gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:25:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Of Montreal  (Read 4908 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 05:30:20 PM »

Considering I'm just going to harp on and on about how good they are, I may as well do it in their own thread. For those who aren't aware, Of Montreal is a current band that has been releasing albums for about a decade. The earliest are similar to low-budget, Ray Davies-style tracks. Then there's a brief period of full-blown productions in the psychedelic styles of the Beatles, some Beach Boys and certainly Os Mutantes discs. A fine album called Adhils Arboretum came in 2002, featuring singles-styled songs, again with a serious mid-60s fixation. And since then there have been two discs mixing all of the above with some light electronic influence and some 80s dance music (think Prince), called The Sunlandic Twins and A Satanic Panic in the Attic.

Seriously, even if you don't listen to modern music, seek out Of Montreals discs, at least from The Gay Parade through the present (Sunlandic Twins). They're--in my opinion--the best band making new music.*

*The Shins and Belle & Sebastian follow close behind, along with the dearly departed Delgados.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:31:01 PM »

Fun band. I have all their albums. My favourite song is "Kissing in the Grass". My favourite album is either Coquelicot or the Gay Parade.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 06:27:02 AM »

I love Of Montreal.  I got into them when their new album was "The Gay Parade."  I love it to this day.  I've seen them live 5-6 times..  driving many a mile and visiting cities I've never been to, because they didn't come to Michigan for the longest time.  Now they come all the time.  "Sunlandic" was pretty disappointing to me.  Very slight and lackluster..  "Satanic Panic" was great.  I hope they stop worrying about getting on the OC, and get back to what they do best. 
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 05:28:48 PM »

I remember the first time I heard their music - the song "Penelope", a great piece of ADD psych-pop!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:11:00 PM »

I love Of Montreal.  I got into them when their new album was "The Gay Parade."  I love it to this day.  I've seen them live 5-6 times..  driving many a mile and visiting cities I've never been to, because they didn't come to Michigan for the longest time.  Now they come all the time.  "Sunlandic" was pretty disappointing to me.  Very slight and lackluster..  "Satanic Panic" was great.  I hope they stop worrying about getting on the OC, and get back to what they do best. 

I liked Sunlandic quite a bit. It is a bit of a departure, but not really so far off from some elements of Satanic. As for the OC thing, well, it's nice to make a buck, you know? Everyone but Kevin has a real job when they're not touring, and he did until quite recently, too--I think around Adhils Arboretum. I saw them twice on the Satanic tour and once on Sunlandic, though, and with so many people turning out, I'd say things are looking up on that front.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 07:01:01 PM »

http://www.thebeewithwheels.com/

(Kevin's brother, David, does all the OM artwork.  The above is his official website.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 07:47:38 PM »

David also participated (along with Nina, now Kevin's wife) in a hilarious play/revue they did a few years back, the year before Satanic Panic. It was fantastic. David did all the hilarious costumes and scenery, while Kevin and Nina acted/sang/danced/acted stupid.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx