gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:29:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIKI EDITORS' The Beach Boys Complete History  (Read 11340 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 08:35:24 AM »

If you're going to be wasteful and print out easily-accessible online information about The Beach Boys for no good reason, I would think you should print out the contents of Bellagio 10452 instead of Wikipedia's pages on the group. At least with the former you know it's as accurate as possible!

Except for the bits I made up of course... which according to someone with the initials CK is all of it.  Grin

Wow...Carol has actually accused you of making this stuff up?  I guess she can live in whatever fantasy world she wants.

Seeing as CK posted the following on her own website after our little spat on the Bloo - where she also accused me, and every other BB researcher except Russ Wapensky, of stealing AFM sheets - I have no compunction about reposting it here, some ten years later (comments in italics are mine):

“This purported self-appointed "expert" is actually a real buddy-friend of someone (used car dealer-writer) that Brian Wilson recently sued for stealing/purloining masters (Brad Elliott, and no, never 'a real buddy-friend')... this current phony posting on one board or more is posing as an "expert" on the Beach Boys' stuff who lives in England and is a bully to a lot of fans, setting himself up as some sort of "god" to history.... another one of those. Haha, never ceases to amaze me about these types of guys living on their lies and subterfuge of posing as a guru of information that is totally false but is obsessed to pretend to be a vip... this is a bachelor baby-boomer who was in knee-pants when we were recording - lives with his elderly mother who takes care of him etc (I think that anyone who stoops to low blows like that is more deserving of our pity than our censure)... I think some are getting wise to this poor guy tho', how badly he needs help.....we've got some like that over here in the USA too, the Internet helps them set up with their pure lies so they can "enchant" the masses for awhile (true - I completely invented this so-called band, The Beach Boys: actually, they don't exist)...and it's not good for people like Brian to have these types mislead people either.... They are really self-delusional guys who eventually get laughed at -- hard to believe that people actually do fall for their lies tho' for awhile, but that's because not much is known about our studio work...... more books are on the way to the printer soon (Wapensky's book was cancelled in 2003 - very sad about that). And there's a lot of films in the can wending their way on the air.... Yes, he just can't stand to be "corrected" -- yet (and most are finding this out too) he makes outlandish claims which are all lies all the time ("makes outlandish claims which are all lies all the time" - two words, Carol: James Jamerson) .... just a really bad guy imo. And yes he does have a website....this kind of person is harming the fan-club of Brian Wilson's...is the buddy of a person who Brian sued, and little by little he's being found out but does tend to bully whomever on BW and BB sites. Believe me, join the crowd of people who he attacks, I guess the truth is very threatening to him...like another fellow I know (hmmm.....probably more of them out there on the internet too). So easy to fool people on the internet which takes time to ferret out if it's lies or truth...I think he's really on his way out now tho'. Sad case (merda, I've been on my way out for ten years... guess I need to speed up some)"

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 08:36:41 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
oldsurferdude
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:04:59 PM by Billy C » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 10:36:55 AM »

I do this also because I know I won't always have internet access.
Sure I do where I live now, but where I'm expecting to move, I won't have internet access.

Don't worry, I print out stuff on small print and on each side of the paper.
and you could say I 'reuse' the paper each time I read it.

Where are you moving to - the moon?  Grin
I thought you could get internet access pretty much anywhere these days.

well, when you're lame and moving out of your parents house and know you won't have the money to pay for internet let alone not having a computer....that's when I won't have access

Library.  Grin

Gosh, I can't win here.  Cheesy

Are you guys telling me you've never printed off stuff to read when you either can't read it online or it's way to long to read on a computer screen or want to include an edit from some type or article or blog to stick in any of the BB/BW books?

These books can be a mixed bag.  They are authored or edited, by people who have a certain point of view. 

Wikipedia is the same unless it is "corrected" and I understand some of it has been, from different accounts.  You do realize that copiers have "hard drives" and stores what you copy in "memory," (which is pretty outrageous)and people who copy stuff that is not pertinent can get into trouble.   It might be best not to copy in school or work. 

You have control of your own printer.

I know how Wikipedia works.
Even being on the site itself, I can tell if the info is fact or opinion or false...I think a lot of us can tell on the BB sections.

I don't know if your just handing out advice but throughout college I got the lecture of not using wikipedia every semester.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:05:19 PM by Billy C » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »

Sure I do where I live now, but where I'm expecting to move, I won't have internet access.

well, when you're lame and moving out of your parents house and know you won't have the money to pay for internet let alone not having a computer....that's when I won't have access

Library.  Grin

Are you guys telling me you've never printed off stuff to read when you either can't read it online or it's way to long to read on a computer screen or want to include an edit from some type or article or blog to stick in any of the BB/BW books?

These books can be a mixed bag.  They are authored or edited, by people who have a certain point of view. 

Wikipedia is the same unless it is "corrected" and I understand some of it has been, from different accounts.  You do realize that copiers have "hard drives" and stores what you copy in "memory," (which is pretty outrageous)and people who copy stuff that is not pertinent can get into trouble.   It might be best not to copy in school or work. 

Even being on the site itself, I can tell if the info is fact or opinion or false...I think a lot of us can tell on the BB sections.

I don't know if your just handing out advice but throughout college I got the lecture of not using wikipedia every semester.

Wikipedia was not around when I was in college; without computers. We went to the library but we had something called "Cliff Notes" and "Monarch Outlines" (some here will know what those are  LOL ) - but I still take classes.    

The only advice was that if people use a copy machine, at work or at school, and it is not school or work-related, the copy machines, even the public ones have hard-drives so they can keep a copy of whatever you are copying including sensitive information, like personal documents, which is pretty scary.  It makes a clunky home printer/scanner look better and better, even if they are slower and less efficient.  

Wiki has disclaimers looking for updated material so it is a site which is in a state of flux all the time.  It may be a good place to "start" but maybe should not be the "last word" in your research.  
oldsurferdude
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »

Ok, but its one up from you-nah, I'm not gonna start with the name calling-nobody can top you at that. Razz
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:34:04 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »

Library.  Grin

Wikipedia was not around when I was in college; without computers. We went to the library but we had something called "Cliff Notes" and "Monarch Outlines" (some here will know what those are  LOL ) - but I still take classes.    

The only advice was that if people use a copy machine, at work or at school, and it is not school or work-related, the copy machines, even the public ones have hard-drives so they can keep a copy of whatever you are copying including sensitive information, like personal documents, which is pretty scary.  It makes a clunky home printer/scanner look better and better, even if they are slower and less efficient.  

Wiki has disclaimers looking for updated material so it is a site which is in a state of flux all the time.  It may be a good place to "start" but maybe should not be the "last word" in your research.  

Well play, I understand what you're saying.
Yes, I know what Cliff Notes are.  Grin
I'm glad I graduated and used up all my paper at the library.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 12:48:01 PM »

Library.  Grin

Congratulations, Graduate!  Wink

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »

You GO, Carol!! Please send more-great reading! Shocked

So you find the reference to my mother, who lived with me since my father died and was in poor health at the time, not only amusing but praiseworthy ? <...>
Ok, but its one up from you-nah, I'm not gonna start with the name calling-nobody can top you at that. Razz

And another mis-interpetation.

After some PM's back and forth. It's clear for me that oldsurferdude's first response was merely a sarcastic response to the CK quote, not intended to personally hurt AGD.
It was interpreted that way though, and AGD’s reaction wasn’t mild either.

Although I very well understand the personal emotions behind all this, may I (as always) suggest to ask first to make sure what the other meant to say?
No need to give the negative vibes a chance to ruin an otherwise interesting discussion.

O, and I also wouldn’t mind to scrap some words in those last few posts. We do have rules on name-calling.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »

You GO, Carol!! Please send more-great reading! Shocked

So you find the reference to my mother, who lived with me since my father died and was in poor health at the time, not only amusing but praiseworthy ? <...>

And another mis-interpetation.

After some PM's back and forth. It's clear for me that oldsurferdude's first response was merely a sarcastic response to the CK quote, not intended to personally hurt AGD.
It was interpreted that way though, and AGD’s reaction wasn’t mild either.

Although I very well understand the personal emotions behind all this, may I (as always) suggest to ask first to make sure what the other meant to say?
No need to give the negative vibes a chance to ruin an otherwise interesting discussion.

O, and I also wouldn’t mind to scrap some words in those last few posts. We do have rules on name-calling.

1 - scrap away, no problem here

2 - I think we're all well aware of what the intention was as regard OSD's response. He doesn't like me, which I can understand (Roll Eyes), or Mike Love, or, quite possibly The Beach Boys at all, which is rather odd.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 02:44:57 AM »

That would indeed be odd...why be here if you're not a BB fan?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 05:01:10 AM »

That would indeed be odd...why be here if you're not a BB fan?
Excellent question-sounds like the genesis of a possible thread. Wink
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 07:58:46 AM »

Library.  Grin

Congratulations, Graduate!  Wink

Thanks. though I did graduate spring of 09, I've felt like I can't do anything with that degree because I didn't have my license to teach until a month ago. NOW I feel like I've achieved something and moving forward in life.

Back to Topic at hand:
I'll still be ordering the book.
I enjoy how the articles on the site for the albums discuss or at least list the albums that were to be released during that particular era, example: Adult Child, New album, etc.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:46 AM »

It has a lot of flaws but in reading the book it is kind of nice to have certain things in one place. I really like reading books offline but hey I'm 34.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »

It has a lot of flaws but in reading the book it is kind of nice to have certain things in one place. I really like reading books offline but hey I'm 34.

Just checked the Wiki page for "Surfin'", and of course it was wrong (as was the singles discog) as regards the release sequence.

So I fixed it.  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »

Just checked the Wiki page for "Surfin'", and of course it was wrong (as was the singles discog) as regards the release sequence.

So I fixed it.  Grin

Ah, yes -  it's not widely known outside of West Yorkshire that Surfin' was recorded in a Halifax engineering shop. Murry Wilson had travelled with Audrey to a glass eye convention in Mexico, leaving the guys $300 dollars to buy Brian birthday cake for the weekend. Instead, they spent some of the dough on RyanAir flights to Leeds & Bradford airport and from there hopped on the Number 45 bus to Halifax, pausing only to spend some more of the cash renting instruments on Halifax's Piece Hall flea market. After recording Surfin' (three versions -  snare & vocals version, acoustic guitar & vocals version, and brass band & vocals version), they still had money left for fish & chips, a bottle of dandelion and burdock each and the bus fare back to the airport.

Coming soon to a Wiki page near you!

“We live in divisive times.”
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 10:12:53 AM »

Library.  Grin

You never will win here-you're not in Kansas anymore-you're in the jolly old land of OZ. Wall

I'm still in Kansas and only 7 miles north of "Oz".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »

I can only hope everything will be edited by AGD by the time the print of the book is delivered to me.  Grin

If only there was a perfect Beach Boys literature with no mistakes....except mr. Doe's book.  Smiley

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »

I can only hope everything will be edited by AGD by the time the print of the book is delivered to me.  Grin

If only there was a perfect Beach Boys literature with no mistakes....except mr. Doe's book.  Smiley

Wait, you mean all of them perfect in every way except AGD's?
Why does he get a pass?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

Why does he get a pass?

I don't think there's any mistakes in his book...as opposed to other books

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 12:32:24 PM »

Why does he get a pass?

Oooh ....   a witch-hunt! 

Paulos
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »

Why does he get a pass?

It says that Alan sang lead on How She Boogalooed It, an unforgivable error!  Grin

Off topic but why is it the Complete Guide always referred to as AGD's book when it's credited to Andrew and John Tobler? Just curious, not trying to stir anything up!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »

Why does he get a pass?

It says that Alan sang lead on How She Boogalooed It, an unforgivable error!  Grin

Off topic but why is it the Complete Guide always referred to as AGD's book when it's credited to Andrew and John Tobler? Just curious, not trying to stir anything up!

Andrew did all of the work, whle John supplied the publishing deal.   LOL

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »

Why does he get a pass?

When it comes down to it, Who is John Tobler?

If I mention that name every time I mention the book, everyone's gonna ask who it is...
...and you know how AGD hates answering the same question over and over.   Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 12:41:32 AM »

I can only hope everything will be edited by AGD by the time the print of the book is delivered to me.  Grin

If only there was a perfect Beach Boys literature with no mistakes....except mr. Doe's book.  Smiley

Why does he get a pass?

It says that Alan sang lead on How She Boogalooed It, an unforgivable error!  Grin

When it comes down to it, Who is John Tobler?

If I mention that name every time I mention the book, everyone's gonna ask who it is...
...and you know how AGD hates answering the same question over and over.   Wink

JT was one of the foremost, and best (the two terms are not invariably synonymous), rock journalists of the sixties and seventies in the UK. With Pete Frame he co-founded the legendary Zig Zag. I couldn't have had a better mentor (in the truest sense of the word) and collaborator. He's also a supremely nice guy. Even got a Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tobler
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:46:49 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx