Carl's part.

Brian makes a mono mixdown of this version containing just himself and Bruce on the fade.

At a later time, Carl returns to the studio to record his part of the vocal round.

Carl records his part, simultaneously erasing Brian's guide vocals.

Brian later decides he likes the ending with just him and Bruce sounds better and splices his original mono mixdown containing just him and Bruce on the fade into the final mixdown.

This means in 1996, when Mark Linett creates the stereo mix, all that exists on the multi-track tape is Carl, Bruce, and Brian's falsetto parts.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:32:21 AM by JaredLekites » Logged

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx