gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:53:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson Interview + Extras: "Guitar" Magazine September 1989  (Read 3380 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:15:43 AM »

In the spirit of the Holiday season, I found this in my collection of old guitar magazines and wanted to share it: a short interview with Carl from the now-defunct magazine "Guitar For The Practicing Musician". I wish it were longer, I wish there were more details, and there are obvious typos and mistakes which you'll see, but it's an interview which hasn't appeared in too many places (if at all recently) and it's something to add to the collection and the discussion.

To preface, this interview is more of a footnote but the real "keeper" is an interview Carl did with "Guitar Player" in the early 80's where he actually talks about...his guitars! That's a great one, but I don't have it (yet) in my archives. "Guitar Player" also did a bigger piece on the Wrecking Crew's guitar work for the Beach Boys in the early 90's, which I do have.

This 1989 "Guitar" magazine  included guitar and bass transcriptions of California Girls to go with Carl's interview. Av On request. Wink

These are fairly high-res scans of the pages, so the files are big. Click and enlarge.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/?action=view&current=CarlWilsonp1.jpg

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/?action=view&current=CarlWilsonp2.jpg

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:25:47 AM »

Thank you for sharing it with us. I wished there were more interviews with Carl.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28:48 AM »

In the spirit of the Holiday season, I found this in my collection of old guitar magazines and wanted to share it: a short interview with Carl from the now-defunct magazine "Guitar For The Practicing Musician". I wish it were longer, I wish there were more details, and there are obvious typos and mistakes which you'll see, but it's an interview which hasn't appeared in too many places (if at all recently) and it's something to add to the collection and the discussion.

To preface, this interview is more of a footnote but the real "keeper" is an interview Carl did with "Guitar Player" in the early 80's where he actually talks about...his guitars! That's a great one, but I don't have it (yet) in my archives. "Guitar Player" also did a bigger piece on the Wrecking Crew's guitar work for the Beach Boys in the early 90's, which I do have.

This 1989 "Guitar" magazine  included guitar and bass transcriptions of California Girls to go with Carl's interview. Av On request. Wink

These are fairly high-res scans of the pages, so the files are big. Click and enlarge.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/?action=view&current=CarlWilsonp1.jpg

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/?action=view&current=CarlWilsonp2.jpg

I have an April 1976 issue of Guitar Player with Carl " 14 Years A BB" somewhere, that I can scan, tho I'm not sure it's the one you want, as it's 70's not 80's.

Edit: Same problem with attachments, I mentioned elsewhere; if you want to PM with your email, I'll send the scans. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:24:45 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 09:49:19 AM »

Thanks for sharing!

Kind of unfortunate the guy did ask about so many albums Carl didn't even have a hand in writing (or producing, for that matter). Why even mention the M.I.U. Album?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:04 PM »

Does anybody have the interview Billy Hinsche did with Carl for Guitar One???

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:16:45 PM »

I have an April 1976 issue of Guitar Player with Carl " 14 Years A BB" somewhere, that I can scan, tho I'm not sure it's the one you want, as it's 70's not 80's.

Edit: Same problem with attachments, I mentioned elsewhere; if you want to PM with your email, I'll send the scans. 

bgas, try www.tinypic.com. Works terrific for uploading pictures and adding them here.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »

bgas, try www.tinypic.com. Works terrific for uploading pictures and adding them here.

I'll check it out!  I generally use Photobucket.  
Your avatar looks more like sinterklaas than Santa, by the way...  

edit:
Ha ha!!  I tried tiny pic, and as I'm copying to use here, it says "Join today", which turns out to be Photobucket....  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:50:20 PM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »

Does anybody have the interview Billy Hinsche did with Carl for Guitar One???

Not familiar with the mag; do you know which issue? 
Here's a website that seems to have issues of Guitar One for sale, dating back to about 1997: 

http://www.musicdispatch.com/promo/promo.do?promotion=16

I didn't check them all to see whether they might have the one you're asking about. 

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »

Found it...

http://www.billyhinsche.com/story4.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:33:17 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »

LOL Cause it is...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »

Indeed!. Hence the reason I added the subtitle "... "the REAL REAL Santa"

edit:
Ha ha!!  I tried tiny pic, and as I'm copying to use here, it says "Join today", which turns out to be Photobucket....  

Hm, strange, must be a U.S.-only message then. I don't get to see it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx