gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:31:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who-sings-what vocal questions  (Read 3490 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »

duplicate post
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:08:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »

1. Mike.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »

Listening to SOT Vol. 7,  first and second vocal overdubs, and vocals only (also on the Hawthorne CD and on DVD).

It's either Brian and Mike in unison or Brian doubling his own vocal.  I'll put my money on Brian and Mike on the intro.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »

a little throaty so as to make one think of Dennis,,,,,,
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 03:06:16 AM »

respectfully suggest this is added to the definitive vox credits thread?

“We live in divisive times.”
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:32:34 AM »

I did an extensive treatment on the "Kiss Me, Baby" vocal arrangement for my "Beach Boys Today!" essay at www.beachboysarchives.com:

When recording the complex vocal arrangement a month later, the Boys required several “punchins”
to achieve the optimal balance when shifting gears from Intro to Verse to Chorus and back
again: in the Intro, Mike and Brian sing the descending “Ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh” part in unison the first
two times, then Brian splits into his high falsetto while Mike continues his original line (this time as
“whooh” instead of “ahh”), supported now by the other three in the background, ending this third
rep on a higher note. There is then an audible “punch” (detectible on the original session tape,
but effectively covered up by echo on the Hawthorne, California a cappella mix). In the verses,
Mike and Brian are again singing unison on the first two lines, then there is another punch (this
time most noticeable on the “Hawthorne” mix), and they trade lines as Brian’s falsetto soars on
“Can’t remember…” with Carl, Alan and Dennis singing “ahh-ooh” in the background, then it’s
Mike’s turn at the lead on “Late, late last night…” with “oohs” by Carl, Alan and Dennis, then Brian
returning on falsetto with “But I remember…”, again supported in the background by the other
three, and finally Mike wrapping things up with “We both had a broken heart” as Carl and Al join
him on three-part harmony (these lyrics are, of course, from the first verse…different lyrics are
sung in the second verse, but the arrangement is the same). The level of Mike’s voice changes
radically from the last word of the verse to the first word of the chorus, indicating another punch-in.
Mike does a great job singing the bass notes on “Woah, baby” (he’s joined by Carl in a higher
range on the second, fourth, fifth, and seventh times), while Brian pours out the title line “Kiss me,
baby” in falsetto (joined in a lower harmony by Dennis), and Carl and Alan sing “Kiss a little bit,
fight a little bit” just loud enough to hear it, in a lower register in the background.. Finally, after the
“love to hold you” line is sung by Brian and Dennis, another punch was likely needed to get Brian
back to the part he sings in unison with Mike at the start of the next verse. Yet another punch is
definitely audible at approximately 1:36, as Brian launches into “Told my folks that…”. The same
punch pattern is then repeated over the next verse-to-chorus transition. It’s worth noting that the
tail-end of an earlier take survives on the un-faded original tape, and we can hear Dennis singing
an alternate chorus lyric (which sounds like “please bless my heart” where “to hold you tight”
would normally be); Brian can also be heard proclaiming “That was sloppy…you guys!” just before
the tape cuts off. The exact same process for recording the vocals was repeated as a doubletrack
on the one open track of the second stage tape, with the exception that the opening “Ahh” by
Mike and Brian was not doubled (Andrew Sandoval’s stereo mix used on the first edition of the
Endless Harmony Soundtrack has this opening “Ahh” mostly panned to one side; Mark Linett’s
remix on the second and third editions, as well as his a cappella mix on Hawthorne, California,
moves this part across the stereo spectrum, so the fact that it is in “mono” becomes less
noticeable).
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »

I did an extensive treatment on the "Kiss Me, Baby" vocal arrangement for my "Beach Boys Today!" essay at www.beachboysarchives.com:

I do love this song, but I could probably listen a thousand more times, and never pick out all of the detail you have! 
Thanxx for an interesting read. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

Listening to SOT Vol. 7,  first and second vocal overdubs, and vocals only (also on the Hawthorne CD and on DVD).

It's either Brian and Mike in unison or Brian doubling his own vocal.  I'll put my money on Brian and Mike on the intro.

You can definitely hear Mike, especially on the 5th note. His distinct nasal sound is heard there. It is very hard to tell if it is him double tracked or Brian harmonizing in unison because there is definitely a second voice going. I could see Brian being the second voice. Mike doesn't blend quite as well as Brian does, so I can see how it could be both.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »

You can definitely hear Mike, especially on the 5th note. His distinct nasal sound is heard there. It is very hard to tell if it is him double tracked or Brian harmonizing in unison because there is definitely a second voice going. I could see Brian being the second voice. Mike doesn't blend quite as well as Brian does, so I can see how it could be both.

Um, like I said above...it's Brian & Mike singing in unison.  Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 11:44:55 PM »

And like I said above C-man, it's Brian & Mike singing in unison.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »

And I like I've always thought but never posted because I just found this thread, it's Brian & Mike singing in unison. :D

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »

Um, like I said above...it's Brian & Mike singing in unison.  Smiley

LOL...I saw that you said it, but someone barely beat you. Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »

A few things I've wondered for awhile:

1. Is that Dennis singing the opening wordless line of "Kiss Me Baby"?  The pretty "ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhh..." line? I keep thinking it's Dennis, but then I feel like it's Brian or Mike sometimes.  Anyone know?

2. Who is doing the laughing in "Punchline"? Is it the Boys themselves? The very 1st laugh you hear at 0:18 sounds so awful and forced, I can understand why this never was released on an actual album. Strangely, I think I recognize that exact laugh from an outtake/session of some sort from the Smile era, but I can't seem to recall exactly where from.

And like I said above C-man, it's Brian & Mike singing in unison.  Grin

Yeah, but Mikie, do you mean on KMB or Punchline?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 02:46:10 PM »

What do you think I mean, Bgas?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »

What do you think I mean, Bgas?

If I could read your mind, Mikie
What a tale your thoughts would tell 
Just like the film at eleven
Or the things that you think you smell   LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 04:01:45 AM »

OK guys, I thought we'd left this crap back on SDV2. Please.

Mikie, count to three, OK, four, take a deep breath and walk on. I speak as an expert in the short fuse department.

Bgas, told you this in private, so maybe now it has to be in public - this obsession of yours with acting the mentally handicapped person isn't funny, never was. It pisses people off and you makes look like a dick.

There aren't enough hard-core, serious BB/BW MBs that this one can take a few hits.  Actually, this is pretty much it, come to think of it.  In maybe two, three years, it won't matter 'cause no-one will be interested any more, but 2011 isn't the best possible year to act like grade schoolers or rejects from the casting call for Beavis & Butthead.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »

Mikie, count to three, OK, four, take a deep breath and walk on. I speak as an expert in the short fuse department.

Bgas, told you this in private, so maybe now it has to be in public - this obsession of yours with acting the mentally handicapped person isn't funny, never was. It pisses people off and you makes look like a dick.

There aren't enough hard-core, serious BB/BW MBs that this one can take a few hits.  Actually, this is pretty much it, come to think of it.  In maybe two, three years, it won't matter 'cause no-one will be interested any more, but 2011 isn't the best possible year to act like grade schoolers or rejects from the casting call for Beavis & Butthead.

Yeah, right, sure, whatever, point taken, maybe yes, maybe no, but you know what, what you see is what you get. The good comes with the bad, I post what I post, and I got no problems with Mikie, but we do cut sometimes. 2011 is just like any other year here. There's lots of god posts and there's lots of mindless rot. It comes from lots of places, yours included. Get over it and move on. Let it go and get on with posting some important information, eh. Yes, yes, I know, THE BEACH BOYS/BRI/CAPITOL/EMI are watching this board and if they don't like what they read, they're not going to release the things we want. 
 PLEASE. 
That's so much twaddle. When it comes down to it they don't give a rat's ass.  I want the same things released as everone, but they don't care whether I post like a mentally handicapped person, as long as I buy what they release.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »

There aren't enough hard-core, serious BB/BW MBs that this one can take a few hits.  Actually, this is pretty much it, come to think of it.  In maybe two, three years, it won't matter 'cause no-one will be interested any more, but 2011 isn't the best possible year to act like grade schoolers or rejects from the casting call for Beavis & Butthead.

Yeah, right, sure, whatever, point taken, maybe yes, maybe no, but you know what, what you see is what you get. The good comes with the bad, I post what I post, and I got no problems with Mikie, but we do cut sometimes. 2011 is just like any other year here. There's lots of god posts and there's lots of mindless rot. It comes from lots of places, yours included. Get over it and move on. Let it go and get on with posting some important information, eh. Yes, yes, I know, THE BEACH BOYS/BRI/CAPITOL/EMI are watching this board and if they don't like what they read, they're not going to release the things we want.  
 PLEASE.  
That's so much twaddle. When it comes down to it they don't give a rat's ass.  I want the same things released as everone, but they don't care whether I post like a mentally handicapped person, as long as I buy what they release.

1 - You're better than that and you know it. It's like white kids trying to be black.

2 - I want to read posts that look like the author is incarcerated in the Ronald McDonald Institute for Mental Readjustment, there are other boards I can go read.  There used to be an ignore option and hell, I wish it was still here.

3 - BRI don't care about how stuff is posted (they know most BB fans are pretty dumb anyway - it comes with the territory, mine included - and that the hardcore will buy pretty much anything), just what is posted. Important difference.

'Kay, I'm done on this.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »

I guess I don't understand why, if something bothers somebody this much, then just don't read the thread.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 06:41:04 PM »

Huh?? What did I do? I didn't do anything wrong. Seems to me Mr. Doe is exaggerating a little bit here. I ain't mad at anybody. I'm as much of a hard-core fan as most here, but that doesn't mean I have to be serious as a heart attack like some people are, correct? We're just talking about The Beach Boys here, right? By the way, is it OK if I question some of the know-it-all people with egos here about their motives?

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »

A few things I've wondered for awhile:

1. Is that Dennis singing the opening wordless line of "Kiss Me Baby"?  The pretty "ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhh..." line? I keep thinking it's Dennis, but then I feel like it's Brian or Mike sometimes.  Anyone know?

2. Who is doing the laughing in "Punchline"? Is it the Boys themselves? The very 1st laugh you hear at 0:18 sounds so awful and forced, I can understand why this never was released on an actual album. Strangely, I think I recognize that exact laugh from an outtake/session of some sort from the Smile era, but I can't seem to recall exactly where from.

2. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's Brian doing the laughs in Punchline. Glad to be proved wrong, though!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx