gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:45:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys An American Family - 8PM EST Tonight  (Read 6567 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »

This is on WGN tonight at 8 EST for those in the US.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:05:14 PM »

just found it by surfing....... LOL

you beat me to the post!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »

...........watching it now..........again, and it's very unfortunate that there's so many factual errors. Right off the bat, Hite Morgan crosses out "Pendletones" on the tape box and writes "Beach Boys"? He didn't even name them The Beach Boys! C'mon. Stuff out of sequence. Brian wasn't a minor when he and Murry started Sea Of Tunes! I mean, in this "movie made for TV", Carl didn't even throw up after hearing Surfin' on the radio!

As far as look-alikes, at certain angles they kinda do look like them though.  Where's the facts??
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:07:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »

As far as look-alikes, at certain angles they kinda do look like them though. Where's Dave?  Where's the facts??

Dave IS in the film right? And from memory he has much more of a role than either Al or Bruce.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »

Yeah, Dave is in it. I edited my previous post.  All of the names are mentioned at one point or another....

Sounds like a latter day 90's Brian's voice singing these songs at times - such as when he's writing/singing "I get Around" on the piano. '65 Rhonda sessions dialog going on where Brian and Murry get into it and Murry is fired. They're singing the "Been Way Too Long" harmonies at this session? Nah.

Maybe I'm a tough crowd.....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:40:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »

Sounds like a latter day 90's Brian's voice singing these songs at times - such as when he's writing/singing "I get Around" on the piano. '65 Rhonda sessions dialog going on where Brian and Murry get into it and Murry is fired. They're singing the "Been Way Too Long" harmonies at this session? Nah.

Maybe I'm a tough crowd.....

That is a 90s latter day Brian singing some of those songs in Part 1.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »

why is van dyke called "sammy" and what were those lyrics they sung during the smile session?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:13:04 PM »

why is van dyke called "sammy" and what were those lyrics they sung during the smile session?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Van Dyke threatened to sue after he saw the portrayal of him in the movie, so they changed his name.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

Are the lyrics at the begining for Two Step, Side Step the real lyrics?  Is a recording of that available anywhere?  I thought I had heard that it was performed on Lawrence Welk, but I have never seen or heard it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »

Geez, I hated seeing that SMiLE album cover being thrown into the fire! 

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »

As novel as watching a movie about the beach boys is, this isn't very good.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »

Van Dyke Parks threatened to sue unless they changed it. I actually have the original version on my hard drive somewhere and they do call in Van Dyke Parks.

The Smile thing was something they invented because they couldn't get the rights to any original tapes. I've heard there's a full version of that song somewhere, but I could never find it.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »

I got this for my birthday from http://www.thevideobeat.com/ ... I know it is full of it, but at the same time, back in 2006, listening to the Let the Wind Blow sequence got me back into this group and I have been OBSESSED ever since... (in a good way)..
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 07:33:19 PM »

Like the scene where Dennis throws his fist through a window (about 2 years before it actually happened) over an argument with the Beach Boys about Manson. 

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »

Even if its factual accuracy is a for merda, I still think it's a well-put-together movie. Plus, it offers a glimpse into the kind of dysfunction and complexity that the real story of The Beach Boys had, the kind that most people don't know about.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »

Brian's back on stage for the first time in years...........Anaheim Stadium - 1974??  Did Keith Badman help with the dates here?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 08:11:52 PM »

Brian's back on stage for the first time in years...........Anaheim Stadium - 1974??  Did Keith Badman help with the dates here?

Ha!  That was not Funny! 
First time I've ever watched even a little bit of that.
Glad I didn't bother with the whole thing, and I've kept myself almost "pure". Reminds me again why I never bothered...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »

I'm serial, Bgas! The text across the screen said 1974 and 'Mike' is seen coaxing (almost dragging) Brian on stage to play the piano. Home made sign in the crowd said "Welcome Back Brian". Gee, I wonder where the producers came up with that scene! American Band video, wadinit?

CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »

OMG when I read this I was so upset I missed it, but I checked and it's on again Sunday at 2pm!! (in hindsight I guess its a good thing  cause I'd a been in jam as to what to watch The BBs or the winter classic, as it turns out I'd have been much happier with the BBs movie Cry ). I think this is the first time since it premiered that it's been on tv (other than VH1 Classic which unfortunately I don't get). I remember being so excited for that movie, and it being a big deal (if I only knew then what I know now LOL ). My dad taped it but for some reason the tape doesn't start til they're singing in the garage. It will be nice to finally see the very beginning again. I know it's difficult to watch with all the "dramatization", but its still nice that some big wigs thought enough of them to ok 2 movies at least loosely based on them. Thanks for the heads up!!!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 09:57:15 PM »

At first I was thinking it was the 1985 doc and went to DVR it,  but decided not to when I saw Nick Stabile listed in the description. Seeing it once on Youtube was enough torture for me.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 01:31:38 AM »

Are the lyrics at the begining for Two Step, Side Step the real lyrics?  Is a recording of that available anywhere?  I thought I had heard that it was performed on Lawrence Welk, but I have never seen or heard it.

Real lyrics, real melody - that's a late 50 recording by Bonnie Lou, available on her GH CD.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 05:21:33 AM »

Real lyrics, real melody - that's a late 50 recording by Bonnie Lou, available on her GH CD.
Snippet available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Step-Side/dp/B001WT51HU

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »

Thanks a bunch!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »

Nice to hear sombody doing it. 
It was also recorded by Johnny Hall and his Texas Rangers on Hollywood 416  b/w "Painting With Teardrops" another Murry song. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »

I'm serial, Bgas! The text across the screen said 1974 and 'Mike' is seen coaxing (almost dragging) Brian on stage to play the piano. Home made sign in the crowd said "Welcome Back Brian". Gee, I wonder where the producers came up with that scene! American Band video, wadinit?

Don't forget them talking about how Brian's album "Imagine" had just come out to critical acclaim  LOL

I can just see Brian's head in the clouds
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx