gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:22:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased Track Information Station  (Read 49426 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »

Whew, fixed all that stuff. Had no idea some of those circulated.

phew, I think someone needs a lil transcendental meditation   

Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »

I had heard from someone (probably Earle or Alan Boyd) that "Dr. Tom" was a rewrite a la "Cottonfields" of the Kingston Trio's "Tom Dooley".  Apparently not as good, though.

There's a whole bunch more unreleased tracks from '78-'81, I think we talked about several of them in other threads.  Key tracks from the KTSA-LA sessions would be "Calendar Girl," "California Feelin'", "I Will Always Love You," "Surfer Suzie", "Smokey Places", "Goin' To The Beach"...what else am I forgetting?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »

I had heard from someone (probably Earle or Alan Boyd) that "Dr. Tom" was a rewrite a la "Cottonfields" of the Kingston Trio's "Tom Dooley".  Apparently not as good, though.

There's a whole bunch more unreleased tracks from '78-'81, I think we talked about several of them in other threads.  Key tracks from the KTSA-LA sessions would be "Calendar Girl," "California Feelin'", "I Will Always Love You," "Surfer Suzie", "Smokey Places", "Goin' To The Beach"...what else am I forgetting?

I'm A Man
River Deep, Mountain High
Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »

Right... I was just thinking those were from '81.  I probably should have just thrown those in, with the list.  Well put "Bucks" and "Sweetie" in there too.  Then you've got "At The Hop" (shudder) and "Oh Lord" from Beach Boys '85.  What else?  There's the hamburger sessions.  "Stevie" has to be included at the very least.

Of course [slaps forehead] this is all on AGD's site.  Don't hit me AGD!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:55:35 PM by adamghost » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »

Has anyone heard "Oh Lord" from '85, and if so is it any good?

Not sure how well that song would work with all the 80s synth sounds.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 01:36:08 PM »

Currently I'm up to my ass in late 18th century cricket scorecards (don't ask...)

Sorry to ask, but I am curious. You don't have to answer if you don't want to (or can't for whatever reason) but what is this for? I'm just a huge cricket fan that is all.

No big deal - possibly the most famous son of my hometown* is the one hardly anyone knows about now, William "Silver Billy" Beldham (1766-1862) who played first class cricket from 1787-1821 and was generally considered the best batsman of his era. He's my profile pic, taken when he was about 92. ...

Wait a minute, AGD ... after all these years ... are you trying to say that guy with the tall top hat isn't really you? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Nah - I won't be 92 for, oh, a few years yet.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »

Has anyone heard "Oh Lord" from '85, and if so is it any good?

Not sure how well that song would work with all the 80s synth sounds.

I sure haven't, and yeah, I've always wondered what the heck that would sound like.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »

The "dirty" version of Ding Dang is also titled "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and was recorded a year after DD.

Rollin' Up To Heaven was recorded after Ding Dang? With all the synths it sounds like DD was recorded much later than Rollin'...
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 07:28:33 PM »

A little surprised that released songs were included on a list of "Unreleased" tracks at the top of the thread.  Not sure why.  And while they still remain released, many of those tracks have circulated on boots for many years. Thanks to AGD for including the sources. Maybe the author of the thread could re-compile/update the list complete with sources(?)

Geez, "Sea Cruise" is now unavailable on a formally released CD. It was out for awhile, then discontinued. If it weren't released, albeit briefly, it would be a good addition to the boot list above! Too bad "On Broadway" wasn't recorded and released earlier on 15 Big Ones. And "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" too somewhere.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »

I would put On Broadway on AGD's list of songs that should be buried, not released.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »

The "dirty" version of Ding Dang is also titled "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and was recorded a year after DD.

Rollin' Up To Heaven was recorded after Ding Dang? With all the synths it sounds like DD was recorded much later than Rollin'...

It does, which is why I was shocked to learn that it dates from 1973, and RUTH dates from summer 1974. Then again, DD has a similar production to the Spring version of Shortenin' Bread, which was not only recorded the same time, but also erroneously appear on boots of 1976 material!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 06:29:02 AM »

I would put On Broadway on AGD's list of songs that should be buried, not released.  Grin

I agree, I think it is a painful listening experience.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 08:15:49 AM »

It does, which is why I was shocked to learn that it dates from 1973, and RUTH dates from summer 1974. Then again, DD has a similar production to the Spring version of Shortenin' Bread, which was not only recorded the same time, but also erroneously appear on boots of 1976 material!

The Spring version of Shortenin' Bread has been on boots? I never knew.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »

Yeah... but the 'leggers didn't know what it was, plus it had Carl's lead added - it's usually listed as an LA outtake, but you can clearly hear the girls on bvs, and Brian doing the bass vocal.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »

Jay and Parks Asher are now on my list......

Did you guys mention th 1970 version of "Back Home"? And the alternate "Add Some Music To Your Day"? And "Teardrops On My Bed"?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »

Jay and Parks Asher are now on my list......

Did you guys mention th 1970 version of "Back Home"? And the alternate "Add Some Music To Your Day"? And "Teardrops On My Bed"?

What list is that?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »

My "S" list 'cause you don't agree with me. You guys got no taste.

Actually, I just listened to it again for the first time in years and it does drone on a little bit. But I'd still swap it out with a couple of those 15 Big Ones songs......

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »

Teardrops on my bed is Brian's cover of the song Drip Drop!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »

Yeah... but the 'leggers didn't know what it was, plus it had Carl's lead added - it's usually listed as an LA outtake, but you can clearly hear the girls on bvs, and Brian doing the bass vocal.

Isn't that Brian bass vocal of the same vintage as the Carl lead? The Adult Child sessions right? Or am I wrong about both?

Because that Brian vocal sure doesn't sound like 1973 to me, sounds more like 1976 or 1977.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »

Teardrops on my bed is Brian's cover of the song Drip Drop!

That's right, Yorick!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 11:22:58 AM »

Isn't that Brian bass vocal of the same vintage as the Carl lead? The Adult Child sessions right? Or am I wrong about both?

Because that Brian vocal sure doesn't sound like 1973 to me, sounds more like 1976 or 1977.

He sounded like that on "He Came Down", which was recorded a year & a half earlier.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »

While Wild Honey was the last album to mixed entirely to stereo, singles continued to be mixed to mono - you mention Friends, but also Little Bird.  Was the Bluebirds/Never Learn Not to Love single issued in mono?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:03 PM »

While Wild Honey was the last album to mixed entirely to stereo, singles continued to be mixed to mono - you mention Friends, but also Little Bird.  Was the Bluebirds/Never Learn Not to Love single issued in mono?

You have a true stereo Wild Honey ? My friend, your financial worries are over.  Grin

As for what's mono, what's stereo, and where, may I suggest this site - mono/stereo - which, if I do say so myself, is the proverbial canine's gentalia.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2010, 12:22:28 PM »

Lazaloo

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »

Lazaloo

No evidence it was ever recorded. Brian mentioned they might, as a tribute to Murry, but...

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx