gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:17:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Olympia Show, 1969  (Read 16179 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »

Beyond awesome.  Yes, that's Daryl Dragon on keyboards, plus Eddie Carter on bass/tambourine.  Not sure who the percussionist is.  Bruce told me that when they played Europe in those days, they would hire local horn sections rather than bring their U.S. horn section along. 

A million and one thanks for posting this!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »

I was particularly impressed by the "slow" medley there, moving pretty seamlessly between most of the songs, attention to harmony there. I was also amazed at how involved Bruce was during the live show, switching instruments and playing an awesome organ. Quite a far cry compared to today's shows.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »

The setlist is the same as the June 2 1969 show in Rotterdam-though the order was slightly changed.  They would have ended with Good Vibrations and then done their standard encore of Johnny B. Goode.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »

...and yeah, Mike is really WEIRD in this.  I'm kinda liking it though!
Saw them several times in this configuration-the real Beach Boys, that is. Myke's exhibitionism and attire is extremely annoying as it was back then as well.  His "material" is as flat as cardboard and I love how the audience and the rest of the group barely put up with the asshole. Roll Eyes
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »

Very, very nice - thanks for uploading this!  Cheesy

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »

WOW!!!!

And vocal tag on I can hear music is fantastic!

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 12:19:58 PM »

OK, so I just finished watching Part 5...the background players (horns & percussion) are from Britain...technically still "local", in a way.  I'm sure that was a way of saving money, on their part...just bring the charts from America, hire backup players in England, and take them to the continent, rather than brining over 6 extra guys from the U.S.

OK, so there's no Part 6...shame.  But we're fortunate to have most of it!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:21:00 PM by c-man » Logged
pianoman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 12:26:12 PM »

I shall worship you from now on, sir! This is one hell of a Christmas gift!  I was very surprised when they said Murry was in the audience. And I loved the heavenly reverb on the vocals and on Denny's drums on "Do It Again". And Carl Wilson - what a professional - you can tell he put all his heart into playing and singing. The medley was very surprising to me - did they perform it regularly during that tour?

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »

I have one million thoughts about this 45 minute gem!!
Here's some to start with:

Bruce is a true entertainer actually taking more space than Al
Mike does great leads, and asks for Steve Desper(?!)
Pompidou, you gotta love it!
Dennis, a proffessional drummer but very absent from the set

screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »

I shall worship you from now on, sir! This is one hell of a Christmas gift!  I was very surprised when they said Murry was in the audience. And I loved the heavenly reverb on the vocals and on Denny's drums on "Do It Again". And Carl Wilson - what a professional - you can tell he put all his heart into playing and singing. The medley was very surprising to me - did they perform it regularly during that tour?

Yes, the slow song medley was a regular staple of the '69/'70 shows.  Kind of a successor to the fast medley they did in '66-'67.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »

I shall worship you from now on, sir! This is one hell of a Christmas gift!  I was very surprised when they said Murry was in the audience. And I loved the heavenly reverb on the vocals and on Denny's drums on "Do It Again". And Carl Wilson - what a professional - you can tell he put all his heart into playing and singing.

Carl stole the show for me ! But Al had some great moments as well. His voice on the beginning of "Cottonfields" just blows my mind. He shows a great rythm on that.
Bruce all in all does a very fine job. Dennis is very good on drums but on the other hand has nothing to sing unfortunately. Mike does a very good job singing but his banter and actions (working on Carl's mic during "Darlin") are a pain though not as bad and annoying as later.
BTW I think they did a great job on "Break away". Never heard a pure liveversion in good quality before.

EDIT:
I just got a crazy idea. What do you think about this concert and the Good Vibrations in Central Park / London on one DVD ? If there wouldn't be the complete version of the lost concert with the Beatles' and Lesley Gore's set, I'd say put that on there as well
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:44:05 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »

Thanks so much for uploading this, man. Merry Christmas indeed!

Trying to figure out whether it's just the language barrier, or whether Mike Love has such a horrific sense of humour he can f*ck up the surefire crowdpleaser 'hey guys, you're on the telly!' before Do It Again...  LOL

Oh jesus, i just lost it over Mike's 'sex machine' comment......  LOL LOL LOL
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:40:37 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »

Unbelievable!  I'm almost hyper-ventilating.  And still only on part 1....

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »

Much appreciated Don - this is the good stuff! Great harmony and fine production, in a kind of unplugged style. Personally, I love the b&w - it just gives it a timeless feel, in front of an old theater stage set.

Anyone know whether this was meant for television release, stateside or Europe?

Hopefully this stays up for awhile - I downloaded it quickly just in case!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
XY
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

Desper was with them for the December 1968 European Tour. Perhaps he mixed this show as well and was responsible for the echo-effects on GOK + DIA for example.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 01:05:44 AM »

Great permformance thank you! As has been noted already, Mike really was a jackass here.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 02:39:37 AM »

Good stuff, keep it coming in time for a New Years gift?
MANY THANKS

Maybe Mike was just pumped up because he just started "his fasting stage" earlier in the day.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 04:21:09 AM »

Desper was with them for the December 1968 European Tour. Perhaps he mixed this show as well and was responsible for the echo-effects on GOK + DIA for example.

Would also explain effect on the drums at the start of Do It Again  (never knew they ever 'reproduced' that live) + other little touches like the reverbed vocal at the start of Cottonfields.  Oh and Mike's 'thunder'  (how weird was that!!)

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 06:52:49 AM »

Thank you for sharing, this was very entertaining!

One of the weirdest things about this performance was Bruce Johnston getting a solo spot in order to perform "The Nearest Faraway Place".
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 08:58:25 AM »

Fantastic concert, thanks so much.

I have to say, although Mike's voice was an essential part of the BBs sound and he contributed some great lyrics and even one great piece of his own songwriting (Big Sur), I believe at least 75% of the Beach Boys "uncool" image is solely his fault, dating back to this late 60s period.

This is really a great concert -- the highlights for me were Cottonfields and God Only Knows.

Denny's drumming is awesome, but too bad he wasn't given a single lead vocal.  He didn't even come up front for THWFOS.  The failure to feature him is my one real criticism.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »

I have to say, although Mike's voice was an essential part of the BBs sound and he contributed some great lyrics and even one great piece of his own songwriting (Big Sur), I believe at least 75% of the Beach Boys "uncool" image is solely his fault, dating back to this late 60s period.

This is really a great concert -- the highlights for me were Cottonfields and God Only Knows.

Denny's drumming is awesome, but too bad he wasn't given a single lead vocal.  He didn't even come up front for THWFOS.  The failure to feature him is my one real criticism.

Agreed with you on Mike

The lack of Denny has got to be some sort of fault of Mike Love's.   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »

Agreed with you on Mike

MUST argue with you on this one. Looking at popular bands in 1969.... The Beach Boys were really unhip wearing matching clothes and hardly found the gain switch on the amp....Mike Love was the only one with some creativity and ego to wear hip clothing. (which he stopped with late seventies and never went back to...) Music and charts is about the songs and production. And you sure as hell can't blame Mike for the production so blaming 75% of the unhip image on him is very harsh.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »

Not to jump on the Mike bashing bandwagon, but if his antics here were typical of his behaviour of this period then he definitely was hurting the band image wise. The dippy jokes, the drunken uncle at a wedding dancing and those stoopid robes make him appear ridiculous. In fairness though, with the exception of the odd nervous bit of chatter from Bruce, nobody else was prepared to MC and interact with the audience so credit must be given there. Just show a little restraint Mike.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »

squares hatin' on Mike . . . Brian's Trip

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
oldsurferdude
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »

Agreed with you on Mike

MUST argue with you on this one. Looking at popular bands in 1969.... The Beach Boys were really unhip wearing matching clothes and hardly found the gain switch on the amp....Mike Love was the only one with some creativity and ego to wear hip clothing. (which he stopped with late seventies and never went back to...) Music and charts is about the songs and production. And you sure as hell can't blame Mike for the production so blaming 75% of the unhip image on him is very harsh.

Maybe, however, he alone as the "lead singer" would be categorized as unhip in the then world of music. The geek nasal bleating, the bald head, the "look at me!" clothes, the jack ass humor,  all took its toll and virtually sealed his fate as an onstage jerk who was not to be taken seriously in music circles at that time and in the future.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx