gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:44:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Beach Boys Moments Redux  (Read 63884 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »

I just now noticed that the poster above me has the username Funky Pretty.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »

I was in Saudi Arabia during ODS and my unit was doijg port security on the coast. Somebody was playing the Beach Boys - surreal.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »

Put your reading glasses on. Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »

eh...You are the mod and you can do what you like around here, but whats the difference between this thread and the 'random' thread you also started?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9802.0.html

(posted while hiding behind a table!)

Whoops! Forgot about that thread...my laptop is being used for mastering right now so I'm using my phone but will merge later...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2013, 11:15:07 PM »

Put your reading glasses on. Grin
Oh. Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »

eh...You are the mod and you can do what you like around here, but whats the difference between this thread and the 'random' thread you also started?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9802.0.html

(posted while hiding behind a table!)

Whoops! Forgot about that thread...my laptop is being used for mastering right now so I'm using my phone but will merge later...
I just re-read the comment I made at the start of the thread.  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

Hell, I read a further comment about dreams involving the beach boys and I actually had a dream about Brian last night.: lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:58:25 PM by zatch » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2013, 02:14:54 AM »

Sucessfully merged!

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »

Late night Tuesday after a show, Clarke's Diner.

"Well it's back to class, crack your books, quit givin' the teacher dirty looks."

I've heard some really surprising Beach Boys related songs in public over the years, but that takes the cake.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2013, 09:34:45 AM »

A little while back I was in a mom-n-pop record store, and they played the entire first side of Holland, Good Vibrations, and then a cover version of Good Vibrations. LOUD.

In one of my local supermarkets, I tend to hear a lot of BB. In the past year alone I've heard Sail On Sailor, Here Today, Surf's Up (BWPS), and some of the standard hits.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »

A little while back I was in a mom-n-pop record store, and they played the entire first side of Holland, Good Vibrations, and then a cover version of Good Vibrations. LOUD.

Did they see you spending too much time in their Beach Boys section? An owner at one of the locals around here puts on an Adult/Child boot every time I come in the store.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »

Did they see you spending too much time in their Beach Boys section? An owner at one of the locals around here puts on an Adult/Child boot every time I come in the store.

It must look like Godzilla, does everyone start running for the door when "Life Is For The Living" starts?  Grin
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:04:40 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

What about the a/c version of "hey little tomboy"? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »

In a state of reduced consciousness the other night, I found myself drinking tea with Brian Wilson while he was reciting his 'smog' rant....even to the point of saying "Eh, let's play that back..." - not even kidding.

I never really expected to run into Brian Wilson in my sleep  Grin

Anyone else have a dream where any of the Beach Boys were present?
Just the other day actually.  I had a dream that Brian was throwing a chain saw at me.  No sh*t.   LOL  It was like on a string or rubber band -- cuz he'd throw it at me and it would come back to him like a yo-yo, then he'd throw it back at me.  And he was laughing his crazy azz off.  I was freaking out obviously.  Yelling something like "you crazy mtha fkker!!!"

Yeah.  How fked up is that?  Either right before that or right after that, I can't remember -- I stole his "bag."   LOL
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:50:53 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »

The last time I was there, I was checking out and Lazy Lizzie came on. I could not believe he kept it on through that.

This is one of those places that caters to collectors, and I must be the only person that comes in regularly that collects Beach Boys stuff, because he's always super eager to talk to me.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »

Maybe it's because you're a woman in a record store!

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »

Maybe it's because you're a woman in a record store!

I suppose you might be on to something here...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »

Being at an American college football game and hearing the entire 20/20 version of Our Prayer played over the stadium's PA system in front of 100,000 people during a timeout. It happened to me on September 18th, 2010 in Knoxville, Tennessee home of the Tennessee Volunteer football team. I was a fan of the visiting team (Florida Gators!) and was absolutely astonished that they played the song. Honestly, it was one of the oddest places to hear it because it really had no relevance to the game or setting and it is usually not the type of song or music snippet they play during football games here.

I'm sure the look on my face was priceless. I thought to myself, "oh my God I know this song" after the first few notes and that turned into "this is absolutely unbelievable!" It sounded great, btw, but was absolutely random.
Why was it played?

There was a timeout during the game (stoppage in play) and they had gone to a TV commercial break so there was no play on the field. During that time either the college band plays or they play music over the stadium speakers and they happened to play Our Prayer over the speakers.
it's short enough for a timeout...so is And Your Dreams Come True.  Wink

Don't forget Ding Dang!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »

Kettleball? Friendly's?

I just don't get these american references........

USA! USA!

I had no idea Friendly's still existed. The Beach Boys version of Rock 'n' Roll Music is the perfect soundtrack, from my Friendly's experiences, actually.

speaking of that song, I'm looking forward to the release of the 'extra verse' version on MIC which will surely be the mix heard in that 1975/76 interview with additional overdubs and fart moog all over. Hope is strong for this song to be listenable again! (single version ain't too bad)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2013, 11:31:41 AM »

I was just playing with my brother's Xbox. "Kinetic Adventures" and in one of the featured games the background music was the instrumental track to "Our car club" aka "Rabbit's food"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »

I was in my car a few months ago absentmindedly switching from radio station to station and I stopped when I heard "Gee" on my High School radio station. It was the two-sided Heroes and Villains single, one of the last things I'd ever expected to hear on the radio, let alone my High School's station.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »

A few years ago I was in my car "radio surfing" and I came across Little Pad playing on one of our local college stations.  How eclectic is that?  Smokin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »

I'm just watching a german crime thriller and in quite a dark moment someone played a CD in a car and out comes "Wouldn't it be nice".
I pictured all this & it's indeed very random & qute amusing, considering WIBN is a very optimistic song.

Just the other day actually.  I had a dream that Brian was throwing a chain saw at me.  No sh*t.   LOL  It was like on a string or rubber band -- cuz he'd throw it at me and it would come back to him like a yo-yo, then he'd throw it back at me.  And he was laughing his crazy azz off.  I was freaking out obviously.  Yelling something like "you crazy mtha fkker!!!"
Mr. Bag, your dream is waaay cool! My own dreams are just banal monsters & dwarfs.

I was just playing with my brother's Xbox. "Kinetic Adventures" and in one of the featured games the background music was the instrumental track to "Our car club" aka "Rabbit's food"
Wow, this is terrific. It's my fave hot rod song by The Beach Boys. So another cool story.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »

I was in a small hill town in Sri Lanka last summer, when 'Rock and Roll Music' came out of a cafe window.  I wasn't sure if it was the Beach Boys' version (far away, lot of background noise) but it sounded like them.  We were staying in a small guesthouse which had some decent speakers and the owner told us we could be in charge of music for the evening.  So we gave Ding Dang and Vegetables as well as some other obscure tracks to the uber-cool travellers hanging out on the terrace.  I didn't hear what they were saying, but Ding Dang raised some surprised laughter.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx