gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:45:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What concert would you most like to see officially released?  (Read 14349 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2010, 10:00:34 PM »

The Wilsons were tripping in unison...the other two declined.

Tripping here - peaking at the falls...
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »

"The Wilsons were tripping in unison...the other two declined."

Hence Bruce's 'fishing trip'...?
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 01:21:25 AM »

Typical of the unusual events surrounding Brian and the BB's in the summer of '67, they paid to ship that Baldwin organ from Brian's house to Hawaii, just for those two shows, and then shipped it back to his house, which was very expensive! They could have rented one in Hawaii, but Brian insisted it be *that* Smiley Smile organ for the live concert recordings. He loved the Baldwin at that time, and then within a year it had all but disappeared from his recordings.

Note Carl playing the Hofner violin bass, in true McCartney fashion. I believe this may be one of the only shows where that Hofner bass was played.

Those Hawaii shows are sloppy, but very compelling. I can't explain why, other than it's the only time Brian did a full show at that time, and there are some bizarre as well as poignant moments.

It's also fun to guess which members were tripping that day. Shocked

The Wilsons were tripping in unison...the other two declined.

Sounds about normal
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 03:51:02 AM »

Just looked at that photo from Hawaii. Anyone else a bit baffled that as the hippy movement was just kicking into high gear, all of the Wilson Brothers got their hair cut short?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 04:48:46 AM »

Just looked at that photo from Hawaii. Anyone else a bit baffled that as the hippy movement was just kicking into high gear, all of the Wilson Brothers got their hair cut short?
Dennis certainly, can't see it in his brother's hairstyles though.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 04:52:51 AM »

1. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one picture of Al playing the Hofner bass

Not strictly in concert but there are photos of Bruce sporting a Höfner bass during rehearsals in England circa 1966 in LLVS.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 04:56:59 AM »

But they couldn't have had it cut long... don't think the BBs were into the hippy movement. Some of their music had touches of it but the boys themselves were always pretty clean-cut really. Just as they'd been raised to be. even their early 70s grunge stuff was never oily...

“We live in divisive times.”
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:53 AM »

Not strictly in concert but there are photos of Bruce sporting a Höfner bass during rehearsals in England circa 1966 in LLVS.

I might not have seen the rehearsal photos you're referring to, but I do know of a few rehearsal shots (and maybe concert shots too) of both Bruce and Carl playing an Eko violin-shaped bass similar to this one:

You can spot the Eko from the little wooden piece on top of the headstock, and the pickups as well.

I honestly don't know why they'd choose an Eko over the Fender P-Bass which was their main bass axe no matter who was playing bass at the time: Brian, Bruce, Glen, or even Al. The Eko was a second-rate Italian-made bass that really didn't play well or sound particularly good, yet Eko was a major advertiser in the late 60's and had endorsements from bands like The Grass Roots.

The band missed Bruce at the Hawaii shows, and I'd say they also missed having Dennis play something other than his snare drum for most of the show...sparse and laid-back is cool, but they were one step away from an a capella show in Hawaii that weekend.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 09:02:16 AM »

He loved the Baldwin at that time, and then within a year it had all but disappeared from his recordings.

Didn't they use the Baldwin organ on Wild Honey too? What album(s) was the "tack piano" used on? Two different ones, right?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:59 AM »

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »

That is the Eko bass Bruce is playing in that photo, it looks like it comes from the same series as the other shots where Bruce and Carl are holding that bass.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »

He loved the Baldwin at that time, and then within a year it had all but disappeared from his recordings.

Didn't they use the Baldwin organ on Wild Honey too? What album(s) was the "tack piano" used on? Two different ones, right?

That famous tack piano Brian also loved at that time was mostly heard on Smiley Smile and Wild Honey, although I think it also popped up on a few Friends tracks if I remember. The Baldwin also was Brian's favorite and was heard more obviously on Smiley Smile than Wild Honey, but it's there too...and those albums were recorded from summer to December of '67, also including the Hawaii shows where it survived the hazards of shipping to play the shows. Then, apart from maybe a few parts on Friends, that Baldwin all but disappeared after being something of a "signature sound" for Brian in the latter half of '67.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

Guitarfool2002.  Another board member here who knows his poo.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2010, 10:12:01 AM »

Having trouble hearing the Princeton 11-13-1971 Surf's Up show.  Can someone please P Me?  Thanks!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »

I might not have seen the rehearsal photos you're referring to, but I do know of a few rehearsal shots (and maybe concert shots too) of both Bruce and Carl playing an Eko violin-shaped bass similar to this one:

You can spot the Eko from the little wooden piece on top of the headstock, and the pickups as well.

I honestly don't know why they'd choose an Eko over the Fender P-Bass which was their main bass axe no matter who was playing bass at the time: Brian, Bruce, Glen, or even Al. The Eko was a second-rate Italian-made bass that really didn't play well or sound particularly good, yet Eko was a major advertiser in the late 60's and had endorsements from bands like The Grass Roots.

The band missed Bruce at the Hawaii shows, and I'd say they also missed having Dennis play something other than his snare drum for most of the show...sparse and laid-back is cool, but they were one step away from an a capella show in Hawaii that weekend.

the EKO is a quality instrument ... i used one of these for bass parts on an album my band did a couple years ago, it sounds real good.  the sound is different from a P-bass, more upright-like and percussive.  quite different from a hofner or fender P.

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »

Speaking of the Hawaii concert from 67-I have an interview with Brian from the Honolulu Advertiser from August 24 1967-when they were rehearsing. He says that they are planning on calling the album "Lei'd in Hawaii"-so it is straight from the horse's mouth-not some later name.  Also-while Brian played a lot of organ-if you listen to the show-it is clear that he is at the front of the stage-introducing songs on a bunch of numbers-and this is proven by taking a look at American Band-at the end of the God Only Knows segment there is a brief bit of extra footage from the shows that is seen-and Brian was clearly on bass for some numbers.

There´s a picture in Leaf´s "California Myth" (page 123) that shows Brian playing bass (Hofner).
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »

the EKO is a quality instrument ... i used one of these for bass parts on an album my band did a couple years ago, it sounds real good.  the sound is different from a P-bass, more upright-like and percussive.  quite different from a hofner or fender P.

That's cool you had a chance to play an Eko - it's not something you see turn up at the vintage shows or shops all too often, even though I have a few old guitar magazines with full page ads for Eko, circa 1967, so they were a prominent brand. I was a bit harsh on my description of the Eko, because a lot of those opinions like mine on the Eko are subjective and based on experiences shared. Based on my own experiences, I'd rate both the Mosrite Ventures model guitar and the Rickenbacker 12-string pretty low on the playability and quality scale, because the examples I played weren't too good, actually I've never held a 12-string Rickenbacker that played well and stayed in tune. But obviously they carry a reputation and so many swear by them, maybe i just had the worst of the brand. And the 12-string Rick is still high on my dream list! I also had a chance to play a mid-60's original Hofner violin bass before the prices went crazy, and apart from the fact it felt like really light wood and the neck felt unusual and a bit flimsy/cheap overall, as soon as I plugged it in I got the total Paul McCartney vibe and that thumpy tone from the early Beatles tracks. There is a certain mojo to some instruments! I'd play a Hofner anytime for that reason alone. I'd like to road test an Eko bass as well, if one ever turns up around this area.

Wonder if Bruce still has that bass somewhere...

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

ha, yeh i owned the Eko for a year or so and then sold it off.  i know what you mean about the hofners ... nothing beats them in many ways, very light and they have that sound!  Ric 12s are cool, our guitar player has one and it plays and sounds nice.  i myself have a 65 fender electric xii, which i much prefer for sound and playability.  keeping with the beach boys instrument vibe, i also have an RMI rocksichord, maestro rhythm king, bass harmonica, leslie speaker, etc!  mainly a '60s-'70s setup.  when i am in doubt, i use the benchmark "did the beach boys use it?"

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »

I guess the only tracks I've heard from the actual live shows in Hawaii 67' are the bonus tracks on the "Live In London" 2-fer (H&V and...was it Surfer Girl?).  I have heard what I thought were the rehearsal tapes, but maybe they were the recordings made afterwards.  Love the mellow vibe and Smiley organ.  

Potentially, I imagine this lack of access to the live tracks could be most upsetting to a less well-balanced BBs fanatic than myself.  

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:15:46 PM by Menace Wilson » Logged

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2010, 12:50:11 PM »

Regarding the "Darlin'" picture sleeve above. Bruce is holding the bass in the middle, with Carl standing on the right with his hand up. Is that Al bending over on the far left and Dennis standing on the far right? And who is Bruce looking at sitting down, Brian? And who's sitting down in the foreground? I don't have the sleeve myself, and haven't seen the picture before. 

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »

And who's sitting down in the foreground?

Could be wrong but looks to me like Derek Taylor  Undecided

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »

When looking through this thread I was remindedof another one I started a few years ago, hoping we could compile a list of Beach Boys-concerts that were proffessionaly filmed. Maybe someone here is interested in (re-)visiting that thread and maybe add some more infos. Didn't get too far back then
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6290.0.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »

When I was over at Alan Boyd's a year or two ago, I heard some very cool live stuff he and Mark had transferred over from the '68 era...a live "Little Bird" that was excellent, a live "How She Boogalooed It" that was pretty shaky but fascinating.  There's also some of the stuff from TV like Dennis doing "Never Learn Not To Love" with Carl on drums.  One can hope that stuff gets out eventually.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2010, 11:35:30 PM »

When I was over at Alan Boyd's a year or two ago, I heard some very cool live stuff he and Mark had transferred over from the '68 era...a live "Little Bird" that was excellent, a live "How She Boogalooed It" that was pretty shaky but fascinating.  There's also some of the stuff from TV like Dennis doing "Never Learn Not To Love" with Carl on drums.  One can hope that stuff gets out eventually.

Yeah, hopefully Beach Boys Central will finally become active for the big 50th anniversary!  It's been 42 years since I heard Dennis sing Little Bird live at at Beach Boys concert, and I'm more than ready to spend some more $ to hear a recording of it live in concert again.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

There's also some of the stuff from TV like Dennis doing "Never Learn Not To Love" with Carl on drums.  One can hope that stuff gets out eventually.

Technically those performances are "available", just not on an official release! The video clips you're referring to were from "The Mike Douglas Show" in 1969, and there are appearances with Carl taking over for Dennis on drums as he sings lead on "Celebrate The News" and "Never Learn Not To Love", don't actually feature Carl playing the drums. They're singing a live vocal over the original instrumental backing tracks. Technically it's not "lip synching", but Carl is only going through the motions of playing the drums, as are Al and Bruce on their instruments.

It's interesting that they have not been released officially, because a few years ago the archives of "The Mike Douglas Show" were made available for purchase and licensing to re-broadcast. Unlike Carson and others, a lot of Mike Douglas' shows were saved on tape, and if a syndicated show or news program wanted to find a clip of someone on the show like the BB's in 1969, they'd be able to "buy" that segment from whoever was minding the Douglas archives.

Which probably means the Beach Boys organization, if they wanted an official release, could have had high quality clips of those performances available to use direct from the tapes in those Mike Douglas Show archives, if all the legal details fell into place. The clips you see of those appearances now are either low quality or have the timing strip running over the video.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx