gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:32:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible 50th Anniversary Reissues! (An idea of mine)  (Read 9300 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 09:20:32 AM »

Who now owns the rights to the First Wave material that Brad Elliot was planning to release?  That'd be an obvious one to mark the 50th anniversary, were it to be done right.

Excellent question. BRI claims they did... Bruce Morgan says he did. Never heard of any outcome regarding that (aside from the fact that First Wave never saw the light of day, of course), but frankly, in this instance, BRI sucked: those tapes had been reissued since 1969 on gazillions of two-bit compilations, not to mention the excellent DCC Lost And Found and Varese Sarabande's Surfin' packages, and no-one said word one. Then suddenly, BRI decide the tapes belong to them and file suit. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »

I reckon the guys who're putting together any 50th anniversary releases will be taking their time and thinking long and hard about it.

After all, they've already released the entire Capitol back catalogue as two-fers twice in the past, so doing the equivalent of a Beatles Mono/Stereo box just won't do anything sales-wise except for we diehards.

Which leaves previously unreleased material and live material.

I'd love an Archives-type release (Neil Young) but can't see that clearing every corporate hurdle and the approval of all surviving band members and their estates/families.

Who now owns the rights to the First Wave material that Brad Elliot was planning to release?  That'd be an obvious one to mark the 50th anniversary, were it to be done right.

I'd like to see a release that's like the Monkees' Headquarters Sessions release of an album.

What's on the First Wave material?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »

I reckon the guys who're putting together any 50th anniversary releases will be taking their time and thinking long and hard about it.

After all, they've already released the entire Capitol back catalogue as two-fers twice in the past, so doing the equivalent of a Beatles Mono/Stereo box just won't do anything sales-wise except for we diehards.

Which leaves previously unreleased material and live material.

I'd love an Archives-type release (Neil Young) but can't see that clearing every corporate hurdle and the approval of all surviving band members and their estates/families.

I'd like to see a release that's like the Monkees' Headquarters Sessions release of an album.

What's on the First Wave material?

Essentially, all the surviving tapes from the Hit Morgan sessions. Thus:

Disc One
Recorded September 15, 1961

1. Surfin' (demo) 2:24
2. Luau (demo, take 1) 1:37
3. Luau (demo, take 2) 1:39 *
4. Luau (demo, take 3) 1:37 *
5. Lavender (demo, take 1) 2:17 *
6. Lavender (demo, take 2) 1:07 *
7. Lavender (demo, take 3) 2:18 *
8. Lavender (demo, take 4) 2:22 *

Recorded October 3, 1961

9. Surfin' (take 1) 0:16
10. Surfin' (take 2) 2:22
11. Surfin' (take 3) 0:31 *
12. Surfin' (take 4) 2:26 *
13. Surfin' (take 5) 2:25 *
14. Surfin' (take 6) 1:02 *
15. Surfin' (take 7) 2:28 *
16. Surfin' (take Cool 2:21
17. Luau (take 1) 0:20
18. Luau (take 2) 1:51
19. Luau (take 3) 0:29 *
20. Luau (take 5) 0:08 *
21. Luau (take 6) 1:50 *
22. Luau (take 7) 1:51 *
23. Luau (take Cool 0:13 *
24. Luau (take 9) 0:07 *
25. Luau (take 10) 0:22 *
26. Luau (take 11) 1:53 *
27. Luau (take 12) 1:50
28. Lavender (take 1) 0:47 *
29. Lavender (take 2) 1:22 *
30. Lavender (take 4) 2:35 *

Recorded February 8, 1962

31. Surfin' Safari (take 3) 0:30 *
32. Surfin' Safari (take 4) 2:18 *
33. Surfin' Safari (take 5) 0:27 *
34. Surfin' Safari (take 6) 2:18 *
35. Surfin' Safari (take 10) 2:07 *
36. Surfin' Safari (overdub take 1 on take 6) 2:24
37. Surfin' Safari (overdub take 2 on take 10) 2:17
38. Surfin' Safari (stereo overdub on take 6) 2:06
39. Surfin' Safari (mono single mix) 2:01

Disc Two
Recorded February 8, 1962

1. Surfer Girl (take 1) 2:02 *
2. Surfer Girl (take 2) 2:48 *
3. Surfer Girl (take 3) 1:33 *
4. Surfer Girl (take 4) 2:24 *
5. Surfer Girl (take 5) 1:54 *
6. Surfer Girl (take 6) 2:18 *
7. Surfer Girl (overdub take 1 on take 4) 2:33
8. Judy (take 1) 2:18 *
9. Judy (take 2) 2:35 *
10. Judy (overdub take 1 on take 2) 2:29
11. Judy (overdub take 2 on take 2) 2:41
12. Beach Boy Stomp (take 1) 1:34 *
13. Beach Boy Stomp (rehearsal fragment) 0:25 *
14. Beach Boy Stomp (take 2) 1:01 *
15. Beach Boy Stomp (overdub take 1 on take 1) 1:32 *
16. Beach Boy Stomp (overdub take 2 on take 1) 1:38

Recorded March 8, 1962

17. Barbie (overdub take 1) 2:36 *
18. Barbie (overdub take 2) 0:16 *
19. Barbie (overdub take 3) 0:23 *
20. Barbie (overdub take 4) 1:08 *
21. Barbie (overdub take 5) 1:53 *
22. Barbie (overdub take 6) 2:41
23. Barbie (overdub take 7) 2:45
24. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (overdub take 1) 2:55 *
25. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (overdub take 2) 1:58 *
26. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (overdub take 3) 0:18 *
27. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (overdub take 4) 2:23 *
28. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (overdub take 5) 2:24
29. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (overdub take 6) 2:23
30. Barbie (mono single mix) 2:22
31. What Is A Young Girl Made Of? (mono single mix) 2:11

* Previously unreleased

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »

One thing they could certainly do is reissue all the brother albums as individual albums (not two-fers) with relevant live cuts, outtakes, etc. "Carry Me Home" appended to Holland, of course. And they could do a double In Concert disc!!!!!!

Paulos
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »

A re-issue series similar to the excellent Monkees Deluxe edititions would be nice but I doubt such a thing will happen.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 04:31:15 PM »

And they could do a double In Concert disc...

I'd rather see a box set of all the gigs recorded to make that original album. I don't know how many gigs that was, but I believe there were many, and that's around the time when the touring band was at its peak.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 04:32:32 PM »

Excellent question. BRI claims they did... Bruce Morgan says he did. Never heard of any outcome regarding that (aside from the fact that First Wave never saw the light of day, of course), but frankly, in this instance, BRI sucked: those tapes had been reissued since 1969 on gazillions of two-bit compilations, not to mention the excellent DCC Lost And Found and Varese Sarabande's Surfin' packages, and no-one said word one. Then suddenly, BRI decide the tapes belong to them and file suit. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Was this what drove Brad to the dark side?

(and if they ever do get released, will those of us who've paid up-front get our copies at last!?!?!?!)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »

Essentially, all the surviving tapes from the Hit Morgan sessions. Thus.... .... ... .

aka http://www.surfsuprecords.com/tracklisting.html

and who's this Hit Morgan? Murray Wilson's pal?   Smiley

Seriously though, were these tapes really mastered by Steve Hoffman as Brad claims on that site?

Edit: Answered my own question:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/MISC/4336

Yes they were.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:41:34 PM by Wee Helper » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »

Was this what drove Brad to the dark side?

(and if they ever do get released, will those of us who've paid up-front get our copies at last!?!?!?!)

I think it was partial possession of the Reum collection, and the $$ derived from it, that put him over the edge. 
Seems to me there are some people that put up anywhere from $1-10,000 each, so I would expect them to want their $$ back with interest before any CDs hit those who rightly deserve them? 
Brad, if you're reading this, pay it back NOW.

Seriously though, were these tapes really mastered by Steve Hoffman as Brad claims on that site?

Edit: Answered my own question:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/discography/MISC/4336

Yes they were.

So anyone desiring the First Wave CD's should contact Steve; I can't see any way he would have done all that work and not made copies for himself. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx