gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:38:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possible 50th Anniversary Reissues! (An idea of mine)  (Read 9347 times)
Jason
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »

do i need to apologize for not listening something i can't listen to?

just throwin out suggestions
HELL YES YOU DO!!!!!! You're talkin' to A  GEE DEE here! How DARE you think  outloud! And incorrectly to boot!! Angry

WOW...normally the Dude and I butt heads, but WOW. I LOL'd.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »

Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again (keep Denny's lead vocals)

You've obviously never heard the original, otherwise you'd not be advocating trashing a classic early 70s DW-produced track and stellar backing vocals from his brothers.

Gimme some felt-tip pens, I'll improve the Mona Lisa for you while you're doing that.

do i need to apologize for not listening something i can't listen to?

just throwin out suggestions

No sweat. I just threw it straight back.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »

A conservative estimate of three discs as far as a set of all unreleased tracks is concerned is pretty accurate, I'd say. I made a dummy playlist with all Beach Boys tunes that are still unreleased (that are booted), meaning no "alternate take" bullshit. And especially no backing track/a cappella stuff. Three CDs is a pretty good estimate. But again, we're dealing with the fact that a lot of the unreleased songs haven't been heard outside of the band's circle. There could be a few gems out there that we don't know about yet...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »

A conservative estimate of three discs as far as a set of all unreleased tracks is concerned is pretty accurate, I'd say. I made a dummy playlist with all Beach Boys tunes that are still unreleased (that are booted), meaning no "alternate take" bullmerda. And especially no backing track/a cappella stuff. Three CDs is a pretty good estimate. But again, we're dealing with the fact that a lot of the unreleased songs haven't been heard outside of the band's circle. There could be a few gems out there that we don't know about yet...

I'd be interested in seeing what tracks you have for your playlist.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »

As I've heard almost everything else that has ever leaked, I want to hear 74 California Feeling and Lucy Jones before I die. As those are the last two recordings made before Brian's voice changed for good, I would hope that they would one day get exposure, even if just for historical purposes.

I'd love for there  to be another box set full of nothing but rareties. Something like the Tom Waits collection.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 01:50:55 AM »

We have to make a promise that if any of us get a terminal disease, that person will privately and publicly (if need be) leverage their disease to get copies of desirable unreleased recordings from the BBs, and that we will then offer them to others as bootlegs.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »

We have to make a promise that if any of us get a terminal disease, that person will privately and publicly (if need be) leverage their disease to get copies of desirable unreleased recordings from the BBs, and that we will then offer them to others as bootlegs.

Is it also allowed to expertly simulate a terminal disease?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »

A conservative estimate of three discs as far as a set of all unreleased tracks is concerned is pretty accurate, I'd say. I made a dummy playlist with all Beach Boys tunes that are still unreleased (that are booted), meaning no "alternate take" bullmerda. And especially no backing track/a cappella stuff. Three CDs is a pretty good estimate. But again, we're dealing with the fact that a lot of the unreleased songs haven't been heard outside of the band's circle. There could be a few gems out there that we don't know about yet...

I'd be interested in seeing what tracks you have for your playlist.

Yeah me too.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »

apart from my Anniversary Special idea (celebrating by releasing the 20th/25th/30th anniversary shows on CD/DVD)...I think it'd be cool if they released concerts of the Beach Boys performing with other artists: the Grateful Dead, Chicago, Elton John...of course there's encores from those concerts where they're all together. Perhaps some footage could be slapped together? I think it'd be pretty awesome. Something new that still has something to do with the commercial success, performing of some greatest hits.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 04:03:12 PM »

How about a 2 disc Capitol comp called: "The Smells Of Summer"?

It will contain all the expected hits PLUS a brand new 2010!!!!! stereo re-mix of Don't Worry Baby!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 03:28:02 AM »

It will contain all the expected hits PLUS a brand new 2010!!!!! stereo re-mix of Don't Worry Baby!!!

That would different to the new stereo remix of "DW,B" that was on Summer Love Songs in 2009 ?  Roll Eyes

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 05:47:50 AM »

Clearly Razz

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »

Clearly Razz

Just checkin'.  Listening

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 06:01:35 AM »

That would different to the new stereo remix of "DW,B" that was on Summer Love Songs in 2009 ?  Roll Eyes

The Smells Of Summer will arrive with 5 sealed bags containing farts by the original 5 members. For your delectation.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »

As a slick marketing gimmick the bags will each be given a number 1-5. It is then down to the fan to detect which fart belongs to which band member. Whoever rings in and guesses correctly will win a bonus gift of 'sixth Beach Boy' Bruce Johnstone's fart baggy.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »

As a slick marketing gimmick the bags will each be given a number 1-5. It is then down to the fan to detect which fart belongs to which band member. Whoever rings in and guesses correctly will win a bonus gift of 'sixth Beach Boy' Bruce Johnstone's fart baggy.

LOL

...and perhaps will die a painful death as a result of his/her 'detecting'...

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »

The 2009 SOS 'Don't Worry Baby' is probably the best sounding Beach Boys song I own. If they have a brand new stereo mix of it for '10 I'd gladly buy it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »

What would they improve upon with a new 2010 mix, considering it is already the best sounding Beach Boys song that you license?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »

a problem is a lot of those unreleased really aren't too good. 

Who says so? 
I say release ALL the unreleased stuff, and let the buying public be the baromoter of whether they're good

Doing that would totally cheapen the Beach Boys brand!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 04:41:30 PM »

a problem is a lot of those unreleased really aren't too good. 

Who says so? 
I say release ALL the unreleased stuff, and let the buying public be the baromoter of whether they're good

Doing that would totally cheapen the Beach Boys brand!

Too late to worry about that!  Mike handled that aspect years ago...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 05:23:28 PM »

At the very least, release it online...just press the cds as people order them. Cost effective, and people get the music they want. Warners is doing that for many of their movies that have been out of print for decades.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »

What would they improve upon with a new 2010 mix, considering it is already the best sounding Beach Boys song that you license?

I'd have no idea. Just like in 2008 I'd have no idea how they could make the 2001 mix better.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »

I'd have no idea. Just like in 2008 I'd have no idea how they could make the 2001 mix better.
Well, most of us knew the original tapes went missing, so we've had the same stereo mix for 44 years. The new mix with the found tapes was sure to be improvement when released in 2009.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 08:44:27 AM »

I reckon the guys who're putting together any 50th anniversary releases will be taking their time and thinking long and hard about it.

After all, they've already released the entire Capitol back catalogue as two-fers twice in the past, so doing the equivalent of a Beatles Mono/Stereo box just won't do anything sales-wise except for we diehards.

Which leaves previously unreleased material and live material.

I'd love an Archives-type release (Neil Young) but can't see that clearing every corporate hurdle and the approval of all surviving band members and their estates/families.

Who now owns the rights to the First Wave material that Brad Elliot was planning to release?  That'd be an obvious one to mark the 50th anniversary, were it to be done right.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 09:14:07 AM »

Finding the original multitracks had a lot to do with it.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx