gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:02:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which albums have a perfect flow and/or have no filler at all?  (Read 20971 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2011, 05:36:22 AM »

I count at least 66 filler tracks, just thru '73

County Fair
Ten Little Indians
Chug-A-Lug
Little Girl (You're My Miss America)
Surfin'
Heads You Win, Tails I Lose
Summertime Blues
Cuckoo Clock
Moon Dawg
The Shift
Misirlou
Stoked
Noble Surfer
Honky Tonk
Lana
Surf Jam
Let's Go Trippin'
Finders Keepers
The Surfer Moon
South Bay Surfer
The Rocking Surfer
Surfers Rule
Boogie Woodie
Ballad Of Ole'Betsy
Car Crazy Cutie
Spirit Of America
A Young Man Is Gone
In The Parkin' Lot
"Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson
This Car Of Mine
Pom-Pom Play Girl
Shut Down, Part II
Louie Louie
Denny's Drums
Carl's Big Chance
Do You Remember?
Drive-In
Our Favorite Recording Sessions
Help Me, Ronda
Bull Session With Big Daddy
Amusement Parks U.S.A.
Salt Lake City (but not filler on Stack-O-Trax)
I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man
And Your Dream Comes True
Hully Gully
I Should Have Known Better
Tell Me Why
Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow
Mountain Of Love
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Devoted To You
Alley Oop
There's No Other (Like My Baby)
Medley:I Get Around/Little Deuce Coupe
The Times They Are A Changin'
She's Goin' Bald
Bluebirds Over The Mountain
All I Want to Do
The Nearest Faraway Place
Don't Go Near The Water
Take A Load Off Your Feet
Student Demonstration Time
Here She Comes
He Came Down
Hold On Dear Brother
Make It Good

The Surfer Moon?Pom-Pom Play Girl?Hully Gully?Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow ?(wow those are 4 awesome songs) :]
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »

Sorry, but Pom Pom Play Girl- FILLER!!!!!!

Have you got ears?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

In under two minutes Brian Wilson manahes to squeeze in about 12 key changes. When I first heard this I had to pinch myself as I was convinced Mozart had not dies of kidney failure but was alive and well and living in LA.

Who cares about lyrics?

This has nothing to do with music

Pom Pom Play Girl is one of THE prime examples of Brian Wilsons genius

And by genius I mean the 18th century correct understanding of the term. Someone who can hear more than 5 lines of polyphony in their head,

Sorry, but how can you call this song filler?

I'm very very angry, and I don't care.

It's not often I react like this, I'm very easy going.

I have just got back from a rare night out at the pub though

My judgment may be off kilter

But I'm very cross now. I wish I hadn't logged on.

I'm sorry

Pom Pom Play Girl is not filler

You are so very wrong.
i agree with u completely those 2 songs are way too good 2 considered filler material Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2011, 06:13:28 AM »

The Shift
"The Shift" filler?? Ye gods! I wrote this ages ago but my opinion hasn't changed a jot since then:

I have often wondered why no-one (to my knowledge) has ever mentioned "The Shift" (first album, final track) as a pointer to the future. Most reviews quickly dismiss it as "a fashion statement by Brian and Mike" or words to that effect. On the face of it, the main tune is a 12-bar blues (I I I I IV IV I I V IV I V). However, Brian "shifts" the key up a whole tone in bar 3 and back down again in bar 12 (in Carl's solo too). As far as I know this is unique----no-one else has ever done this. Still, we're talking about Brian Wilson so perhaps it's not so surprising after all.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »

I count at least 66 filler tracks, just thru '73

The Surfer Moon
"Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson
Help Me, Ronda
Amusement Parks U.S.A.
I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man
And Your Dream Comes True
Hully Gully
Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow
Devoted To You
She's Goin' Bald
All I Want to Do
Don't Go Near The Water
Take A Load Off Your Feet
He Came Down

Well, I just don't like you at all.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2014, 02:07:45 AM »

The only tracks that disrupt the perfect flow of my listening pleasure are "Cassius..." and "All I Want To Do".

That's up to and including Holland. After that it gets messy.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2014, 02:36:33 AM »

in your opinion   Grin

I myself kinda like the filler stuff, but I still consider them filler stuff.

In my opinion of the non-filler-containing albums:
-Summer Days (Then I Kissed Her was kinda pushing it)
-Pet Sounds (obviously
-Smiley
-Wild Honey
-Friends
-Surfer Girl
-Sunflower (Tears in the Morning almost ruin it)
-Holland
-Love You
-L.A.
-BB85
-Still Cruisin (could have been if they were smarter when putting the album together)

SIP is the winner of having the most fillers! I think everything is except Island Fever Lahania Aloha.

Wild Honey - Mama Says
Smiley - Whistlin (okey the entire album is so weird it's hard to make out 'filler' material)
LA - Shortenin Bread (would never make the cut if they had something half decent to throw it, or maybe it was a carrot for Brian?)
Friends - Passing By (VERY NICE filler, but still filler imo)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2014, 02:57:35 AM »

SIP is the winner of having the most fillers! I think everything is except Island Fever Lahania Aloha.
Haha. The big question is: At what point does an album stop having fillers and just become a crap album?!

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »

Pet Sounds and Smiley Smile and Smile Sessions, no filler IMHO.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2014, 02:37:03 PM »

This may sound odd to some of you, but if you haven't sat back and truly listened to the LDC album, songs in order as on the lp from start to finish, you might be in for a treat.  This lp stands in terms of content, theme, melody, and harmony.  It has flow and I don't hear filler.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2014, 11:06:13 PM »

This may sound odd to some of you, but if you haven't sat back and truly listened to the LDC album, songs in order as on the lp from start to finish, you might be in for a treat.  This lp stands in terms of content, theme, melody, and harmony.  It has flow and I don't hear filler.
I totally agree!
The a album gets grief because of songs previously released on earlier albums (LDC, SD, and 409), but speaking only in terms of flow and lack of filler, this album is a pure gem! Love the LP version of Be True, the vocals on Betsy, Custom Machine, No Go, and Car Crazy are fab! So what if Car Crazy Cutie is a re-write of Pamela Jean and Cherry Coup is a rewrite of Land Ahoy. Just take the LP as is and it's a GAS! No pun intended.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »

I totally agree!
The a album gets grief because of songs previously released on earlier albums (LDC, SD, and 409), but speaking only in terms of flow and lack of filler, this album is a pure gem! Love the LP version of Be True, the vocals on Betsy, Custom Machine, No Go, and Car Crazy are fab! So what if Car Crazy Cutie is a re-write of Pamela Jean and Cherry Coup is a rewrite of Land Ahoy. Just take the LP as is and it's a GAS! No pun intended.
To me, both songs work better in their re-written form on LDC. I think it is a great album, as well. The three peviously released songs work much better here than on the originals from which they came.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »

L.A. except the last awful cut.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

The spoken word tracks on the 64-5 albums dont make the whole album filler!! To me all these albums are perfect, joke tracks , instros, whatever, love it all : surfer girl, shut down vol2, all summer long, today, summer days, pet sounds, smiley smile, wild honey, 20/20, sunflower, holland, and love you ALL great!   Surfin safari was ok,  I love surfin usa but ya can tell it was a surf music cash-in, little deuce coupe great but one third is rereleased , friends is great but not the strongest album, surfs up is good but I would consider it secondary, and anything after love you is NOT worth it until youve gotten everything from 63 to 77.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »

I always thought "I'm so young" was filler and didn't seem to fit the rest of the album , and of course those silly "talking tracks" on the various albums..
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »

I always thought "I'm so young" was filler and didn't seem to fit the rest of the album , and of course those silly "talking tracks" on the various albums..
Awww. Why does "I'm So Young" get so much stick? That coda alone puts it in my BB top ten... 

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »

Thats what I meant by joke tracks- cassius vs sonny, our fav sessions, bugged at my ol man and bull session, those are prevalent throwaways... but there wasnt a single band that didnt have on purpose filler tracks .
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »

Awww. Why does "I'm So Young" get so much stick? That coda alone puts it in my BB top ten... 
It has a fantastic bass line, as well. For me, this is a cover that Brian and the Boys made their own.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »

Most Beach Boys' albums, even the best, have some filler. Although it isn't my favorite of the 63-65 albums, Surfer Girl has very little padding for a 1963 rock LP.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »

The "filler" was a song or two at the most and they didnt have as much filler as the beatles, specially post-revolver, and the majority of every other group at that time and since right-
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »

Man, since reading this thread, I can't believe how many mention a disliking for Shortenin Bread, but no mention of hate for Here Comes the Night. I enjoy the whole album, I look at the Shortenin Bread ending as a jam after all those slow and/or sad songs...much like the ending to the Friends album with the Transendental Meditation studio band jam.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2014, 10:36:53 AM »

The "filler" was a song or two at the most and they didnt have as much filler as the beatles, specially post-revolver, and the majority of every other group at that time and since right-
Perhaps this is too off topic, but I'd love to see a list of what you think is filler within the whole Beatles Discography.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »

Man, since reading this thread, I can't believe how many mention a disliking for Shortenin Bread, but no mention of hate for Here Comes the Night. I enjoy the whole album, I look at the Shortenin Bread ending as a jam after all those slow and/or sad songs...much like the ending to the Friends album with the Transendental Meditation studio band jam.

I gotta agree with you Punkinhead. Shortenin Bread ends the LP on an up note.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:57:06 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx