gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:49:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cottonfields / Cotton Fields - BW and AJ version  (Read 15845 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »

Agreed. I also prefer Al's version any day of the week.

While we're at the subject of Cottonfields, why isn't Al credited on the label for writing additional lyrics for it? I mean, Mike is credited for Student Demonstration Time and also for adding a verse to Under the Boardwalk.

Probably b/c Al didn't deem it necessary to file his name for cowriter status, whereas Mike did in those two examples.  Years later, though, Al did with "Don't Fight The Sea". 
But why wouldn't he? That would've given him royalties, right? A world wide hit that is still being played live today must have generated some money over the years, surely?

Well, he probably didn't think he could, until years later, when Mike did it. 

Mike wrote entirely new lyrics for A Young Man Is Gone but doesn't seem to be credtied with co-writer status along with Bobby Troup, not according to the credits in the 2-fer anyway.

Maybe Al thought that not giving himself any writing credit for Cotton Fields gave him the right to not give any co-credit whatsoever For Looking At Tomorrow.......

Don't you mean "At My Window"?  Or am I missing something...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »

Agreed. I also prefer Al's version any day of the week.

While we're at the subject of Cottonfields, why isn't Al credited on the label for writing additional lyrics for it? I mean, Mike is credited for Student Demonstration Time and also for adding a verse to Under the Boardwalk.

Probably b/c Al didn't deem it necessary to file his name for cowriter status, whereas Mike did in those two examples.  Years later, though, Al did with "Don't Fight The Sea". 
But why wouldn't he? That would've given him royalties, right? A world wide hit that is still being played live today must have generated some money over the years, surely?

Well, he probably didn't think he could, until years later, when Mike did it. 

Mike wrote entirely new lyrics for A Young Man Is Gone but doesn't seem to be credtied with co-writer status along with Bobby Troup, not according to the credits in the 2-fer anyway.

Maybe Al thought that not giving himself any writing credit for Cotton Fields gave him the right to not give any co-credit whatsoever For Looking At Tomorrow.......

Don't you mean "At My Window"?  Or am I missing something...

Yeah, you must have missed this:

one more very evident example for "using" someone else´s song:

- Lookin´ At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song): The Wanderer (by the Kingston Trio)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »

Great thread!  A few thoughts:

1.  Al's version is one of my top 20 BB tracks ever.  Phenomenal track.

2.  I love that Dennis played drums on the Al version.  He did a great job.

3.  I'm not convinced it is Brian at about 2:00.  I think he is in the mix just before that, but the the vocal fill that sounds like Brian is actually Carl to my ears.

4.  I really think the dit-dit-doo at about 2:18 is Brian, though.

5.  I think Brian definitely is on the track and his voice adds a lot.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »

Is that really Dennis playing the great drums on that track?

I hate when I think something's Dennis only to find out it isn't  Undecided
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »

Is that really Dennis playing the great drums on that track?

I hate when I think something's Dennis only to find out it isn't  Undecided

Well, as far as we can tell...like I said, there's no drummer listed on the AFM contract...I suppose it could be Frank Capp, but there's definitely percussion on there (tambourine, if I recall right), and besides, the drums just SOUND like Denny.  Maybe one day the session tape can be analyzed. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »

Yes, they do sound very Denny!

I seem to remember there being a fairly detailed description of the track in the "Rarities" liner notes, and I seem to recall being disappointed that it wasn't Dennis on drums.

I hope I'm wrong  Huh

Stebbins?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 06:14:09 PM »

Count me in on the Brian camp for this one - I think the 20/20 version blows away Al's later remake.  Al's is busy and a little sloppy, although it has more superficial "energy" as he picked the pace up on the song.  But Brian's is beautiful, benefits from having more "space" in the music, and reminds me more of early Americana music than the "rocked up" Al version - and I feel that is exactly what Brian was going for (he was recording Old Folks At Home/Old Man River at this time as well).  I don't see Brian's version as a single though - so I guess Al was right to redo it as it was a hit in Europe.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 07:00:58 PM »

I'm in the Brian camp too, as far as the arrangement goes! I just think the mix is a bit tentative and flat. The drums are doing all kinds of cool things, but they're just sitting there in the background..... along with most of the rest of it.

Still: a beautiful arrangement.

Al's version though, just ....... kicks in an awesome way!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:14 AM »

3.  I'm not convinced it is Brian at about 2:00.  I think he is in the mix just before that, but the the vocal fill that sounds like Brian is actually Carl to my ears.

I think 2:00 and 2:18 are the same guy. Same place in mix, and although 2:18 sounds more idiosyncratic Brian I'd say 2:00 is him as well.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »

I think 2:00 and 2:18 are the same guy. Same place in mix, and although 2:18 sounds more idiosyncratic Brian I'd say 2:00 is him as well.

I say at 2:00, that's Al doing the falsetto(think how he sounds on Be Here in the Morning).  At 2:18, (dit-dit-doo) definitely brian.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »

Yes, they do sound very Denny!

I seem to remember there being a fairly detailed description of the track in the "Rarities" liner notes, and I seem to recall being disappointed that it wasn't Dennis on drums.

I hope I'm wrong  Huh

Stebbins?

Hmm, well unless you're talking about the Japanese liner notes for the CD reissue...I checked the original 1981 Australian "Rarities" LP, the more common 1983 U.S. "Rarities" LP, the "Friends"/"20/20" twofer CD, and the 1993 box set, all of which either contain the single version of "Cottonfields" or mention it, and none of them provide the description you refer to.  But, I don't read Japanese, so who knows...
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »

>
one more very evident example for "using" someone else´s song:

- Lookin´ At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song): The Wanderer (by the Kingston Trio)

Never heard this before, but by jiminy, he's right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1poFkCG2NE
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »

> one more very evident example for "using" someone else´s song:
> - Lookin´ At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song): The Wanderer (by the Kingston Trio)

Never heard this before, but by jiminy, he's right

The question arises ... why didn't Al credit the writer of the Trio's "The Wanderer"?

From the information provided with the YouTube video of "The Wanderer":

The song is a reworking by Irving Burgie of the American folk tune "900 Miles." Burgie is best known as "The Father of Modern Calypso," having written 34 songs recorded by Harry Belafonte, including eight of the eleven on Belafonte's landmark "Calypso" album of 1956, the first album ever to sell a certified million copies. "Day-O [The Banana Boat Song]" and "Jamaica Farewell" are probably the most enduring of Burgie's songs; he also wrote several other songs for the Kingston Trio besides "The Wanderer."

So, did Al adapt "The Wanderer" or the original folk tune, "900 Miles"?

Here's Bert Jansch doing a traditional folk version of "900 Miles":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VhmT6vOZRc

And here's the best known version of "900 Miles," as recorded by Billy Merman in 1949:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRZizbzzIPE

Of course, if Al adapted "900 Miles" to "Lookin' At Tomorrow," he has as much right to put his name down as the songwriter as Burgie did for "The Wanderer."
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »

I say at 2:00, that's Al doing the falsetto(think how he sounds on Be Here in the Morning).  At 2:18, (dit-dit-doo) definitely brian.

I can believe it's Al at 2:00.  I think you may be right.  I just feel sure it is not Brian, even though it does sound a lot like him.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 10:56:17 AM »

Jeez, maybe someone should sue Al...    Roll Eyes
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »

Jeez, maybe someone should sue Al...    Roll Eyes

I believe BRI did just that, tho they claimed it was for other causes...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx