gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:35:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Beach Boys" to play retirement party  (Read 4792 times)
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »

http://blogs.mcall.com/capitol_ideas/2010/12/beach-boys-to-headline-rendell-farewell-bash.html

I don't know about anyone else, but this news just really bugged me. I don't know what ticks me off more, that most people (who dont know any better) are gonna think the Beach Boys (& not Mike & Bruce alone) are a retirement band or that it's my crooked governor who's to blame and me who's gonna have to end up paying for a party thats just going to screw the BB name some more Angry Ugh. Sorry I had to vent. Oh and did I mention Im not even invited Roll Eyes

oldsurferdude
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:20 PM »

http://blogs.mcall.com/capitol_ideas/2010/12/beach-boys-to-headline-rendell-farewell-bash.html

I don't know about anyone else, but this news just really bugged me. I don't know what ticks me off more, that most people (who dont know any better) are gonna think the Beach Boys (& not Mike & Bruce alone) are a retirement band or that it's my crooked governor who's to blame and me who's gonna have to end up paying for a party thats just going to screw the BB name some more Angry Ugh. Sorry I had to vent. Oh and did I mention Im not even invited Roll Eyes

I love it-just adds fuel to the bonfire that is the fact that Myk Luhv's perverse karma shows no bounds when it comes to putting more money under his turban. Wouldn't put it past him or Bruce to play for a Wal-Mart opening real soon. Embarrassed
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »

Insulting people by misspelling their name? What is this, Mad Magazine?!

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »

He's an old surfer dude...he's been whacked in the head by a board too many times. Smiley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:58 PM »

Cutie -- You will not have to pay for it. The article says quite clearly that Rendell's campaign committee is paying for the event -- and its money would come from campaign donors, not taxpayers.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:46:12 AM »

I was at the gig the band did when Rendell was elected, as a thank you for his campaign workers (long story, but I happened to be in the Philly area at the time and a friend's wife was invited but couldn't make it): wonder if I can swing an invite for this one ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 06:49:34 AM »

I was at the gig the band did when Rendell was elected, as a thank you for his campaign workers (long story, but I happened to be in the Philly area at the time and a friend's wife was invited but couldn't make it): wonder if I can swing an invite for this one ?

Consider yourself well in( part of the family)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:15:09 AM »

Gov. Rendell has made no secret that he has always been a big fan of the band. Knowing Mike's political views, I doubt that this show has anything to do with politics. "The Gov" is an even bigger Philadelphia Eagles fan, which makes him OK in my book (No political overtones). Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:21:34 AM »

If you made it to that gig will you be going to the "Malt Shop" cruise as well?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:28:41 AM »

Gov. Rendell has made no secret that he has always been a big fan of the band. Knowing Mike's political views, I doubt that this show has anything to do with politics. "The Gov" is an even bigger Philadelphia Eagles fan, which makes him OK in my book (No political overtones). Smiley

The Beach Boys played Philadelphia's July 4th concert in the mid 90's when Rendell was mayor, and that concert was broadcast live in stereo on WPVI in Philly. Rendell and his wife Midge were on stage or off to the side of the stage during the show, and if I remember someone in the band called her on stage to dance during a song. That was a good show as soon as they got the audio problems sorted out. I haven't watched that VHS in years!

As far as Rendell being an Eagles fan, he can get a bit overzealous in his support of the team, like the time he was spotted throwing an ice ball onto the field during the infamous Eagles-Cowboys "Snow Bowl" when Jimmy Johnson and his 'Boys were pelted with snowballs and ice during a game.

Maybe in a similar fashion he'll be the one to get the beach balls flying around the stage during this upcoming show. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 08:46:59 PM »

Cutie -- You will not have to pay for it. The article says quite clearly that Rendell's campaign committee is paying for the event -- and its money would come from campaign donors, not taxpayers.
Yeah, they're paying for everything Roll Eyes I guess I've become sorta cynical with our state government seeing as since Rendell took office there have been more politicians in Harrisburg indicted for having their hand in the cookie jar for personal agendas than any time in PA history (and our taxes have skyrocketed). Still, that doesn't bother me as much as what its doing to the BB legacy

And yet another majorly important reminder as to why I don't like him: I live in Steeler Country LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 11:59:47 AM »

Bulls@#t about what it is doing to the Beach Boys legacy. It does nothing, and most people will never even be aware that the show takes place. Be happy that a Republican Pittsburger (which you surely must be) will soon be your new governor. By the way, Pennsylvania hasn't had an honest leader since William Penn.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »

I hate Rendell. It's all fine and good that he is an Eagles fan, but he should have stayed away from the parade after the Steelers won Super Bowl 40. He was running for re-election at the time against Steelers great Lynn Swann, who was also there, and tried to upstage him. He was roundly booed by the crowd. I wish somebody would've gotten a hold of him and beaten him for his indescretion toward the mighty black & gold.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »

I'm sure that you would have felt slighted and pissed if Gov. Rendell had completely ignored the fact that they won the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter whether he was running for re-election, he was the sitting Governor of Pennsylvania. I live in NJ, and I was proud that a PA team the Super Bowl. Come on now, it's only music and sports.

Edit: Whoever edited my comment above, please capitalize the first word. I hope you realize that Merd in French means exactly the same word I misspelled on purpose. It is worse than what I originally posted. So, if you really feel the need to censor my posts, please use "Bull-honky". Thank You.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »

bullmerda about what it is doing to the Beach Boys legacy. It does nothing, and most people will never even be aware that the show takes place. Be happy that a Republican Pittsburger (which you surely must be) will soon be your new governor. By the way, Pennsylvania hasn't had an honest leader since William Penn.

LOL "a Republican Pittsburgher", I don't think there is such a thing LOL But I've lived with someone from "Joisy" my whole life and understand they're easily confused Wink I honestly couldn't have told you whether Rendell was democrat or republican nor do I care (and I liked Corbett about as much as Onorato which was not at all). Im not a republican but I love how if you dont like a democrat you're automatically republican. I think both are as crooked as $3 bills, and have never paid attention to parties in regards to whom I like or (in most cases) don't like. And fyi last time I voted was in a 2000 mock school election and it was for Gore. Now back to more important (Beach Boy) matters Grin
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »

I live 5 minutes from the venue, & it's free, so I may finally see my first Mike show.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »

enjoy it...they put on a great show and do the music proud.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »

I love it-just adds fuel to the bonfire that is the fact that Myk Luhv's perverse karma shows no bounds when it comes to putting more money under his turban. Wouldn't put it past him or Bruce to play for a Wal-Mart opening real soon. Embarrassed
OldSurferDude, I think you are just angry that Mike Love (née Myk Luhv) is the sole reason for any commercial and/or artistic success the Beach Boys have had.

- B00ts
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »

OldSurferDude, I think you are just angry that Mike Love (née Myk Luhv) is the sole reason for any commercial and/or artistic success the Beach Boys have had.

Whoa whoa whoa, there! I know you don't mean that!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »

bullmerda about what it is doing to the Beach Boys legacy. It does nothing, and most people will never even be aware that the show takes place. Be happy that a Republican Pittsburger (which you surely must be) will soon be your new governor. By the way, Pennsylvania hasn't had an honest leader since William Penn.

LOL "a Republican Pittsburgher", I don't think there is such a thing LOL But I've lived with someone from "Joisy" my whole life and understand they're easily confused Wink I honestly couldn't have told you whether Rendell was democrat or republican nor do I care (and I liked Corbett about as much as Onorato which was not at all). Im not a republican but I love how if you dont like a democrat you're automatically republican. I think both are as crooked as $3 bills, and have never paid attention to parties in regards to whom I like or (in most cases) don't like. And fyi last time I voted was in a 2000 mock school election and it was for Gore. Now back to more important (Beach Boy) matters Grin
If you don't vote then you really shoudn't bitch here about who you like or dislike. Rendell, good or bad is a Beach Boys fan and if that is who he wants for his party, then more power to him.  Happy New Year! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »

I hate to keep this going, but I must add that I wasn't even old enough to vote when Rendell was elected Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 08:00:59 PM »

HUH??  Hey, you been drinking?  Smoking?  Injesting?  Injecting?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 09:03:58 AM »

Are you just trying to let me down easy because it wasn't really Bruce?? Thud
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx