gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:28:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The legendary Labor Day weekend, 1961  (Read 35662 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »

he's playing a Strat in that photo and he had a rented Ricky (see above post) for the first several shows so the BABC couldn't have been his 1st show.

I know I've asked the same thing above, but are there any photos of David with the Rickenbacker or any additional information on the model he was playing?

I'm a guitar geek, I thrive on this stuff... Smiley

Might as well ask for pics of the group with Al playing, pre-David. There just aren't any.
Tho, one has to wonder if maybe Audree's scrapbook might not contain some pictures, wherever it's gotten to. 
At that point in time the BBs weren't a major news item, so to speak.

How about Marks family photos for reference or even a personal recollection, not that I want a first-generation copy of a photo but just to find out what kind of Rickenbacker guitar he was playing.

I'm thinking if any such existed, they'd have been in David's book.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »

There are no photos of David playing the Rickenbacker, unfortunately.  There's a picture of him playing his 1st guitar in the Lost Beach Boy, a Sears Silvertone, that he played on Your Summer Dream.  More recently, I found a photo of him playing a Carvin, which was his 1st electric guitar that he bought from John Maus.

As for pre-David photos, years ago Al told me there was an official band photo taken around the time of Surfin' (and they were wearing sweaters) but he didn't know where his copy was. Now, whether or not this photo was actually taken prior to David or whether he's remembering the first photo shoot w/out David in late '63 remains to be seen...but I wouldn't be surprised if a late '61 BB photo shows up one day.  Maybe in the same place as the missing session logs and tapes from the SG & LDC LPs?

edit:  David said he doesn't remember the model of the rented Rickenbacker...just that it was solid body, small and was blonde-to-red sunburst.  Don't know if that helps you narrow it down to a particular guitar or not?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:05:49 AM by Carrie Marks » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »

There are no photos of David playing the Rickenbacker, unfortunately.  There's a picture of him playing his 1st guitar in the Lost Beach Boy, a Sears Silvertone, that he played on Your Summer Dream.  More recently, I found a photo of him playing a Carvin, which was his 1st electric guitar that he bought from John Maus.

As for pre-David photos, years ago Al told me there was an official band photo taken around the time of Surfin' (and they were wearing sweaters) but he didn't know where his copy was. Now, whether or not this photo was actually taken prior to David or whether he's remembering the first photo shoot w/out David in late '63 remains to be seen...but I wouldn't be surprised if a late '61 BB photo shows up one day.  Maybe in the same place as the missing session logs and tapes from the SG & LDC LPs?

Carrie: you should just take that box out of the "secret hiding place" and open it now.

Edit:
Thinking a bit about it from a collector's viewpoint: 
Owning a record/tape/ gold record award/ Brian's bowling shoes/  is something I could look at and think, at least to some extent, I OWN this, and it's mine to share a copy.
If I had a photo(s) like that( I don't) and I shared it, what keeps someone from having the same photo? ( in this digital age) maybe even goiing to some length to duplicate the aging paper to simulate it being the original.  And in collecting, that's important.
 Just thinking  there may be a collector somewhere who owns one (or more) of these photos and doesn't feel the "need" to share; owning them is the satisfaction. That the only way they'll ever appear is on their passing...
 OR: there are fans that took pictures at the time, forgot about them, and don't have a glimmer how important they would be to people here
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:34:46 AM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2011, 05:45:22 AM »

During the course of looking for something else entirely, I came across this quote from Murry:

"I gave the boys enough money for food while I went away on a three-week business trip. When I came back, they'd spent the cash on electronic equipment"

Now, $300 for three weeks makes a lot more sense than for three days, and it's a long business trip, not taking friends to Acapulco for a long weekend. Three weeks in the USA... or a trip to Europe, and England to see the people at Binns & Berry ?  Looks like JoAnne could be right.

Question - has anyone here ever seen a quote from Murry - not anyone else - saying he took anyone to Mexico City in summer 1961 ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:51:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2011, 06:27:36 AM »

Perhaps Murry had an affair with Jo Ann? She used to sit between Murry and Audree in his car, remember? Perhaps Murry and Jo Ann went to England together? Perhaps he gave the boys (because someone found out about the affair) that money to "shut up or else..." He was a violent man and the boys were afraid of him. And after all, this was 1961 and you wouldn't want people to learn about such affairs... Just a thought...

/B
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2011, 08:39:07 AM »

Perhaps Murry had an affair with Jo Ann? She used to sit between Murry and Audree in his car, remember? Perhaps Murry and Jo Ann went to England together? Perhaps he gave the boys (because someone found out about the affair) that money to "shut up or else..." He was a violent man and the boys were afraid of him. And after all, this was 1961 and you wouldn't want people to learn about such affairs... Just a thought...

/B
Is this a joke? Hard to tell because its so entirely not funny. Jo Ann hated Murry. She hid from him so as not to have to see him.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »

I think some ambitious person should organize all of these quotes [not paraphrases] by person by trip location in chronological order of when they were stated. Just a suggestion [for someone else to do ;-)].

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »

Just to clear up a thing or two asked earlier in the thread.  The Dec 21 1963 app in Sacramento that was taped for the Concert LP (and combined with the Aug 1 1964 show to make the finished album) was Brian's first app in Sacramento.  The BBs did an interview for The Sacramento Union prior to the show in which they noted that the Dec app would be Brian's first in Sacramento-because he had busy with recordings on their two previous trips there.  So to answer an earlier question there is proof that he was not at the Sept 14 1963 app.   That being said-Bgas never answered where the proof was that the photo is from 9/28/63 Cow Palace with Dee Dee Sharp.  That would be news-since I believe DM recalled Brian being at those big shows in late Sept 63.  Maybe that photo is really from June 63-when we know that the BBs did a Hawaiian tour with Al in place of Brian.
-Also wanted to throw out there this tidbit:  In a Nov 1964 Disc & Music Echo interview-while staying at the Hilton in London-Carl notes that HIS PARENTS HAD BEEN TO ENGLAND BEFORE AND TOLD HIM TO VISIT A BUNCH OF SIGHTS IF HE HAD TIME.  Now this doesn't mean that their visit was in Sept 61 but it is interesting to note that the Wilsons had been in the UK once without their kids.  Hard to imagine that they could have left the kids alone much earlier than 1961-without children's welfare agencies getting involved.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »

I think some ambitious person should organize all of these quotes [not paraphrases] by person by trip location in chronological order of when they were stated. Just a suggestion [for someone else to do ;-)].

Great idea...I myself am up to my ears with other things at the moment, but I think it's a good idea for someone here to take on that assignment.  Be sure to include the Carl quote that Ian mentions above, about his parents have been to England before.  Also the Dennis radio interview from late '77 where he says the band began when his folks went to Europe.  Now that AGD has uncovered Murry's quote referencing a three-week trip, I think we can be more certain than ever that it was a three-week trip to England/Europe, and that the Mexico City jaunt, if it actually happened, was a different trip (possibly around the same time, which is why it sticks out in the memories of some of the principals).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »

Just to clear up a thing or two asked earlier in the thread.  The Dec 21 1963 app in Sacramento that was taped for the Concert LP (and combined with the Aug 1 1964 show to make the finished album) was Brian's first app in Sacramento.  The BBs did an interview for The Sacramento Union prior to the show in which they noted that the Dec app would be Brian's first in Sacramento-because he had busy with recordings on their two previous trips there.  So to answer an earlier question there is proof that he was not at the Sept 14 1963 app.   That being said-Bgas never answered where the proof was that the photo is from 9/28/63 Cow Palace with Dee Dee Sharp.  That would be news-since I believe DM recalled Brian being at those big shows in late Sept 63.  Maybe that photo is really from June 63-when we know that the BBs did a Hawaiian tour with Al in place of Brian.
-Also wanted to throw out there this tidbit:  In a Nov 1964 Disc & Music Echo interview-while staying at the Hilton in London-Carl notes that HIS PARENTS HAD BEEN TO ENGLAND BEFORE AND TOLD HIM TO VISIT A BUNCH OF SIGHTS IF HE HAD TIME.  Now this doesn't mean that their visit was in Sept 61 but it is interesting to note that the Wilsons had been in the UK once without their kids.  Hard to imagine that they could have left the kids alone much earlier than 1961-without children's welfare agencies getting involved.

Murry was definitely in Sweden in 1962 on a promo visit. Also, in late 1961, Brian was 19.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:19:26 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »

I believe DM recalled Brian being at those big shows in late Sept 63. 

This is a case where David's memories were slotted into what we knew to be true at the time.  His memory includes being in San Francisco at a pre-show dinner with a bunch of  TV & movie stars and Brian chugged and entire bottle of champagne and then threw up on stage during the first song.  He also remembers playing the Cow Palace.  You take a SF memory w/ Brian and a known date at the Cow Palace and assumptions were made.

However, Bgas has a program from a fund raiser in San Francisco that has all the same stars David remembers being at the pre-show dinner, so its quite likely his memory w/ Brian was on this date, not the Cow Palace.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx