gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:48:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Smile Mix  (Read 4009 times)
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »

Another Smile mix

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBB2AHiHpbk

Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZIDsb8b40&feature=feedu

Part Three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONANfUAm7to

Part Four (Final):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MESkmzb8yBQ

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:11:06 PM by Camus » Logged
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:33:50 AM »

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:08:49 AM by Camus » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:43:36 AM »

Wow!  Bring on the boxed set! Or a download-able version. Love it!

There should be no doubt as to "completion..."  Wink

oldsurferdude
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »

Should read...Yet Another Smile Mix. Roll Eyes
Jason
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »

A very Lovester-like statement...
oldsurferdude
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »

No need for the below the belt insult. But the plethora of Smile mixes, edits and other malarkey wears thin, monsieur. Huh
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »

No need for the below the belt insult. But the plethora of Smile mixes, edits and other malarkey wears thin, monsieur. Huh

Whenever I get sick of something I just ignore it....thus avoiding confrontation with the people that aren't sick of said thing. I personally enjoy listening to the many different SMiLE mixes and I'm looking forward to hearing this latest one!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »

Cheesy That's what I very nearly named the thread.  No offense taken at all.

Wow!  Bring on the boxed set! Or a download-able version. Love it!

There should be no doubt as to "completion..."  Wink

Thanks.  I should have the rest of it up soon.  The idea behind this mix is the bicycle rider idea of traveling from Plymouth Rock to Hawaii.  A lot of the tracks I've constructed myself from the various modular sections.  I was particularly happy with H&V PtII and With Me Tonight.  I've never heard anyone else synch the demo of I'm In Great Shape to the backing track either (though I'm sure someone else has).  Synching the full backing harmonies to Surf's Up (with full Brian Wilson vocal) was a particular highlight of putting it together.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »

this gonna be downloadable somehow?  sounds great so far.

watch out though, cause you'll notice no other SMiLE stuff is on youtube.  got taken down.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of Smile stuff disappearing.  I reckon it's only a matter of time before this gets pulled.  I might have a chat to Warnakey about alternatives.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »

I want to hear the mix on Darian's laptop.   I read that he had ALL of it that was available.  Anyone back this up?
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »

Good stuff - throughly enjoyed it.  You can never have too many SMiLE mixes - maybe it'll pressure Capitol to finally open the vaults.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »

really good mix, I'd also love to hear exactly what Darian has on his hard drive, must be absolutely mind-blowing !
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »

this gonna be downloadable somehow?  sounds great so far.

watch out though, cause you'll notice no other SMiLE stuff is on youtube.  got taken down.

go to mediaconverter.org - then click on the 'enter a link' button, cut and past the youtube link into the space provided...it's basically self explanatory...but don't forget to check the 'advanced options' box to be able to change the bitrate to 128kbs

I tried downloading the 'Pollytones' cover of BWPS but it didn't work for me. But most of the time it works.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »

This is the best site I've found for keeping YT vids:

http://keepvid.com/

Part two and three are just loading to YT now.  Before any Smile purists say anything, I was not going for a completion of Smile circa 1967.  Think of this more as what if they'd released it in 1970.  This will become clear when you look at the full track list:

Welcome
Heroes and Villains Part One (Brian Wilson's Cantina mix)
Do You Like Worms (my own edit conforming pretty much with the 2004 Roll Plymouth Rock)
Surf's Up (my own mix conforming to the Surf's Up album arrangement but with full Brian Wilson vocal and full backing harmonies)
I'm in Great Shape/Barnyard/Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine (Brian Wilson demo vocals synched to IIGS and Barnyard)
With Me Tonight (my own edit using Smile recording of WMT with alternative take of H&V intro and alt take of Eat A Lot)
Heroes and Villains Part Two(my own edit using various H&V bits, another alt take of H&V intro, bicycle rider theme etc..)
Wonderful
Look (AKA I Ran)
Cabin Essence
Holidays
Prayer (Smile original, not 20/20 overdub)
Good Vibrations
Elements I - Fire (Mrs O'Leary's Cow)
Elements II - Earth (Vege-Table) (using I've got a big bag of vegetables radio add and Smile era Vege-Table)
Elements III - Wind (Windchimes) (my own edit using Windchimes tag and Smile era Windchimes)
Elements IV - Water (My own edit using piano outro of windchimes, water chant and parts of Wild Honey Cool Cool Water and alt take of Love to say Dada)
Diamond Head (From Friends album, it fits so well, what with the thunderstorm (amp/spring reverb) intro plus it gets you to Hawaii)
He Gives Speeches
Child Is Father of the Man (my own edit, not happy with this one)
Love to say Dada

The idea behind IIGS/Barnyard/OMP/YWMS/WMT was to cover an entire day.  IIGS = waking up in the morning, Barnyard being work in the morning, OMP work in the afternoon and YWMS being the end of the day and WMT being night time.  So it's a Barnyard/mid west suite to compliment the Elements suite.

Links coming as soon as they're loaded

People have been Mentioning if it will be available elsewhere.....

YOU TUBE has just rejected parts two and three for being too long, even though individually they're shorter than part one  Huh
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:59:51 PM by Camus » Logged
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

I want to hear the mix on Darian's laptop.   I read that he had ALL of it that was available.  Anyone back this up?
I'd like to know as well.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »

Part Two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffZIDsb8b40&feature=feedu
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 02:33:50 AM »

Lovely stuff ! On parts 1 & 2 there's a couple of moments of Smile recordings I've not heard, little sections of Barnyard and Holidays to name two of them. Good to use the "proper" version of GV as well.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

Lovely stuff ! On parts 1 & 2 there's a couple of moments of Smile recordings I've not heard, little sections of Barnyard and Holidays to name two of them. Good to use the "proper" version of GV as well.

Thanks very much for the kind words Smiley  I'm really pleased everyone is enjoying this mix so much.

Which bits in particular hadn't you heard before?

Part Three:

Part Four (Final):

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:11:54 PM by Camus » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 04:04:24 PM »

Wow!  Formidable!

It supports the intense effort that these guys put forth nearly 45 years ago...

Masterful vocals, orchestration...a true work of art!

Does anyone really understand what it all means?  Maybe not.

True art, like the Mona Lisa is sometimes a mystery, and yet we are drawn to it...

It matters only that it pleases us and we truly enjoy it...

I waited to hear this since I was a sophomore in high school! 

Bravo to our Boys! It has always been a masterpiece!  Wink

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 05:27:31 PM »

Thanks very much for the kind words Smiley  I'm really pleased everyone is enjoying this mix so much.

Which bits in particular hadn't you heard before?

Part Three:

Part Four (Final):

The parts I hadn't heard before are the parts not covered by my poor quality bootlegs, basically this mix has filled in some of the gaps ! Interesting use of Diamond Head in Part 4, not sure if actually a Smile recording as documented elsewhere, but it certainly fits in to the general scheme of things, doesn't sound out of place, making its inclusion plausible. Have never heard "He Gives Speeches" before, very interesting alternative to the released "Fall Breaks" !
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:30:26 PM by D409 » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 06:36:08 PM »

With humble acquiescence, I hereby apologize for my acrimonious comment targeted at a most stunning mix of Smile. You, sir, rock! Grin
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 05:32:47 AM »

I want to hear the mix on Darian's laptop.   I read that he had ALL of it that was available.  Anyone back this up?

Apparently he had access to a recording of Look where the clarinet melody was audible through a microphone bleed, hence the 'vintage' clarinet part in Song For Children. I would love to hear that version of Look.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:35:19 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »

This is the best site I've found for keeping YT vids:

http://keepvid.com/

Part two and three are just loading to YT now.  Before any Smile purists say anything, I was not going for a completion of Smile circa 1967.  Think of this more as what if they'd released it in 1970.  This will become clear when you look at the full track list:

Welcome
Heroes and Villains Part One (Brian Wilson's Cantina mix)
Do You Like Worms (my own edit conforming pretty much with the 2004 Roll Plymouth Rock)
Surf's Up (my own mix conforming to the Surf's Up album arrangement but with full Brian Wilson vocal and full backing harmonies)
I'm in Great Shape/Barnyard/Old Master Painter/You Were My Sunshine (Brian Wilson demo vocals synched to IIGS and Barnyard)
With Me Tonight (my own edit using Smile recording of WMT with alternative take of H&V intro and alt take of Eat A Lot)
Heroes and Villains Part Two(my own edit using various H&V bits, another alt take of H&V intro, bicycle rider theme etc..)
Wonderful
Look (AKA I Ran)
Cabin Essence
Holidays
Prayer (Smile original, not 20/20 overdub)
Good Vibrations
Elements I - Fire (Mrs O'Leary's Cow)
Elements II - Earth (Vege-Table) (using I've got a big bag of vegetables radio add and Smile era Vege-Table)
Elements III - Wind (Windchimes) (my own edit using Windchimes tag and Smile era Windchimes)
Elements IV - Water (My own edit using piano outro of windchimes, water chant and parts of Wild Honey Cool Cool Water and alt take of Love to say Dada)
Diamond Head (From Friends album, it fits so well, what with the thunderstorm (amp/spring reverb) intro plus it gets you to Hawaii)
He Gives Speeches
Child Is Father of the Man (my own edit, not happy with this one)
Love to say Dada

The idea behind IIGS/Barnyard/OMP/YWMS/WMT was to cover an entire day.  IIGS = waking up in the morning, Barnyard being work in the morning, OMP work in the afternoon and YWMS being the end of the day and WMT being night time.  So it's a Barnyard/mid west suite to compliment the Elements suite.

Links coming as soon as they're loaded

People have been Mentioning if it will be available elsewhere.....

YOU TUBE has just rejected parts two and three for being too long, even though individually they're shorter than part one  Huh

These are the kind of smile mixes i like, ones with Smile-like tracks from other albums....i just need to find onethat incorporates time to get alone, country Air, wistle in, day in the life of a tree, sail on sailor ( Grin), and it would be cool to use the vocal coda from Don't go near the water
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:18:14 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx