gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 10:52:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shyin' Away  (Read 5217 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:39:58 PM »

Did Brian write this song. I notice on the single from the '70s that its credited to D. Sandler, B. Wilson, and D. Rovell, but then inside of my '88 Rhino Spring album, its credited to M. Wilson, D. Rovell, and D. Sandler. It sounds like something Brian would write. Although, apparently David Sandler is pretty good at that. So who knows. Brian for sure did produce this though right?
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:17:36 AM »

According to the BMI online database, "Shyin' Away" was written by Diane Joy Rovell, David Stuart Sandler and Marilyn Wilson. Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a U.S. copyright filing for the song.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 05:34:50 AM »

Did Brian write this song. I notice on the single from the '70s that its credited to D. Sandler, B. Wilson, and D. Rovell, but then inside of my '88 Rhino Spring album, its credited to M. Wilson, D. Rovell, and D. Sandler. It sounds like something Brian would write. Although, apparently David Sandler is pretty good at that. So who knows. Brian for sure did produce this though right?
I think it's just a Sandler production, like most of the Spring stuff, although I've never heard a straight answer about any of it, so maybe it is BW. I guess that was about the most pointless post I've ever written (and that's sayin something!).

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MBE
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »

I can't remember off hand but I think I remember hearing him say he wrote it or perhaps it was Sandler who said that. I think he may have added a bit at least musically. Someone who has heard the Pete Fronatele interview from 1973 recently can probably tell me if my memory is faulty or not.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:31:34 AM »

Love that song !
It has a really unique way about being in love.
Music is killer too.
"American Spring" is group I would like to see reunite

Cook pork throughly
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:35:04 AM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.
Shyin' Away and Sweet Mountain seem to be the only "new" Brian material, pending on how much Brian had to do with Shyin' Away....I love these production types, they seem very creative-pop. Even the tracks to Tennessee Waltz and Had to Phone Ya are really great.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.
Shyin' Away and Sweet Mountain seem to be the only "new" Brian material, pending on how much Brian had to do with Shyin' Away....I love these production types, they seem very creative-pop. Even the tracks to Tennessee Waltz and Had to Phone Ya are really great.

Ummm... "Sweet Mountain" is a revision/expansion of a track Sandler recorded several years before he met Brian called "Standing Tall" - écouter:

"Standing Tall" clip

"Standing Tall" track clip

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 08:51:31 AM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.

Ummm... "Sweet Mountain" is a revision/expansion of a track Sandler recorded several years before he met Brian called "Standing Tall" - écouter:

"Standing Tall" clip

I must be doing something wrong, because my realplayer keeps saying the links don't work.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.

"Standing Tall" clip

I must be doing something wrong, because my realplayer keeps saying the links don't work.

No realplayer needed - just left click on the link, it goes to the page and it plays. It's idiot proof.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 11:21:33 AM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.

"Standing Tall" clip

No realplayer needed - just left click on the link, it goes to the page and it plays. It's idiot proof.

Ahh, then you haven't met me personally! 
I left click on the links, my realplayer comes up and tells me the link is bad. and that's as far as it goes.
Soooo....  sounds like I have something setup wrong, im my preferences, maybe. Tho if I start messing around "in there", I most likely won't be doing anything at all online, so I'm going to leave bad enough alone. 

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 11:56:38 AM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.

"Standing Tall" clip

STUMPED AGAIN BY ANDREW DOE...it's turning into a daily task for me.  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.

"Standing Tall" clip

I left click on the links, my realplayer comes up and tells me the link is bad. and that's as far as it goes.
Soooo....  sounds like I have something setup wrong, im my preferences, maybe. Tho if I start messing around "in there", I most likely won't be doing anything at all online, so I'm going to leave bad enough alone. 

OK, just cut & paste this into your browser:

http://www.glacierdisc.com/littledipper/Standin'Tall.mp3

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 01:49:40 PM »

Love that song !
Music is killer too.

I agree.

"Standing Tall" clip

OK, just cut & paste this into your browser:

http://www.glacierdisc.com/littledipper/Standin'Tall.mp3

Ha Ha !!  Quit it, yer killing me....  I cut/pasted/this is what I got: 
>>The webpage cannot be found
 HTTP 404 
   Most likely causes:
•There might be a typing error in the address.
•If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
     Retype the address. 

Go back to the previous page.

Go to  and look for the information you want. 

More information

This error (HTTP 404 Not Found) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but the page you wanted was not found. It's possible that the webpage is temporarily unavailable. Alternatively, the website might have changed or removed the webpage.

For more information about HTTP errors, see Help. << 

But it's not really important now. Some kind old soul recorded them and sent them to me. After listening, I can say: 
SACRILEGE!!  I hear only a glimmer of the Spring tracks you allude to, and even there it sounds like Sandler went back after the fact, and tried to record something to make it seem as if he was the 'genius". 
Andrew, I can't believe you'd fall for this clattertrap. It's so obvious that Brian was behind all of these tracks, with only minimal input from David Sandler, and only Brian's big heart led to David even getting a mention.
 Brian's De MAN!!  Any other opinions  just don't matter.  Shocked

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 02:25:04 PM »

Actually, I can believe it, based on what two key participants told me concerning Brian's involvement.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 02:26:32 PM »

If those are the original tracks... I gotta say, I'm glad Brian's involvement (to whatever degree that happened) improved them significantly. They sound dangerously muzak or lounge-y to me.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 03:19:30 PM »

Actually, I can believe it, based on what two key participants told me concerning Brian's involvement.

If you can divulge, who are the key participants? And how much involvement did Brian have?

And I kinda considered "Sweet Mountain" Brian's lost classic. But not so much now, I guess.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »

If you can divulge, who are the key participants? And how much involvement did Brian have?

And I kinda considered "Sweet Mountain" Brian's lost classic. But not so much now, I guess.

Well, unless at least one of those two key particpants is Brian, ( both being Brian would be better) Smiley    I'll remain unconvinced.  Of what I would consider the 4 keys, whom is most able to be trusted? Brian, Marilyn, Diane or David.  I go with Brian

MBE
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 10:15:52 PM »

As Desper told me Brian was in and out of the sessions. As he also told me Brian did make a big difference even when he worked a half on hour.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:25 AM »

Sure, no secret: Steve Desper told me it was about 5% Brian (he then added, "of course, 5% of Brian Wilson is better than 100% of most people") and later said that he & Sandler mixed the album as Brian wasn't interested any more. When I put Desper's percentage to Marilyn a few years later, she quickly said "5% ? No, no, more like 25%", with Diane nodding... so even by the most generous estimate, from his then wife and half of the 'band', Spring was no more than one-quarter BDW.

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »

I suggested on Sundazed's Facebook page a re-release of Spring recordings with their great quality control: albums, outtakes and unreleased songs.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 07:22:43 AM »

I suggested on Sundazed's Facebook page a re-release of Spring recordings with their great quality control: albums, outtakes and unreleased songs.

Any future reissue of Spring material depends on one person: Marilyn.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 02:32:39 PM »

Does this mean that she owns the rights to all of their material, now? 
That would be quite a coup, I'd think.  Don't the record companies usually retain ownership of the material and have the right to reissue it ad infinitum?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 03:16:12 PM »

That would be quite a coup, I'd think.  Don't the record companies usually retain ownership of the material and have the right to reissue it ad infinitum?

That's what I was told, by someone who I think would know.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »

That would be quite a coup, I'd think.  Don't the record companies usually retain ownership of the material and have the right to reissue it ad infinitum?

Rocky Pamplin?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »

That would be quite a coup, I'd think.  Don't the record companies usually retain ownership of the material and have the right to reissue it ad infinitum?

Rocky Pamplin?

Maybe it was Dan R. But he's getting older and sometimes showing is age, so...   Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx