gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:07:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When was the last time Bruce Johnston played bass?  (Read 14328 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »

Silly question..Every show ive ever seen..Bruce always picks up the bass at some point
...and then you go on to mention that you haven't seen Bruce play bass since before Carl's death.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:48 AM »

I heard he filled in for Geddy Lee a couple of dates the last time Rush toured....

Wow! This has me laughing still!  LOL
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 02:29:33 PM »

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B6yyTTmh8pc/

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 03:15:08 PM »

He was holding one at least in 2005. https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/1211324425662091264

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »

Ya can't clap, adjust the mike stand and play bass at the same time so the bass went bye bye.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2020, 08:52:50 PM »

I think it’s a shame as he was actually a pretty good bassist back in the day.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 01:28:47 AM »

One of the things that's kinda interesting about the Beach Boys is how often instruments are swapped - including vocals, that have alternated around Brian, Bruce, Carl, Al, Mike and the session guys over the years. Bass has gone between Brian, Carl, Al and Bruce. Mike used to play the theremin synth thing on Good Vibes...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 11:29:15 AM »

Lip synching to a track recorded in 1989 from the Endless Summer tv series

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »

I found tis on the web. It says it is from the Super Bowl 1998.

The infamous day Brian, Carl (near death) and Al watched on tv as the "Beach Boys", to their surprise, performed at the Super Bowl.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:32:48 AM by southbay » Logged

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »

I agree that Bruce was a much better bassist, than even he gives himself credit for. California Girls, I Get Around and Help Me Rhonda aren't exactly easy basslines to master! Wish he'd still pick up the bass in the encore, like he did throughout the 80's. Even if it was just Barbara Ann or Help Me Rhonda, like he used to.
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2020, 07:32:41 PM »

The infamous day Brian, Carl (near death) and Al watched on tv as the "Beach Boys", to their surprise, performed at the Super Bowl.

I don't know if it's wildly available but I recently found the Super Bowl clip on youtube.. I"d never seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELjvd6Nl870

What a mess
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »

I don't know if it's wildly available but I recently found the Super Bowl clip on youtube.. I"d never seen it:

What a mess

Incredibly surreal to see Phil Hartman introducing them. It makes it feel like this is some bizarro episode of The Simpsons where Troy McClure is introducing some strange alternate reality version of the band. And Mike's voice sounds too good here and I'm sure it must be lip-synching to studio vocals, no way those are actual live vocals.

What a weird time for the band. Phil Hartman gave them a spoken introduction and had to bend over backwards into a pretzel to describe the band that was about to play. It felt like that description had to be signed off by a bunch of power lawyers, and that's probably not far from the truth. It's also interesting how this band is billed as "a tribute to the beach boys" (for the only time ever?) in contrast to the current band which is actually billed as "the Beach Boys".

That said, considering the studio vocals, they sounded better than I was expecting. But the whole thing is just very weird and awkward. And why wasn't Al here? That was because Mike didn't like his attitude, correct? Poor Al.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:09:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »

I can only imagine what Carl thought. Sad

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 04:25:53 AM »

What a mess

Incredibly surreal to see Phil Hartman introducing them. It makes it feel like this is some bizarro episode of The Simpsons where Troy McClure is introducing some strange alternate reality version of the band. And Mike's voice sounds too good here and I'm sure it must be lip-synching to studio vocals, no way those are actual live vocals.

What a weird time for the band. Phil Hartman gave them a spoken introduction and had to bend over backwards into a pretzel to describe the band that was about to play. It felt like that description had to be signed off by a bunch of power lawyers, and that's probably not far from the truth. It's also interesting how this band is billed as "a tribute to the beach boys" (for the only time ever?) in contrast to the current band which is actually billed as "the Beach Boys".

That said, considering the studio vocals, they sounded better than I was expecting. But the whole thing is just very weird and awkward. And why wasn't Al here? That was because Mike didn't like his attitude, correct? Poor Al.

What time in the clip? I can't find any beach boys on the linked video
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 04:39:58 AM »

Actually, they weren't billed as "The Beach Boys", but rather as "A Tribute To The Beach Boys".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 07:34:52 AM »

What a mess

13:49 is where Phil Hartman's introduction of the band starts. Performance follows right after.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2020, 08:12:10 AM »

What a mess

13:49 is where Phil Hartman's introduction of the band starts. Performance follows right after.

What a mess indeed.
Still, I'm always glad to see David Marks play with the band.
In what circumstances exactly did he come back to play with Mike and Bruce?
Did David stay in touch with the other Beach Boys during all those "lost years"?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2020, 08:44:54 AM »

<<What a mess indeed.
Still, I'm always glad to see David Marks play with the band.
In what circumstances exactly did he come back to play with Mike and Bruce?
Did David stay in touch with the other Beach Boys during all those "lost years"?>>

You should read Jon Stebbins' book "The Lost Beach Boy".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »

Actually, they weren't billed as "The Beach Boys", but rather as "A Tribute To The Beach Boys".

Right, I stand corrected. The infamous day Brian, Carl and Al watched, in surprise, as members of their band played as a  tribute to their band at the Super Bowl

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »

Right, I stand corrected. The infamous day Brian, Carl and Al watched, in surprise, as members of their band played as a  tribute to their band at the Super Bowl

I would think they'd have heard about it in advance, like most of us, through the media...it was publicized or advertised days ahead of time.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »

Right, I stand corrected. The infamous day Brian, Carl and Al watched, in surprise, as members of their band played as a  tribute to their band at the Super Bowl

I would think they'd have heard about it in advance, like most of us, through the media...it was publicized or advertised days ahead of time.

That would make sense, but according to Al Jardine you'd be wrong
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:46:44 AM by southbay » Logged

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »

According to Al Jardine, you'd be wrong

I know - but you'd still think they would've heard, even if they didn't.
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »

Who played on the backing tracks?

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »

I hear Adrian Baker all over the tracks. Every song I can hear his voice I think. Surfin USA and the intro to California Girls are similar if not identical to the versions on Mike's Catch A Wave CD, produced by Baker himself. I obviously hear Mike and Glen's leads. They sound pretty good. I 100% hear Dean Torrence's signature falsetto on Surf City. On the highest harmony of the "surffff cittyyyy" backing vocals. I really liked hearing Glen sing Jan's part on Surf City. He did great Jan impressions on Carnival of Sound and he still could do it well in the 90's.

Despite the sketchy circumstances, and for not being the full band, I'd say this is an all-star lineup of let's say, BBs associates. Mike, Bruce, David, and Glen equal four members of the BBs throughout their history, Stamos can hold his own on drums and had been playing with them for years, not to mention Dean who had been playing with the band since the early 60's. In fact, I'd have been thrilled for any of those guys to stay on full time.... Not Stamos tho LOL LOL LOL

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:03:42 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2020, 11:45:08 PM »

Very embarrassing. They showed the cheerleaders more than the band. Not that i'm complaining....
I just think it was very distasteful to trot this group out there while Carl was on his deathbed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx