gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680811 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:00:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson Philips attempts "Our Prayer" ?!  (Read 6127 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »

Wilson Phillips Tackles Beach Boys Song

Wilson Phillips tackles a Beach Boys song on their new album and they say it’s the hardest they’ve ever taken on.

NEW YORK (December 14, 2010) — The hardest song Wilson Phillips says they have ever tackled is on their new album, "Christmas in Harmony."

It's a Beach Boys song called "Our Prayer."

Carnie Wilson says normally Wilson Phillips can fall into harmony naturally, but not on that song.

Their dad, Beach Boy Brian Wilson, was traveling, so he couldn't break down the parts for them, and their producer, Glen Ballard, refused even to attempt it.

So Wilson says her husband, Rob, wrote out charts for them and conducted them with a baton.

That wasn't the only hard part about making the album.

Wilson says they recorded it in June in southern California, and the air conditioning was broken.

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/Wilson_Phillips_Tackles_Beach_Boys_Song_111869884.html

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Paulos
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »

Someone psoted a link to s snippet of their version of Our Prayer a month or so ago, it was auto-tuned to death and sounded cold and sterile.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »

Of course it was Auto-Tuned, that's become as much of a standard for any "pro" recording in 2010 as mixing in stereo became standard by 1968, or Eventide Harmonizers and Sonic Maximizers and/or Aural Exciters became must-haves well into the 80's. It's part of our collective "sound" in 2010. Those who don't automatically Auto-Tune backing vocals fall into a niche like the retro folks who insist on paying obscene amounts of money for 2" tape reels to record with.

Having said that, I think it is a bit overstated to say no one wanted to tackle the process of transcribing those harmonies, including mega-successful producer Glen Ballard. They're not that hard to hear, and as an exercise in one of my ear training classes at college we did individual parts of Our Prayer which had been transcribed and divided up into individual parts, just like any chorale. Remember Darian S. and company did it with Smile, and it sounded just like the "original". Not saying it's easy but it's not as complex as that article would suggest.

I guess it's also a commentary on just how skilled the Beach Boys were as harmony singers - listen to the famous rehearsal of Our Prayer and they have that natural ability to blend and balance their voices, while staying relatively on pitch and not needing any kind of "fixing" via Auto-Tune if it existed in 1966. I give them all the credit due as musicians of the highest order, and Brian's vocal arrangements are second to none in that style.

It's sad to see that the art of vocal harmony in popular music has degenerated itself to the often-obnoxious beat boxing and ersatz Bobby McFerrin vocal manipulations heard on "Glee" and other a cappela showcases. If you gave some of those folks the assignment of singing "Our Prayer" I don't think they'd have a clue how to handle it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »

You can hear some of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBj9I_t5i5Y

It's not as bad as I thought, but somehow it's very...cold. That's my complain with W-P in general, and with a lot of pop vocalists. They don't have the warmth in their voices that the BBs or other harmony groups, like the Beatles, had. That's not always the case, but with W-P, they always sounded so stylized, like they were trying to sound like people they'd heard instead of singing from their hearts (Murry).
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:06:03 PM »

OT, but I found something like Autotuned vocals way back in 1940!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH-krlgo2e8

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »

Sparky's magic piano !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »

It's sad to see that the art of vocal harmony in popular music has degenerated itself to the often-obnoxious beat boxing and ersatz Bobby McFerrin vocal manipulations heard on "Glee" and other a cappela showcases. If you gave some of those folks the assignment of singing "Our Prayer" I don't think they'd have a clue how to handle it.

Can be done...  Grin

Our Prayer

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »

When I watched this clip, I felt renewed hope for the new generation. Bless their hearts.  And the WP cut is very good, as well as several of the songs on their new CD.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »

It's not as bad as I thought, but somehow it's very...cold. That's my complain with W-P in general, and with a lot of pop vocalists. They don't have the warmth in their voices that the BBs or other harmony groups, like the Beatles, had. That's not always the case, but with W-P, they always sounded so stylized, like they were trying to sound like people they'd heard instead of singing from their hearts (Murry).

I don't know much about Autotuning, but can it be done when they sing live?
 They look like they're singing from their hearts; maybe they've just been visited by the ghost of Murry past?

http://dutchbeachboys.blogspot.com/2010/12/wilson-phillips-performs-wonderland.html

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »

I just heard about this a cappella contest on TV called The Sing-Off. Guess it's been on for a while, but the groups are really good. This is on topic if we're talking about harmonies. Check out the video on this page. Talk about singing from the heart...

http://www.rickey.org/?p=54872
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:21 PM »

For some reason, that clip of Wilson Phillips sounded a lot better than the one that was posted in the earlier thread.  It definitely has a "cold" type of sound - partially the auto-tune obviously, and in part I think due to the fact that the double tracking was done artificially, which always sounds cold to me as well.

I can imagine them having some difficulty with the song (it's a bit more intricate than your typical 3-part harmony singing), but as others have said, it isn't that hard to figure out if you take the time to do it.  Unfortunately harmony singing like that is a rare thing these days.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »

That's the "Sonovox"! I've done a lot of research on that device, quite an awesome unit for it's day. The modern equivalent was the Vocoder, and the closest a Vocoder ever got to sounding as downright eerie as the Sonovox was probably Jeff Lynne when he used the first hi-tech Vocoder of it's kind on tunes like Sweet Talkin Woman. The Joe Walsh/Peter Frampton/Pete Drake Talk Box is a close cousin but not quite the same delivery, more primitive.

But the Sonovox - that's an awesome sound. If you listen to guitarist Alvino Rey, he was the first to do the "talking guitar" schtick, using a Sonovox and a (usually female) vocalist located behind the curtain. Way back in the 30's and 40's. And a gent named Kay Keyser featured many of his band instruments "talking" as Sparky The Piano talked on that Disney record from 1947 or '48.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »

Can be done...  Grin

Our Prayer

Major kudos to that group and their director/arranger! Proves that first you *can* stay true to the original arrangement and offer a compelling performance of the song. And second, unlike some of the current trends, you do NOT NEED A DAMNED BEAT BOX PERSON to be a good vocal group. Thank you and good night... Smiley

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:28 PM »

I don't know much about Autotuning, but can it be done when they sing live?

Yes, I'd say it can be done live with limitations on individual vocalists. The engineer can put the vocal track through AutoTune without the singer ever hearing it in their live monitor mix or feed, and that's actually the prime way to do it because if that singer hears their Auto-tuned live vocal feed it could throw their pitch off as they try to adjust to pitches they hear but may not be singing. The scandal most recently with AutoTune involved producers adding Auto-tune to performances already recorded on an Idol-type competition show, which they defended in the name of entertainment or something.

But yes, even the guy playing guitar at a solo acoustic pub gig if he has the right gear from Antares can Auto-Tune his vocals live in real time. How else could you do a cover of a Kanye West tune? Cheesy

absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »

The autotune has removed any character from the voices. I realise the Youtube stream isn't helping but my god...that sounds HORRIBLE.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 05:20:13 AM »

Also, they're singing "Haaaaaaa" instead of "Ahhhhhh." It's not choir-y and it bugs me.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »

Isn't "Our Prayer" a little too eerie to be on a Christmas album?

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07:08 AM »

Someone psoted a link to s snippet of their version of Our Prayer a month or so ago, it was auto-tuned to death and sounded cold and sterile.

Well, their version of "In my room" (with Brian) sounded sterile too. In fact they mostly sound soulless. They can harmonize but not sing with feeling, something the Beach Boys could very well, even when they were harmonizing. Haven't listened to "Our prayer" yet but I don't expect anything great

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »

Also, they're singing "Haaaaaaa" instead of "Ahhhhhh." It's not choir-y and it bugs me.

To be fair it's "haaaa" on the original too, it does help those phrases cut through when recording.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:09:51 AM »

The autotune has removed any character from the voices.

Would you apply this description to acts like T-Pain, Lady Gaga, Kanye, and nearly all modern top-40 and R&B music made in the past 5 years or so?

After hearing the clip, it's not like they're over-applying Auto-tune at all, in fact it's difficult to notice. I don't think auto-tune is the issue.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:12:52 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »

What an utterly insipid, shrill, not to mention shitty, version of Winter Wonderland.

Great version of Our Prayer.  Thanks for posting that.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »

I was a little skeptical about W-P's complaint about "not having Brian to show them the parts."  There's sheet music for the whole "Smile" album, I bought it in Colony Music for a souvenir.  Of course OP leads the book off.  All the parts are there and it's an easy transcription job.  Of course "Our Prayer" is in C# minor, like lots of Brian pieces, since as we know he likes to write on the black keys.

I bet the Huntington Beach group had the sheet music to work from, they seemed to have all the passing tones in the right places.

Maybe AGD or others know the source, but I distinctly recall one of the British university church choirs doing and maybe even recording a version of OP using the latin liturgical chant "Agnus Dei" as the lyric.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 03:09:43 PM »

now why couldn't have Carnie's show got canceled after these 'our prayer' recording sessions happen.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »

Would you apply this description to acts like T-Pain, Lady Gaga, Kanye, and nearly all modern top-40 and R&B music made in the past 5 years or so?
Nope. Those "singers" had no charactor to remove to begin with.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 07:42:15 AM »

Nope. Those "singers" had no charactor to remove to begin with.  Smiley

Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx