gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:50:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charles Lloyd Interview  (Read 2144 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »

Lets say, entirely hypothetically, that Charles Lloyd is playing a show at my university, and that given my contacts in the music dept., at the venue, etc., I might possibly be able to ask him a few questions about his time with the Beach Boys.  What kinds of things might people want to know or ask?  If you could ask Charles Lloyd one questions, what would it be? 

Also, have any Beach Boys researchers/biographers/fans interviewed him about his time with the Beach Boys?  Could anyone point me towards these kinds of things?  Lloyd was a relative outsider playing with the Beach Boys during some very interesting times in their career, and seems to have been on very good terms with both the Mike/Al "faction" and the Carl/Dennis "faction," so I feel like he might have some interesting insights.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »

I'd like to know what he thinks about "Feel Flows", and what he thought about it the first time he heard it. Also, his reflections on "The Beaks of Eagles", preferably in comparison to "Feel Flows".

Could be interesting to hear a professional jazz musician's opinions on this, right?  Cool Guy

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »

My humble suggestions:

1. Were anybody of the BBs interested in free jazz and other then-recent developments in jazz? (Lloyd's works of the late sixties, for example)?
2. Any opinion on the (more classic) jazz influence on the BBs vocal voicings?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:58:26 AM »

Would love to know more about BBs' involvement on his album(s) thinking the song TM on 1972's Waves, primarily - as much as vice-versa. Anything else unreleased in the can from that era?  Any chance of that 1980s muddy CD remaster being improved upon?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:59:25 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »

Is it him playing the sax solo on "Come Go With Me"?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »

if he ever whips out the flute kicking solo from Airplane (live version)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 12:50:12 AM »

Anything he could tell us about Carl as a person in and out of the studio.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »

Have him tell you about the "Warm Waters" recording sessions. Being the only album of his that the Beach Boys performed on, I think it's a prudent question. Considering it's an unknown unknown album, he probably won't be expecting it
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »

"Warm Waters" ... being the only album of his that the Beach Boys performed on, I think it's a prudent question.

along with "Waves"? At least two BBs contributions on that album.

“We live in divisive times.”
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 04:33:21 AM »

* BUMP *

BJL, how did it go?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx