gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:38:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What concert would you most like to see officially released?  (Read 14381 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:09 PM »

Here is my list:

1. Hawaii 1967( both shows)

2. The soundboard tape of the show where they did Little Bird.

3. Carnage Hall 1971(or was that 1972?)

4. Heartford 1973

5. Nassau 1974

6. Any 1977 or 1978 show where Dennis did some POB songs.

7. Seattle 1977(well, maybe only some of the show.  Grin)

8. Perth 1978(just for the hell of it  Grin)

9. Nassau 1979

10. Springfield 1979

11. Japan 1979(just for Sumahama)

12. Philadelphia 1980

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »

Off the top of my head, the Whiskey Shows Brian did.

Is there a soundboard of this? I have one audience recording but thats it.

As far as I know only one Whiskey-show (audience recording) circulates, and BW wasn't present on that particular recording.
If you're lucky though, one can get hold the extended recording which includes the Flame portions as well. And I could be wrong but those are the only known live recordings of The Flame that circulate.

Yeah, I do have that one. With the Flame + Flame/Beach Boys encore. Thanks for the info.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »

Personally I'd like to hear just how good of a concert the show where the band opened for Elton John at Wembley Arena. I've read how great it was, and how once Elton hit the stage most of the audience left. But I also blame the fact that Elton was playing the entire CAPTAIN FANTASTIC AND THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY album for the first time. Maybe some of the shows that Chicago and the band did in 1975. Once again I read about them, but never heard how good the shows were.

Ted

There are some recordings of the Beachago tour. Off the top of my head everything I have from those shows are audience recordings; the professional recordings were apparently destroyed in the Caribou fire.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 12:06:27 AM »

What's up with the Hawaii '67? I've seen that commonly called "Leid In Hawaii", what's so special about it?
Also, I love In Concert, it sounds way better than any live boot I've heard, do you think there could be a better document of the '72-'74 touring period?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:17:36 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2010, 12:54:32 AM »

What's up with the Hawaii '67? I've seen that commonly called "Leid In Hawaii", what's so special about it?

I guess what made it special was that Brian performed as well. Bruce wasn't there though.

And at one of the shows the (only once played) Hawthorne Boulevard was played (an instrumental, not too special, but unique anyway)

O, and they actually did Gettin' Hungry live !

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:54 AM »

Also, the concert is just odd - Brian is playing his Baldwin organ (of Smiley Smile fame), which with no Bruce leaves Carl and Al to divvy up bass duties (and they're a little out of practice)... Also, because Denny seems to be playing his drums on a part-time basis, it's a very mellow affair. Or half-assed, depending on your mood. This isn't helped by the shrieking audience members, Mikes more-odd than usual stage patter and the general feeling that the band are getting quite nervy up there.....

Also, it's one of the first gigs they did after the collapse of Smile, and they had just recorded Smiley Smile i believe. So it's got historical value....

It's a shame they didn't record more of the 'new' arrangements of these tunes at Wally Heiders, or at least that they haven't been released/bootlegged. Some of the most wonderful recordings in the bands history.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 05:44:12 AM »

There are some recordings of the Beachago tour. Off the top of my head everything I have from those shows are audience recordings; the professional recordings were apparently destroyed in the Caribou fire.

What's the real story on this Caribou fire? 
Sounds like somebody made off with all the tapes, and then started the fire to cover their tracks( or lack therof)
Maybe Brian did it as Fire, Part 2?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 05:52:48 AM »

Personally I'd like to hear just how good of a concert the show where the band opened for Elton John at Wembley Arena. I've read how great it was, and how once Elton hit the stage most of the audience left. But I also blame the fact that Elton was playing the entire CAPTAIN FANTASTIC AND THE BROWN DIRT COWBOY album for the first time. Maybe some of the shows that Chicago and the band did in 1975. Once again I read about them, but never heard how good the shows were.

Ted

According to Guercio, no tapes were destroyed in the Caribou fire.  The fire was confined to the control room.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 05:53:45 AM »

If you had to pick only one Beach Boys concert to have the band officially release for purchase, what would it be?  Assume they would release the entire show, talking and everything.  Venue and date would be appreciated.

I haven't heard many live shows at all, but out of the ones I have heard, I'd say that my pick would be 1979-05-14 at the Nassau Coliseum on Long Island.

You asked for only one show but it seems that people really want more...

My Wish list...

1997 - Boston Harborlights, the last one where I saw Carl Wilson sing.  Or 1996, same venue, when he was in still pretty good shape.

1972 - Boston College

1971 - Boston Symphony Hall where David Marks (then a student at Berklee did a "cameo" with the Boys.

1967 - Back Bay Theater - either April or November.

Thanks for the "Wishlist poll!"  Wink

Tom Martin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »

One from each decade would be nice ... it would feature different players and vocalists.  
A "well-rounded" huge box set package of the touring Beach Boys band.

1. Chicago 1965 (or rehearsals in the studio)

2. Big Sur Folk Festival - 1970 full show ("Wouldn't it Be Nice" is a good teaser from the out-of-print Festival LP)

3. 1983 - Atlantic City - July 4 - (with Brian, Carl and Dennis)
(alternate 1989, any show - possibly including an encore with the band Chicago)

4. 1993 - Unplugged Tour - Any shows from that tour; Charlotte, NC (Ovens Auditorium) or Peekskill, NY (Paramount Theater)
(alternate 1996/1997, any show, perhaps the Country Music Fan Fest)

5. 2004 or 2008, Any show with a long set list (40 songs possibly)!

6. 2011 - Anniversary Show??? - by the time this "wish list" ever sees the light of day it will be WAYYYY past 2011! LOL!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:43:04 AM by Tom Martin » Logged
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 01:32:42 AM »

Also, the concert is just odd - Brian is playing his Baldwin organ (of Smiley Smile fame), which with no Bruce leaves Carl and Al to divvy up bass duties (and they're a little out of practice)... Also, because Denny seems to be playing his drums on a part-time basis, it's a very mellow affair. Or half-assed, depending on your mood. This isn't helped by the shrieking audience members, Mikes more-odd than usual stage patter and the general feeling that the band are getting quite nervy up there.....

Also, it's one of the first gigs they did after the collapse of Smile, and they had just recorded Smiley Smile i believe. So it's got historical value....

It's a shame they didn't record more of the 'new' arrangements of these tunes at Wally Heiders, or at least that they haven't been released/bootlegged. Some of the most wonderful recordings in the bands history.

I was always under the impression that the second concert was a 'live in the studio' with audience overdubs sort of thing. Considering how crazy the atmosphere, the sloppiness of the performance, and the fact that there's a version of "The Letter" without any audience overdubs. I also don't like how Brian's falsetto seems rather whiny on a few tracks. "Hawaii" and "Barbara Ann" mainly.
MBE
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »

I love the Hawaii 67 show myself in all of its roughness.
I think probably most shows through 1975 or 76 would be worth hearing. I suppose any of the shows Brian was at from 1961-73 would be fun. I also think any pre 1975 show where Dennis sings a lead would be cool. Post Beacago I would really only like to hear shows where Dennis sang anything but You Are So Beautiful. Nothing against the song but I've heard so many versions. After Dennis died I would like to really only have a fall 1993 show. The one I saw in Chicago might have been the first unplugged one. It was terrific and it doesn't circulate. Wish I had brought a recorder. They really do need to do a bootleg series ala Dylan.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:13 AM »

How about a 'themed' compilation of live tracks culled from various recorded shows?

I for one would love to hear a BB companion album to Brian's 'Presents Pet Sounds Live' release. Would such a release be possible or are there tracks from Pet Sounds that they never got to perform live?

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 03:26:07 AM »

How about a 'themed' compilation of live tracks culled from various recorded shows?

I for one would love to hear a BB companion album to Brian's 'Presents Pet Sounds Live' release. Would such a release be possible or are there tracks from Pet Sounds that they never got to perform live?

I do believe they never did the instrumentals or "That's Not Me". A couple more, but I'm not quite certain.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 04:25:44 AM »

Speaking of the Hawaii concert from 67-I have an interview with Brian from the Honolulu Advertiser from August 24 1967-when they were rehearsing. He says that they are planning on calling the album "Lei'd in Hawaii"-so it is straight from the horse's mouth-not some later name.  Also-while Brian played a lot of organ-if you listen to the show-it is clear that he is at the front of the stage-introducing songs on a bunch of numbers-and this is proven by taking a look at American Band-at the end of the God Only Knows segment there is a brief bit of extra footage from the shows that is seen-and Brian was clearly on bass for some numbers.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »

Speaking of the Hawaii concert from 67-I have an interview with Brian from the Honolulu Advertiser from August 24 1967-when they were rehearsing. He says that they are planning on calling the album "Lei'd in Hawaii"-so it is straight from the horse's mouth-not some later name.  Also-while Brian played a lot of organ-if you listen to the show-it is clear that he is at the front of the stage-introducing songs on a bunch of numbers-and this is proven by taking a look at American Band-at the end of the God Only Knows segment there is a brief bit of extra footage from the shows that is seen-and Brian was clearly on bass for some numbers.

I was referring to the second of the two Hawaii concerts. The one with "Hawthorne Blvd." as an opener. The first one was definitely a true concert, yes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 11:06:39 AM »

Typical of the unusual events surrounding Brian and the BB's in the summer of '67, they paid to ship that Baldwin organ from Brian's house to Hawaii, just for those two shows, and then shipped it back to his house, which was very expensive! They could have rented one in Hawaii, but Brian insisted it be *that* Smiley Smile organ for the live concert recordings. He loved the Baldwin at that time, and then within a year it had all but disappeared from his recordings.

Note Carl playing the Hofner violin bass, in true McCartney fashion. I believe this may be one of the only shows where that Hofner bass was played.

Those Hawaii shows are sloppy, but very compelling. I can't explain why, other than it's the only time Brian did a full show at that time, and there are some bizarre as well as poignant moments.

It's also fun to guess which members were tripping that day. Shocked

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »

A guilty pleasure could be a tape of one of these shows:

For historical value, and a few laughs.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 11:27:04 AM »

He looks so fucking sinister in that picture, looming over The Beach Boys like that...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:53 AM »

He looks so friggin' sinister in that picture, looming over The Beach Boys like that...

It seems they either enjoyed that kind of relationship, or needed a replacement since Brian wasn't available for the job in May 1968:

Smiley

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 01:05:54 PM »

Carnegie Hall.

Though I'd love to hear some more of the '67-'68 era.  A very odd and ill-documented period in the band's history, LIVE IN LONDON notwithstanding.
Paulos
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 01:41:53 PM »

A guilty pleasure could be a tape of one of these shows:

For historical value, and a few laughs.

Ah, the well known stupidest-idea-for-a-tour-ever!

The Maharashi does look sinister on that poster, kind of looks a bit like Charlie.... Evil
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »

If I saw that comming in a dark alley I'd fill my pants.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 08:36:10 PM »

1. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one picture of Al playing the Hofner bass

2. I'm not sure which is worse: The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Accompanied by his devotees The Beach Boys, or John Stamos featuring The Beach Boys.  Roll Eyes

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 09:54:04 PM »

Typical of the unusual events surrounding Brian and the BB's in the summer of '67, they paid to ship that Baldwin organ from Brian's house to Hawaii, just for those two shows, and then shipped it back to his house, which was very expensive! They could have rented one in Hawaii, but Brian insisted it be *that* Smiley Smile organ for the live concert recordings. He loved the Baldwin at that time, and then within a year it had all but disappeared from his recordings.

Note Carl playing the Hofner violin bass, in true McCartney fashion. I believe this may be one of the only shows where that Hofner bass was played.

Those Hawaii shows are sloppy, but very compelling. I can't explain why, other than it's the only time Brian did a full show at that time, and there are some bizarre as well as poignant moments.

It's also fun to guess which members were tripping that day. Shocked

The Wilsons were tripping in unison...the other two declined.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx