-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Exodus Part Two: Sandbox Poll
Poll
Question: Which statements concerning the Sandbox do you agree with?
The Sandbox should not exist. - 4 (6.7%)
Discussions about sexual, political or religious matters should not be allowed in the Sandbox. - 5 (8.3%)
People who otherwise contribute to the message board, but who have per the administrator have earned a ban of some length, should not be banned. - 7 (11.7%)
The Sandbox should not have its own theme. - 9 (15%)
Messages, no matter their content, should not be deleted from the Sandbox. - 16 (26.7%)
Threads, no matter their content, should not be deleted from the Sandbox. - 19 (31.7%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exodus Part Two: Sandbox Poll  (Read 56465 times)
GP1138
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2006, 05:41:53 AM »

It's amazing to me that you guys, being almost across the board older than the inhabitants of the car board I help moderate, manage to stir up exponentially more drama.

Just.. wow.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »

I was not involved in those events, and I don't have a clear understanding of what happened. But I'd like to make some general comments.

Sex, politics and religion should not be allowed on a music forum. I understand that there are have been intelligent and interesting discussions here, but the danger of misunderstanding and accidentally offending is just too big. I can tell you that there have been posts that I found very disturbing and even personally offensive, coming from posters who I deeply and honestly respect and whose knowledge and personality are admirable. In each of these cases I have looked away since I would't have anything constructive to say. But it made staying at this forum uncomfortable.

A forum needs moderators. Not one, but several. Not everyone has the gift of being a moderator. Think about the meaning of the word "to moderate". There are a few posters that I could imagine as great moderators, but it's not my call. The moderators are encouraged to censor offensive posts, and they can follow this with a personal message to the poster. This could clear any misunderstanding in the beginning. If a post of mine is deleted, I would feel frustrated, but if I got a message saying "sorry we had to delete your post because it could possibly offend", I would accept it.

Important: The actions of the moderators shoud never be discussed in public, only via personal message. This should be a forum rule.

The forum rules should be very specific and clear. There should be a standard procedure for breaking a forum rule: A warning, then a temporary ban, then a permanent ban that can be lifted if the banned agrees to comply with the rules. This sounds very strict and unfriendly, but it is the only way a forum can work in the long run.

A general chit-chat area is great and should be allowed, but the same forum rules should apply. Talk about love, relationships and drug experiences? Could be okay. But sex, politics and religion are just too sensitive.

These are just my thoughts, and I do not want to force anyone to agree with me.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2006, 06:18:51 AM »

um, Andreas, you are major moderator material!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2006, 06:19:45 AM »

These are just my thoughts, and I do not want to force anyone to agree with me.

That's kind of you!

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2006, 06:27:14 AM »

Perhaps those are good points-- who wants to moderate, and who do you think would be a good moderator.  Not just for here, but other parts of the board.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2006, 07:57:51 AM »

Andreas, I have only one comment on that -- consider the Dylan Christian thread.  If religion is off limits, there is no way to discuss Christian Dylan, because it is impossible to separate those elements there.  I hope I have been effective in keeping it academic (i.e. this is what the Christian view says, and this is what Dylan is saying, without making it "you should agree"), but I can't talk one without the other.  If we were to dig into certain bands, politics would come up too, as the lyrics demand such discussions.  It sounds nice to say "no politics or religion" but you have to admit their presence at minimum in certain contexts.  It would be better IMO if one could keep it to statement of facts with no attempt to say "this is right and you should believe it".  That is what I strive for (and hope I have achieved), at any rate.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2006, 08:06:21 AM »

Andreas, I have only one comment on that -- consider the Dylan Christian thread.  If religion is off limits, there is no way to discuss Christian Dylan, because it is impossible to separate those elements there.

I haven't read that thread, and I am sure that you did not write anything that I would consider inappropriate. Smiley

Of course, to discuss the religion within Dylan's music and lyrics is an interesting topic and is suitable on a music forum. But the line would be to discuss religious topics out of the musical context. For example, if you say that one needs to be a Christian to understand the depth of Dylan's music, that would cross the line. Or if you say that you don't like Dylan's religious albums because you disagree with the catholic church in certain points, that would also cross the line. I hope that makes sense.

A similar thing applies to sex and politics. If these topics are part of the music, discuss it. But don't make a general discussion of it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:09:01 AM by Andreas » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2006, 08:08:57 AM »

Yes, I think that we are saying in essence the same thing.
Maybelline
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2006, 08:13:04 AM »

Andreas, I have only one comment on that -- consider the Dylan Christian thread.  If religion is off limits, there is no way to discuss Christian Dylan, because it is impossible to separate those elements there.  I hope I have been effective in keeping it academic (i.e. this is what the Christian view says, and this is what Dylan is saying, without making it "you should agree"), but I can't talk one without the other.  If we were to dig into certain bands, politics would come up too, as the lyrics demand such discussions.  It sounds nice to say "no politics or religion" but you have to admit their presence at minimum in certain contexts.  It would be better IMO if one could keep it to statement of facts with no attempt to say "this is right and you should believe it".  That is what I strive for (and hope I have achieved), at any rate.

Brilliantly put. We're all music fans and that inevitably means that discussion of sex, religion and politics (all key themes in music) will arise at one time or another. And I agree, we should be able to share our views with tolerance for contrasting opinions. There is always risk that offensive comments will rear their ugly head(s) but isn't the risk worthwhile for some interesting and vibrant discussion?
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2006, 08:18:38 AM »

Andreas, I have only one comment on that -- consider the Dylan Christian thread.  If religion is off limits, there is no way to discuss Christian Dylan, because it is impossible to separate those elements there.

I haven't read that thread, and I am sure that you did not write anything that I would consider inappropriate. Smiley

Of course, to discuss the religion within Dylan's music and lyrics is an interesting topic and is suitable on a music forum. But the line would be to discuss religious topics out of the musical context. For example, if you say that one needs to be a Christian to understand the depth of Dylan's music, that would cross the line. Or if you say that you don't like Dylan's religious albums because you disagree with the catholic church in certain points, that would also cross the line. I hope that makes sense.

A similar thing applies to sex and politics. If these topics are part of the music, discuss it. But don't make a general discussion of it.

Well, I don't think there's anything specifically Catholic about Dylan's religious albums.  

BTW  I really don't understand this obsession with everything having to be just so - this crosses the line, that crosses the line.  What kind of basis for discussion is that?  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:21:31 AM by Sir Rob » Logged

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2006, 08:25:40 AM »

...we should be able to share our views with tolerance for contrasting opinions. There is always risk that offensive comments will rear their ugly head(s) but isn't the risk worthwhile for some interesting and vibrant discussion?

Therein lies the crux: This requires good faith on both sides.  Good faith on the part of the poster that s/he will not intentionally be offensive, and good will on the part of the reader that s/he will not automaticallyt assume offensive intentions.  It also requires the offended to say to the offender, "What you posted offended me, because...."  It then requires the offender to apologize.

In my book, it is absolutely worth the risk that someon might be offended to have the conversations.  There's no one on this planet who isn't going to be offended at something at some point in his life; it's simply not possible to avoid it.  To think otherwise, and to legislate a message board in that vein, is so restrictive that i don't believe it should even be considered.

But this is Charles' board.  He can do whatever he wants with it.  And as a fellow owner and administrator, i'll support him, because ultimately, that's what owners get to do.  Whatever they want.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2006, 08:46:08 AM »

It also requires the offended to say to the offender, "What you posted offended me, because...."  It then requires the offender to apologize.

Tried that.  And then when the offender tells you not to be so sensitive or to get a sense of humor, then what?

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
GP1138
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2006, 08:46:40 AM »

I agree with Susan. Just because you're offended by something doesn't make it immediately foul play. Some people are offended by the colours on this part of the forum, but does that mean they should be banned? No.

I like the whole "good faith" thing. There's a difference between simply talking about something and intentionally being offensive and crude, and honestly, there's nothing on this board that I've ever found crude, besides maybe the Prof when he was here.
GP1138
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2006, 08:47:58 AM »

It also requires the offended to say to the offender, "What you posted offended me, because...."  It then requires the offender to apologize.

Tried that.  And then when the offender tells you not to be so sensitive or to get a sense of humor, then what?

That's when a moderator steps in and says "this is not the way humans act". We have a courthouse on our board for people like that, where they get a few days that they can't post and think things over. Usually people come out with a lot more open minds and closed mouths, and if they don't we put them in longer.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2006, 08:48:53 AM »

Depending on what it is, the 'offender' could be right.

GP1138
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »

Depending on what it is, the 'offender' could be right.

Depending is a good word, but the courthouse idea I expressed above is for those who intentionally stir the pot.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »

That's when a moderator steps in and says "this is not the way humans act". We have a courthouse on our board for people like that, where they get a few days that they can't post and think things over. Usually people come out with a lot more open minds and closed mouths, and if they don't we put them in longer.

But you said in your previous post - just because you're offended by something doesn't make it immediately foul play.

GP1138
« Reply #142 on: February 28, 2006, 08:52:51 AM »

But you said in your previous post - just because you're offended by something doesn't mean it's foul play.

I just replied to your previous post. LOL:
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 28, 2006, 08:53:39 AM »

Forget I said anything.

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2006, 08:55:08 AM »

Forget I said anything.

Why?  What's up?  You're alright!   Smiley

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2006, 08:55:56 AM »

But you said in your previous post - just because you're offended by something doesn't mean it's foul play.

I just replied to your previous post. LOL:

I know - something funny happened there!   Huh  Smiley

GP1138
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2006, 08:58:49 AM »

Forget I said anything.

I wasn't intending to one-up or offend you, Laurie. I'm sorry if this is how it came across. I was just debating.  Embarrassed
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2006, 08:59:51 AM »

Ok its all cool.  I misunderstood.  I'm home sick today... very sick.. maybe its affecting my comprehension.

GP1138
« Reply #148 on: February 28, 2006, 09:00:22 AM »

Ok its all cool.  I misunderstood.  I'm home sick today... very sick.. maybe its affecting my comprehension.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Feel better!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2006, 09:02:01 AM »

Forget I said anything.

Just so I know what I'm apologising for, since we are discussing this here, how did I offend you again?

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: