gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:42:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIKI EDITORS' The Beach Boys Complete History  (Read 11408 times)
MBE
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 07:14:01 AM »

Finished the book. It mentions the board here a few times and I noticed that some of the tweeking I did to various entries are included. It's not nearly as good a source as say Andrew's site but it does get a lot of info together. 7/10
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »

Finished the book. It mentions the board here a few times and I noticed that some of the tweeking I did to various entries are included. It's not nearly as good a source as say Andrew's site but it does get a lot of info together. 7/10
What kind of pictures are in the book?
just pics of the album covers?
Does it mention alternative albums like New album in the Love You entry and Add Some Music in the Sunflower section?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:12 AM »

“This purported self-appointed "expert" is actually a real buddy-friend of someone (used car dealer-writer) that Brian Wilson recently sued for stealing/purloining masters (Brad Elliott, and no, never 'a real buddy-friend')... this current phony posting on one board or more is posing as an "expert" on the Beach Boys' stuff who lives in England and is a bully to a lot of fans, setting himself up as some sort of "god" to history.... another one of those. Haha, never ceases to amaze me about these types of guys living on their lies and subterfuge of posing as a guru of information that is totally false but is obsessed to pretend to be a vip... this is a bachelor baby-boomer who was in knee-pants when we were recording - lives with his elderly mother who takes care of him etc (I think that anyone who stoops to low blows like that is more deserving of our pity than our censure)... I think some are getting wise to this poor guy tho', how badly he needs help.....we've got some like that over here in the USA too, the Internet helps them set up with their pure lies so they can "enchant" the masses for awhile (true - I completely invented this so-called band, The Beach Boys: actually, they don't exist)...and it's not good for people like Brian to have these types mislead people either.... They are really self-delusional guys who eventually get laughed at -- hard to believe that people actually do fall for their lies tho' for awhile, but that's because not much is known about our studio work...... more books are on the way to the printer soon (Wapensky's book was cancelled in 2003 - very sad about that). And there's a lot of films in the can wending their way on the air.... Yes, he just can't stand to be "corrected" -- yet (and most are finding this out too) he makes outlandish claims which are all lies all the time ("makes outlandish claims which are all lies all the time" - two words, Carol: James Jamerson) .... just a really bad guy imo. And yes he does have a website....this kind of person is harming the fan-club of Brian Wilson's...is the buddy of a person who Brian sued, and little by little he's being found out but does tend to bully whomever on BW and BB sites. Believe me, join the crowd of people who he attacks, I guess the truth is very threatening to him...like another fellow I know (hmmm.....probably more of them out there on the internet too). So easy to fool people on the internet which takes time to ferret out if it's lies or truth...I think he's really on his way out now tho'. Sad case (merda, I've been on my way out for ten years... guess I need to speed up some)"

I've lost all respect for Carol Kaye after this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:36:07 AM by RollPlymouthRock » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »

“This purported self-appointed "expert" is actually a real buddy-friend of someone (used car dealer-writer) that Brian Wilson recently sued for stealing/purloining masters (Brad Elliott, and no, never 'a real buddy-friend')... this current phony posting on one board or more is posing as an "expert" on the Beach Boys' stuff who lives in England and is a bully to a lot of fans, setting himself up as some sort of "god" to history.... another one of those. Haha, never ceases to amaze me about these types of guys living on their lies and subterfuge of posing as a guru of information that is totally false but is obsessed to pretend to be a vip... this is a bachelor baby-boomer who was in knee-pants when we were recording - lives with his elderly mother who takes care of him etc (I think that anyone who stoops to low blows like that is more deserving of our pity than our censure)... I think some are getting wise to this poor guy tho', how badly he needs help.....we've got some like that over here in the USA too, the Internet helps them set up with their pure lies so they can "enchant" the masses for awhile (true - I completely invented this so-called band, The Beach Boys: actually, they don't exist)...and it's not good for people like Brian to have these types mislead people either.... They are really self-delusional guys who eventually get laughed at -- hard to believe that people actually do fall for their lies tho' for awhile, but that's because not much is known about our studio work...... more books are on the way to the printer soon (Wapensky's book was cancelled in 2003 - very sad about that). And there's a lot of films in the can wending their way on the air.... Yes, he just can't stand to be "corrected" -- yet (and most are finding this out too) he makes outlandish claims which are all lies all the time ("makes outlandish claims which are all lies all the time" - two words, Carol: James Jamerson) .... just a really bad guy imo. And yes he does have a website....this kind of person is harming the fan-club of Brian Wilson's...is the buddy of a person who Brian sued, and little by little he's being found out but does tend to bully whomever on BW and BB sites. Believe me, join the crowd of people who he attacks, I guess the truth is very threatening to him...like another fellow I know (hmmm.....probably more of them out there on the internet too). So easy to fool people on the internet which takes time to ferret out if it's lies or truth...I think he's really on his way out now tho'. Sad case (merda, I've been on my way out for ten years... guess I need to speed up some)"

AGD, if you don't mind my asking, what on earth did you do to PO Carol so much?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »

AGD, if you don't mind my asking, what on earth did you do to PO Carol so much?

This - back when the Bloo really was blue, she was a regular visitor, and generally an all-round OK poster. Then, someone asked her which instrument Ray Pohlman played on a specific Pet Sounds track, and she said that he wasn't on that session. Which surprised a few people, yours truly included, as not only does the AFM sheet and the box set booklet credit him, but on the relevant session extract you can clearly hear Brian calling him Ray. So, a few of us quite politely questioned what she said, and she just went off on one, the basic gist being "I was there, you weren't, how dare you question me". Maybe I should have left it at that... but that's not me, so I pointed out the facts as stated above. Which was when she accused me of stealing AFM sheets, and said she'd get her friend Russ Wapensky to go through his research and he'd prove I was wrong. I pointed out that there was no need for him to do that as he'd merely be quoting from the same AFM sheet that I was, which would actually prove me right, and suggested, again politely, that she listen to the session extract and hear Brian call Ray by name. And that was when she flounced off and proceeded to make the sort of comments you've seen on her website forum - from which I was barred, of course, as was anyone who spoke up for me. She also sent me several very insulting and unpleasant emails, even after I'd asked her to stop, so I had to put a block on her.

I have nothing but respect for her musical ability and achievements, but as a person I have no time for her, because (aside from what she's said about me) I have no time for anyone who lays claim to the work of another as theirs. This isn't widely known, but in 2000 she brought a case in Chicago against people who stated in print and on the 'net that she had nothing to do with the MoTown tracks she claimed to play bass on (notably Alan Slutsky). The judge threw her case out in pre-trial, telling her that on the basis of the evidence she'd provided, she didn't have a leg to stand on.

As an aside, I feel there must have also been some kind of falling out with Brian's camp as well, as if you try to make a post on the Bloo using her name, it won't be accepted.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

I have nothing but respect for her musical ability and achievements, but as a person I have no time for her....

This is what I was going to say. Her musical talents are(were?) incredible. Unfortunately, she seems to have fallen prey to dementia.
If she could have just shut her yap, her legacy would be a good one.
Now, I think it will always be there with an asterisk.   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MBE
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »

Does it mention alternative albums like New album in the Love You entry and Add Some Music in the Sunflower section?
Yes it does metion the unreleased LP's. It also does have a few photos but mostly record covers.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 09:44:02 AM »

Thanks AGD but don't you know a woman is always right even when she's wrong!  LOL

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »

I can only hope everything will be edited by AGD by the time the print of the book is delivered to me.  Grin

If only there was a perfect Beach Boys literature with no mistakes....except mr. Doe's book.  Smiley

Wait, you mean all of them perfect in every way except AGD's?
Why does he get a pass?

I don't think there's any mistakes in his book...as opposed to other books

It says that Alan sang lead on How She Boogalooed It, an unforgivable error!  Grin

Off topic but why is it the Complete Guide always referred to as AGD's book when it's credited to Andrew and John Tobler? Just curious, not trying to stir anything up!

When it comes down to it, Who is John Tobler?

If I mention that name every time I mention the book, everyone's gonna ask who it is...
...and you know how AGD hates answering the same question over and over.   Wink

JT was one of the foremost, and best (the two terms are not invariably synonymous), rock journalists of the sixties and seventies in the UK. With Pete Frame he co-founded the legendary Zig Zag. I couldn't have had a better mentor (in the truest sense of the word) and collaborator. He's also a supremely nice guy. Even got a Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tobler

ah yes...zig zag magazine. i had a cd of the magazine's 5th anniversary concert with mike nesmith as one of the performers. very good. now that i think about it i am going to zip over to videoranch and see if nez is selling it again. i need to replace my copy.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »

ah yes...zig zag magazine. i had a cd of the magazine's 5th anniversary concert with mike nesmith as one of the performers. very good. now that i think about it i am going to zip over to videoranch and see if nez is selling it again. i need to replace my copy.

Think you can do much better than that...

The Amazing Zig Zag Concert
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:46:48 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 08:23:06 AM »

thanks andrew...  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »

Yes it does metion the unreleased LP's. It also does have a few photos but mostly record covers.

Also, does it go through solo stuff?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »

From time to time I've wanted to ask this but I was afraid to raise a delicate subject. Now that he's mentioned, I ask: Whatever happened to Brad Elliot?

Last time I remember him being online (like eight years ago, on the Net Sounds board), he was calling for donations to help fund his researching for a new book. Then, the book never happened, and he cited health issues to explain his absence (and the money was never returned, from the complaints I've read). What's been going on with him on the last few years?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:44:04 PM by Pablo. » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

This is one for AGD to tell..........  Wink

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2010, 10:30:46 PM »

From time to time I've wanted to ask this but I was afraid to raise a delicate subject. Now that he's mentioned, I ask: Whatever happened to Brad Elliot?

Last time I remember him being online (like eight years ago, on the Net Sounds board), he was calling for donations to help fund his researching for a new book. Then, the book never happened, and he cited health issues to explain his absence (and the money was never returned, from the complaints I've read). What's been going on with him on the last few years?

Basically, been evading process servers: this isn't me being my usual charming self, but from one of the folk he owes many thousands of dollars from the First Wave episode.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »

...and for other things too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx