gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:17:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Random Beach Boys Moments Redux  (Read 63891 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »

Beach Boys and the Wizard of Oz joke
If Dennis was the soul of the band, Carl was the heart, and Brian was the brain, does that make Al and Bruce munchkins?

Somebody had that as their signature on a message board. Ok, no big deal, right? Well, it was on a company message board at my job on our tech support forums (internal). For obvious reasons I can't link, but that just was completely unexpected and out of the blue that I had to share.

Besides the obvious (hearing it on the radio or in a movie/tv), what stories do you guys have of running into BB related things in places you'd never expect?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:39:06 AM »

Hearing and seeing Ryan Stiles playing Good Vibrations on the airport security monitor on an episode of The Drew Carey Show was pretty random.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:40:33 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:14:10 AM »

LOL

That was freakin' classic.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:41 AM »

In a state of reduced consciousness the other night, I found myself drinking tea with Brian Wilson while he was reciting his 'smog' rant....even to the point of saying "Eh, let's play that back..." - not even kidding.

I never really expected to run into Brian Wilson in my sleep  Grin

Anyone else have a dream where any of the Beach Boys were present?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »

I had a really weird one where it was me and the group, looking like circa 67, all trying to sing the Wind Chimes fade in a tiny room which had sunshine streaming through the windows in some kind of tropical cottage. Eventually we all got bored and went into the kitchen where Marilyn had made us dinner, and we were all somewhat sore about Brian being a jackass during the singing (we kept getting it wrong) so we didn't say much.

It was surprisingly banal aside from the fact i was hanging with the beach boys!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »

At the end of a Chumbawamba song ("She's Got All The Friends"), I was pleasantly surprised when I heard a sample of Murry Wilson saying "What's a matter? Got enough money buddy?" from the Rhonda sessions.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »

Elsewhere on this board I recounted my dream how I tried to get to Al's house at Big Sur but his big black horse bit me in the arm and dragged me away. Another BB dream I had from a couple of years back is this one:

I was at a small venue where Mike and Bruce used to play and I sat next to them as the show started. Bruce started singing an old doowop song called "Tell Me Why" (it exists in real life but I'm not sure that it's called "Tell Me Why"). In the beginning I was disappointed with the show since they mostly played oldies and celebrated the memories of Carl and Dennis in weird ways. But then it got better. I came across the written set list and found out that they were to play "Aren't You Glad" as the set's 34th song. I also think I saw "Dennis Wilson Toy Drive Announcement" on there.

In the intermission I hung out on stage and sat beside Mike. I was just about to ask Mike what the English word for 'sewing machine' was (I asked him in Swedish, I believe), when Carl, who was there by then, started singing a really lame version of "Time to Get Alone" that suddenly came to total life in the chorus when Taylor Mills among others joined in. There was also a basket of rare BB singles to look through and I picked up "Summer In Paradise" on Safari Records. Suddenly Al ran up on stage and introduced the next song. "It's him! It's Al", I shouted, whereupon he quickly left the stage again. I tried to follow him and saw him through a narrow opening in the door. He pulled me through the door to an underground corridor after I'd asked him what he was doing there since they were fighting. He showed me the way through a maze until we suddenly were in a cupboard that my parents have in their living room. In the cupboard, a big furnished room contained a big enlargement of the SIP LP cover. "There it is," Al said, "that's the reason why I want to get back together with the rest of the guys again." He didn't want SIP to be the last studio album they did. I told him that he didn't have to drag me all the way here to tell me that since I had SIP with me. I pulled out the single I'd picked up and two copies of the album.

We walked closer to the enlargement and suddenly we at a empty hayloft. It was dark and the building seemed about to collapse. Carl was there. He pointed to the SIP cover (which now wasn't the familiar one but a real picture from a BB show) and said that it looked weird, that it looked like someone had dropped a guitar in the picture. He pointed to middle of the picture, and yes, there was a guitar lying there, scattered (as much as a guitar can lie scattered). To the right, closest to the camera, Carl stood, and a bit further away was Mike. "I know, it's weird, we've discussed that on the Smiley board," I said. I tried to explain what an online message board was for Carl, since he had been dead since 1998, but I don't know if I did that good a job. We got back to the show room and the band had just finished "Aren't You Glad". I was bothered to have missed it, but felt that my chat with Carl and Al had weighed it up.

End of dream. That's what happens when you go to bed drunk, I guess.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:49:30 PM »

I once had a dream where I heard the entire SMiLE album in complete form as recorded by The Beach Boys in 1967. ChIld Is The Father of The Man had complete lyrics, and they were completely different than the GWPS album. The song was also quite different than the existing versions.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 12:34:12 AM »

ChIld Is The Father of The Man had complete lyrics, and they were completely different than the GWPS album.

Grover Washington Jr Presents Smile? LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »

Oops. lol That's what happens when you think about two different people at once. I had Gershwin on my mind for some reason.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:20:55 AM »

I was in Japan this past week for my brother's wedding and we were in a branch of Soup Stock Tokyo, Yokohama when The Like in I Love You appeared on the playlist which was very unexpected haha.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »

In Season 4 (I think) of Lost, playing the Good Vibrations melody on a keypad was the code to unlocking something or other on a submarine.

I didn't recognise it at all, but to make such a deal of it must've meant someone on the show was pretty big fan.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »

I once had a dream where I heard the entire SMiLE album in complete form as recorded by The Beach Boys in 1967. ChIld Is The Father of The Man had complete lyrics, and they were completely different than the GWPS album. The song was also quite different than the existing versions.
What were the lyrics in your dream?
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »

Sail on Sailor being played in my local Starbucks a few weeks back early in the morning, Put me in a good mood for the rest of the working day Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

my fav random moments in the past would be:

-Almost Famous' use of Feel Flows and the album cover of Pet Sounds among other great albums.

-In high school, during my first few years of my Brian Wilson craze, I had pasted a pic on my notebook of Brian (a very famous photo of Brian in the studio, I believe it's during Pet Sounds and he's wearing a red/striped shirt and in the booth at the studio) and then I typed out "I just wasn't made for these times" right under the picture... I had so many people ask, "what does that mean?" It felt good to be in the know-how of something in my opinion that was hip and something nobody my age had heard of.

-IDK if this counts for a moment, but while reading some heavy literature about the recording of POB/Bambu, I never realized that David Leaf sang backing vocals for He's a Bum[/i, what a story and one lucky bastard!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SG7
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »

One of the funniest dreams I had involved being second chair kazoo at the Fire sessions.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »

One of the funniest dreams I had involved being second chair kazoo at the Fire sessions.

Ok, I'm super jealous.

I just bought a book on lucid dreaming, and have been practicing it - so I'm hoping to catch a session one of these nights Wink

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

I was watching The new version of the Hawaii Five-O TV show and one of the cops says that his old buddy is a real Beach Boy. The other cops says, I know who Mike Love and Brian Wilson are but, your buddy?
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:13:12 PM »

i was sitting in a study area at university and a dude who also at the table, who is younger than me, probably 19, was like "i heard this weird beach boys song.  from that smile or something.  little pad.  it was really good."

he then proceeded to take adderall before his exam but, good music isn't lost to the youth quite yet. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:47:31 PM by Runaways » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »

I was shopping at urban oufitters and found 9 copies of the 2006 Pet Sounds Vinyl reissue for sale on the sales rack. It was kinda like Pet Sounds had just come out.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »

I was shopping at urban oufitters and found 9 copies of the 2006 Pet Sounds Vinyl reissue for sale on the sales rack. It was kinda like Pet Sounds had just come out.

Recently?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »

I'll take one of those!  I don't have that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »

Yeah i was at a urban outfitters in Charleston, South Carolina during my spring break last week and saw the albums in the vinyl section.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »

I was watching The new version of the Hawaii Five-O TV show and one of the cops says that his old buddy is a real Beach Boy. The other cops says, I know who Mike Love and Brian Wilson are but, your buddy?
I remember that...I kinda thought I posted that on here, but who can remember their posts after 2500?  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »

I also recently had a great dream about obsessing over the shortenin' bread riff...all I remember was telling one of my friends about how BW incorporates it in his music and I sung parts (kinda just parts from Metal Beach). and then I started playing it on piano (which I can't play) and synced recordings of Brian playing and us playing and singing it....great was that dream.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx