gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:04:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian & Andy  (Read 1887 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »

about 5-6 years after the fact... is it possible that someone in the know explain the actual reason of Andy Paley's estrangement as a songwriting partner / band member?  Roll Eyes

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »

First off, there was not one estrangement. There have been at least three. So it's not an uncommon thing.

First, of course, the two stopped has stopped collaborating after BW88. BW resumed the collaboration in 92, after Landy left.

Second, the two stopped active work in the late 90s, when Brian started working first with Tony Asher and then with Joe Thomas.

Andy was back in the picture by 2000 (I think he's in a RS profile of BW from that year) and then filled in on percussion after Mikey D. departed. He was with the touring band for a year or two -- so actually he's been out of picture since 01 or 02, at which point Nelson Bragg came in.

They have collaborated since then. It's not like either has been in prison or anything. A SpongeBob album from '06 produced by Andy has Brian on backgrounds.

I've heard various things about why Andy left the road -- there are at least two different stories. But let's put it this way -- most conflicts in the music business (and life!) come down to two things -- ego and money.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 05:36:16 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »

Did I hear that Andy Paley has since passed away?

Speaking of prison, any chance of Charles Manson and a Phil Spector collaboration? 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 06:07:18 AM »

They are already working up a version of "Never Learn Not to Be My Baby"  LOL
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 07:15:51 AM »

Did I hear that Andy Paley has since passed away?

In a manner of speaking, but not literally.
Published June 25, 2010. Heather L. Crist and Andrew Paley were married Saturday evening at Prairie View Church of the Brethren in Scott City, Kan. Bob Kerrey, the former Nebraska senator who is the president of the New School in New York, a minister with Universal Ministries and a brother-in-law of the bridegroom, officiated.
- NY Times   http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/fashion/weddings/27CRIST.html

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »

I think Brian and Andy worked very well together, and I think it's a shame they don't work together more often. I remember reading a Goldmine article awhile back where they were in the studio and bouncing a lot of ideas off of one another like crazy. I mean, really productive, and experimenting with different sounds and Brian was really going at it and being stimulated. The two seemed to really be in sync and making a lot of good music. Then Andy was gone again.

Then I read that someone interviewed Andy and asked him about the '96 Wilson/Paley sessions and specifically how much of it was actually him and how much was Brian. Andy didn't give a clear cut answer, but the impression I got was that most of it may have been Andy. Maybe that's why we've only seen a couple of songs/fragments released from those sessions (or no?)

I always wondered why Andy started the, I think it was the '98 or '99 tour, and playing and singing on stage, then he was no longer touring. I heard at the time that there was a falling out of some sort - maybe Melinda was involved? And I think I saw Andy on stage after that and he was kind of in the back with a tamborine and singing background vocals. I know Scott Bennett has been a good colaborator for Brian recently, but I'd sure like to see Brian and Andy have a few more studio sessions together.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »

Andy was back in the picture by 2000 (I think he's in a RS profile of BW from that year) and then filled in on percussion after Mikey D. departed. He was with the touring band for a year or two -- so actually he's been out of picture since 01 or 02, at which point Nelson Bragg came in.

Actually, Andy filled in for an ill Darian Sahanaja on keyboards & vibes for a show or two in 2000 (in Hawaii, I believe).  Then he substituted for Mikey D. on percussion for the Paul Simon tour in 2001 and the early 2002 European Pet Sounds tour.  Mikey was back for the summer 2002 European Pet Sounds tour, and probably the later 2002 shows...Mikey was definitely present for the 2003 shows, and then Nelson took over for SMiLE in 2004.  
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx