gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681287 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi May 31, 2024, 11:31:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "In The Back Of My Mind": 70's version?  (Read 16372 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »

I'd love to hear this as well, if for no other reason than to hear Brian sing the song.  I can actually imagine it working for his voice in that era.  Why he would choose to sing it in the first place is beyond me, but from a historical perspective it would be fascinating to hear.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 10:43:55 PM »

Since a lot of things we dreamed of (the demo of "California Feelin'", "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again)" and some we never even knew existed ("Surf's Up 1967", "Child Is Father Of The Man" with more vocals) ended up getting release within the past few years, I wanted to bring back the topic of Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind".

Honestly, besides whatever new material he is putting out, this is the Brian recording that I would totally love to hear. However, I wonder if there is even a chance. It doesn't really seem that this has gotten much traction in the fan community like other stuff did, such as the aforementioned "California Feelin'" demo and "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" or even something like "Barnyard Blues". But maybe one of these years we could end up hearing this super interesting sounding recording. Possibly as a part of some kind of "bedroom years" release if one ever materializes?

So over the past few years, was anything else ever learned about this recording?  I guess it's for sure then that it exists, as Adam Marsland heard it. Does anybody know if the 1975 recording date is indeed correct? Did we ever find out a month? Because we do know that by later in the year "Back Home" was recorded, and Brian sounded quite different from the old days.

So yeah, just bringing this back up to see if anybody knows anything? Maybe c-man? Any info on where it was recorded and on what date? Anything besides just Brian and piano?

Anyways, hopefully the fact that I brought this old thread back up isn't a problem. I figure it's a worthwhile subject.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »

Since a lot of things we dreamed of (the demo of "California Feelin'", "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again)" and some we never even knew existed ("Surf's Up 1967", "Child Is Father Of The Man" with more vocals) ended up getting release within the past few years, I wanted to bring back the topic of Brian's 1975 recording of "In the Back of My Mind".

Honestly, besides whatever new material he is putting out, this is the Brian recording that I would totally love to hear. However, I wonder if there is even a chance. It doesn't really seem that this has gotten much traction in the fan community like other stuff did, such as the aforementioned "California Feelin'" demo and "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" or even something like "Barnyard Blues". But maybe one of these years we could end up hearing this super interesting sounding recording. Possibly as a part of some kind of "bedroom years" release if one ever materializes?

So over the past few years, was anything else ever learned about this recording?  I guess it's for sure then that it exists, as Adam Marsland heard it. Does anybody know if the 1975 recording date is indeed correct? Did we ever find out a month? Because we do know that by later in the year "Back Home" was recorded, and Brian sounded quite different from the old days.

So yeah, just bringing this back up to see if anybody knows anything? Maybe c-man? Any info on where it was recorded and on what date? Anything besides just Brian and piano?

Anyways, hopefully the fact that I brought this old thread back up isn't a problem. I figure it's a worthwhile subject.

I'm reliably informed it'll be on the 2025 copyright extension release.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2014, 05:38:33 AM »

Whew!  That's good to hear; I was scared I might not hear this before I got to be 100...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 06:25:34 AM »

Oh Andrew you joker!  LOL
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »

By the way, dennis' live version of this song was excellent
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »

By the way, dennis' live version of this song was excellent

Were you at one of those concerts? This is one of my favorite songs, I would've killed to hear Dennis do it live.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »

I have it on a mixed live boot CD someone made me years ago ...... Sounds great!

Don't know if I'm allowed to even be mentioning this, but ......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:21 PM »

I have it on a mixed live boot CD someone made me years ago ...... Sounds great!

Don't know if I'm allowed to even be mentioning this, but ......

I don't get the constant mealy mouthing for boots.
As long as you're not offering to supply them or asking to receive them, there's no prohibitons about discussion.
This IS supposed to be a discussion board, after all

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »

I have to admit that I just couldn't stand 'In The Back of My Mind' when I bought 'Today' back in 1965.  And now here we are almost 50 years later and I still have NO idea why that song was included on the album.  To these ears it just wasn't ready for prime time whatsoever.  The vocals were weak, poorly done and, at times, just too out of tune.  Why the heck was that allowed to pass through the 'fire-wall'?  A re-record would have been the right thing to do.  It is one of the reasons why I rank 'Today' lower than it otherwise would have deserved to be placed.

So come with it...I am wearing my triple thick/extra strength asbestos suit.  The song was poop.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

I have to admit that I just couldn't stand 'In The Back of My Mind' when I bought 'Today' back in 1965.  And now here we are almost 50 years later and I still have NO idea why that song was included on the album.  To these ears it just wasn't ready for prime time whatsoever.  The vocals were weak, poorly done and, at times, just too out of tune.  Why the heck was that allowed to pass through the 'fire-wall'?  A re-record would have been the right thing to do.  It is one of the reasons why I rank 'Today' lower than it otherwise would have deserved to be placed.
Interesting viewpoint, I don't recall reading anything like that before about the song. And it comes from an old-timer! Thanks for telling it like it is, Add Some! And welcome to the board!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »

Huh.  I do agree that Dennis' vocal take isn't very refined.  But anyone judging the song has to hear the instrumental backing track by itself.  Stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUtWOPzSeE
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »

I have to admit that I just couldn't stand 'In The Back of My Mind' when I bought 'Today' back in 1965.  And now here we are almost 50 years later and I still have NO idea why that song was included on the album.  To these ears it just wasn't ready for prime time whatsoever.  The vocals were weak, poorly done and, at times, just too out of tune.  Why the heck was that allowed to pass through the 'fire-wall'?  A re-record would have been the right thing to do.  It is one of the reasons why I rank 'Today' lower than it otherwise would have deserved to be placed.
Interesting viewpoint, I don't recall reading anything like that before about the song. And it comes from an old-timer! Thanks for telling it like it is, Add Some! And welcome to the board!

It IS interesting to hear different takes on this (to many fans) hallowed track. The mood is mournful and dirge-like, with Dennis singing very plaintively, less polished-sounding than most and very nearly off-key. The vocal style and dissonant chord at the end stand in contrast to the perfection of the rest of side 2, though the tone is somewhat similar, esp. to She Knows Me Too Well, an undeniable classic. The song has been cited as early evidence of Brian's impending disturbed state of mind, and it may well be. The production is first-rate though, and there is an alternate take on YouTube featuring Dennis' single-tracked vocal which is very revealing. Not as muddy as the album version and quite excellent IMO.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 03:56:26 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2014, 03:47:33 AM »

As Shane mentioned...the backing musical track is truly well done if not a stark contrast to the other tracks on the album...just like the orchestral work on their Christmas album is obviously a different slant on things. musically speaking.

No...my problem is with the vocals.  I have no idea how many takes Dennis put in on this one but...even if it was only one...I'm saying Brian took the wrong one for inclusion on 'Today'.

I prefer several versions of Help Me Rhonda/Ronda to the one on the album...and it ain't bad at all as is.  So if Brian could fix that....why not in the back of my vacuous noggin?  One [and a half/Party bein' the 1/2] albums later he had NO problem switching vocals in and out...including dumping some of his own.  I'm going to GUESS that time/touring restraints perhaps kept that from happening with the song sitting under our collective microscope. 

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2014, 04:01:16 AM »

As Shane mentioned...the backing musical track is truly well done if not a stark contrast to the other tracks on the album...just like the orchestral work on their Christmas album is obviously a different slant on things. musically speaking.

No...my problem is with the vocals.  I have no idea how many takes Dennis put in on this one but...even if it was only one...I'm saying Brian took the wrong one for inclusion on 'Today'.

I prefer several versions of Help Me Rhonda/Ronda to the one on the album...and it ain't bad at all as is.  So if Brian could fix that....why not in the back of my vacuous noggin?  One [and a half/Party bein' the 1/2] albums later he had NO problem switching vocals in and out...including dumping some of his own.  I'm going to GUESS that time/touring restraints perhaps kept that from happening with the song sitting under our collective microscope. 

I think Brian directed Dennis to sing the lead in that ragged, hangdog, beseeching way, to better express the emotional confusion that he (Brian) was feeling at the time. The single version of Ronda/Rhonda was an attempt to record the material in a more perky arrangement so it would be more commercial, and it succeeds artistically as well.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »

"I  think Brian directed Dennis to sing the lead in that ragged, hangdog, beseeching way, to better express the emotional confusion that he (Brian) was feeling at the time. "

------------

And he only felt to express that confusion is such a strange manner once?  [given the oddities of 'I'm Bugged At My Old Man'...which at that time I took as mere teenage rebellion until I found out differently]  In that time-frame and context when Brian was churning 'em out like a factory there's nothing really like it heading into...or out of 1965.  In My Room?  Beautiful.  A glimpse inside Brian's head with 'Busy Doin' Nothin' suggests nothing of the sort.  I wonder if the "emotional confusion" explanation is just a theory conceived to try and explain why the song stood/stands the way it does?  I know that it ain't just a mistake.

I guess I've made my point about it standing out on 'Today' like a hammer smacked throbbing thumb?  If THAT was a warning signal from Brian everyone who mattered surely missed it.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2014, 04:30:21 AM »

This is one of my favourite BBs songs and I never had a problem with the vocal. Until I started reading this board it never occurred to me that anyone would.

Please delete my account
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »

This is one of my favourite BBs songs and I never had a problem with the vocal. Until I started reading this board it never occurred to me that anyone would.

Ditto that. I always loved Dennis' vocals.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2014, 08:19:39 AM »

I'm a big Dennis fan, but, for me, his vocal on "In The Back Of My Mind" keeps the song from reaching its full potential. I often wondered if Brian gave the song to Dennis because he (Brian) really thought that Dennis was the right voice for the song - or if he was just throwing Dennis a bone. If it's the latter, I wish Brian would've thrown Carl a bone with this song. I think Carl (or Brian) would've done it more justice.

If Brian was really happy with the way the song turned out, I wonder what motivated him to re-record it. Granted it could be several reasons.

Yeah, I think "In The Back Of My Mind" belongs on Today, although I could also hear it on Summer Days (And Summer Nights). However, I still think "She Knows Me Too Well" was/is perfect as an album closer.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »

I didn't want to give the impression that I don't really dig almost all of the songs Dennis recorded as a lead vocalist. ..solo or Beach Boys.   Many are just outstanding.  It's just this one...and also the kind of muddy rendition of the hit 'Do You Wanna Dance' which, to me, come up short of the typical BW qualitative line.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »

I didn't want to give the impression that I don't really dig almost all of the songs Dennis recorded as a lead vocalist. ..solo or Beach Boys.   Many are just outstanding.  It's just this one...and also the kind of muddy rendition of the hit 'Do You Wanna Dance' which, to me, come up short of the typical BW qualitative line.

I guess that is why I liked it, strangely enough. There was something less refined and "Rock 'n Roll" about his vocals. It's unexpected.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2014, 05:15:27 PM »

I've always loved the song, the track, the playing, Dennis' vocal.....

Let's remember that Brian is a master of sequencing ...... Whatever the song's/track's apparent "weaknesses" are, I think Brian used them to an advantage by placing the song at the very end of an album (well, aside from Bull Session) that ..... for the time especially ..... was something of an emotional drainer (side 2 mainly) ...... Having a spent/desperate/sad/reflective narrator at the helm of the song was a crack decision ...... and Dennis was perfect for that.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2014, 05:28:38 PM »

I much prefer the alternate mix with Dennis' single tracked vocal. The double tracking on the Today version lessens the immediacy and natural appeal of Dennis' voice IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Q8gMdFgfU
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »

I much prefer the alternate mix with Dennis' single tracked vocal. The double tracking on the Today version lessens the immediacy and natural appeal of Dennis' voice IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Q8gMdFgfU

Thank you..... I'd never heard that version ...... The only "flaw" I could ever notice in the album version was not-exactly-perfect double tracking.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »

Yup.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx