gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:13:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was the last time Bruce Johnston played bass?  (Read 14331 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 03:43:05 AM »

Totally agree. Terrible lip sync performance at the worst possible time in extremely poor taste to Carl Wilson.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »

I'm guessing the poor lip synching (Glen isn't even close) resulted in fewer close ups & more shots of the cheerleaders.
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »

So somewhere there is a recording of Glen, Dean and Mike singing BB songs?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »

I remember back in 1998 when that Super Bowl thing aired thinking that it was embarrassing and depressing. And that was without having any context, not knowing that Al was on his way to being squeezed out and Carl was close to passing.

It's like, in 1998 how do you make the Beach Boys (yes, true, they didn't literally use the BB name, only because they legally couldn't) look and sound even worse and even older? Play to awful canned tracks, and add Glen Campbell and Dean Torrence to add to the proceedings of faking burping their way through oldies.

No disrespect to Glen Campbell, he maintained a good singing voice even years later (sounds great on Al's re-re-make of "California Dreamin'").

But this 1998 Super Bowl thing is one of the main candidates for the nadir of the saga, right up there and in some ways more embarrassing than even the Queen Mary '81 gig. At least they played live at that one and FIVE Beach Boys rolled their carcasses out of bed and showed up for that one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2020, 12:07:18 PM »

I remember back in 1998 when that Super Bowl thing aired thinking that it was embarrassing and depressing. And that was without having any context, not knowing that Al was on his way to being squeezed out and Carl was close to passing.

It's like, in 1998 how do you make the Beach Boys (yes, true, they didn't literally use the BB name, only because they legally couldn't) look and sound even worse and even older? Play to awful canned tracks, and add Glen Campbell and Dean Torrence to add to the proceedings of faking burping their way through oldies.

No disrespect to Glen Campbell, he maintained a good singing voice even years later (sounds great on Al's re-re-make of "California Dreamin'").

But this 1998 Super Bowl thing is one of the main candidates for the nadir of the saga, right up there and in some ways more embarrassing than even the Queen Mary '81 gig. At least they played live at that one and FIVE Beach Boys rolled their carcasses out of bed and showed up for that one.

The one thing that pops into my mind as rubbing me the wrong way about this performance, is that it feels Carl and Al's absence caused Mike to immediately push things back into the way that Mike wanted things to be (the cheerleaders). I admit maybe this is me reading too much into stuff. Maybe it wasn't opportunism, and maybe it was just coincidental timing, but I can't exactly feel good about it.

Am I misremembering, or didn't both Carl and Al not want the cheerleaders to be part of the band's live set? Obviously the cheerleaders nevertheless *were* a part of the band's live set for years during Carl and Al's tenure in the band, but then for a couple years the cheerleaders were retired. Is it or is it not a coincidence that the moment both of these guys were together out of the band, Mike brought the cheerleaders back with a vengeance? Yes, I know this was the Super Bowl show, so if there was ever gonna be a cheerleader-centric show, this was gonna be it.  

I also certainly can't say if the band's Super Bowl show would have been markedly different if Carl and Al were still present (other than the "Beach Boys" billing being intact, and no Glen or David present). Maybe there'd have been the same cheerleaders anyway for this one big show, what does everyone think? I dunno. I guess I can't help shake that icky feeling considering Carl's condition at the time. It's not just that the band kept playing shows, but they played shows of this level of tackiness, the complete pendulum swing away from Carl's (and Al's) preferred vision of the band... it's just kinda cringey no matter how hard I might want to brush it off as not being so.

I guess if ever there was an "exhibit A" in terms of showing the dichotomy of the various band factions' preferred vision of the band, this show - especially considering the scale and the timing - would show one side's preference in an unusually extreme fashion.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:13:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »

I'm no American or American football fan but aren't cheerleaders a pretty prominent part of it? Seems to me that they'd have been there anyway since it was the superbowl.

Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 03:29:43 PM »

Seeing that Superbowl mess, I was wondering...
What other bands in the history of rock'n roll have gone from the sublime to the sad / ridiculous / tacky / awkward spectrum?

That's something that always amazes me with The Beach Boys : When you see videos like that or the "Summer of Love" video, it must be almost impossible to tell someone who've never heard of them that they're the same band from the 60s and 7Os.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2020, 11:43:04 PM »

I'm no American or American football fan but aren't cheerleaders a pretty prominent part of it? Seems to me that they'd have been there anyway since it was the superbowl.
Yes. It's not really fair to look at this as being a representation of what Mike wanted the live Beach Boys to be. it was a one time thing for the Super Bowl. I never had a problem with the cheerleaders, but it was nicer when it was just local high school cheerleaders.
But I still think this Super Bowl gig was a bad idea.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:44 AM »

Seeing that Superbowl mess, I was wondering...
What other bands in the history of rock'n roll have gone from the sublime to the sad / ridiculous / tacky / awkward spectrum?

That's something that always amazes me with The Beach Boys : When you see videos like that or the "Summer of Love" video, it must be almost impossible to tell someone who've never heard of them that they're the same band from the 60s and 7Os.

Because, and Mike knows this, in the public eye the entire band's output is closer to Summer of Love than anything else. That's what pays the mortgage.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2020, 06:48:25 AM »

True.
And, please, don't send me death threats for saying this, but I find the Mike / Bruce shows from today way better than the Beach Boys shows from the mid-90s.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:33:09 AM by Toursiveu » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »

True.
And, please, don't send me death threats for saying this, but I find the Mike / Bruce shows from today way better than the Beach Boys shows from the mid-90s.

No doubt about that. As someone that was not in the fandom then, I find it hard to imagine myself actually going to those shows year after year had I been. It's just so damn cringey. They did a lot of cool double-billed tours that would've been great...Chicago, Three Dog Night, America, The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis etc.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2020, 04:33:49 PM »

Nothing "cringey" about seeing/hearing Carl, Al and Matt harmonize together.  I'd give anything to see that again.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »

Nothing "cringey" about seeing/hearing Carl, Al and Matt harmonize together.  I'd give anything to see that again.
I agree, although the SIP era was a real test of my fandom. I felt like the Beach Boys had become Mike Love's group, for better or worse - mostly worse.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »

When I see Carl post-Summer in Paradise until his death, all I can think is : "Poor Carl, you deserved better!"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2020, 06:35:47 PM »

When I see Carl post-Summer in Paradise until his death, all I can think is : "Poor Carl, you deserved better!"
Yes he did.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx