gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 08:35:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you don't like She's Goin' Bald  (Read 13818 times)
Jason
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Dada's assessment of people who don't like She's Goin' Bald is one of many "pot meet kettle" moments in the history of Brianistas.
And quoted by a genuine Mykinista in every sense of the word.

"Objective" does not equal Mykinista. I thought if you Brianistas were so smart and perceptive you'd get that. You're all uncultured ruffians!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »

Word of advice - if you really do go around calling a spade a spade 24/7, may I suggest you either practise your ducking or invest in a hockey mask.
Are you threatening to hit me with a hockey puck, Mr. Doe?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2010, 05:33:02 PM »

Anyone ever tried to do a comp/blend of Smiley Smile and all of the boot and legit -released SMiLE material?  If you include the GV pieces and say ,two versions of Wonderful, , woody woodpecker leading to the BWPS version of FIRE, along with the various elements pieces out there, it might be a very trippy and interesting whole.  Start with OP, then Cantina H&V, and so on, put in a little Bicycle Rider theme along the way, and end the whole thing with GV.

My next BB comp.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »

I like "She's Goin' Bald" but there's nothing 'arty' about it at all. It's just a bunch of talented guys goofing off on a novelty song whilst blazing on some of Jamacia's finest. Maybe you should meditate on that Dada?  Smokin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:14:53 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

Dennis Wilson once stated that he thought She's Goin Bald was about oral sex.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 12:38:48 AM »

Dennis Wilson once stated that he thought She's Goin Bald was about oral sex.

Which, of course, the 'helium' vocals would seem to bear out.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »

Word of advice - if you really do go around calling a spade a spade 24/7, may I suggest you either practise your ducking or invest in a hockey mask.
Are you threatening to hit me with a hockey puck, Mr. Doe?

For someone who, is by his own admission, so cultured, you can be remarkably obtuse. Simply saying, if you go around all day telling folk exactly what you think of them - "jeez, you're fat"... "ugly wife"... "you shower this morning ?"... "I'm guessing no mirrors in your house" - be prepared to have the odd punch coming in your direction. It was a mild joke, but patently being as cultured as you have become requires the removal of any SOH (which I'd gathered anyway by your pompous and lapidary prose masquerading as erudition).

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »

(which I'd gathered anyway by your pompous and lapidary prose masquerading as erudition).
Wut dat meen?
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:58 AM »

This seems as good as any current place to lay this out:

What makes me laugh about the term "Brianista" is the negative connotation and the way it's tossed around by a select number of members on this board, including certain moderators. While I honor the fact that you try to keep the peace, I don't honor a passive-aggressive way of touting opinions. If you feel like saying something, then quit being a moderator and bring it. Take the (g)love(s) off.

The two aged men who are the sole "credibility" (in terms of original involvement) to The Beach Boys' present band would essentially be this without Brian's place in their lives:

-a gas pump man
-a tribute styled band member

And if that isn't enough, those two are responsible for some of the most reprehensible music (see the BB left to their own devices sans Brian), and bum lasting legacy (cue the misappropriated quote: "oh Mike and Bruce and a cover band are touring?! wow! they sure keep things fresh in people's minds"...ha! Perhaps the notion of BB= Surfin' USA) of The Beach Boys. I don't care about opinions. Everyone has them. Great. I'm sure people have their sick and twisted reasons for liking Mike Love. Fine. But understand who is the reason for the Beach Boys to be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles in certain circumstances...Brian Douglas Wilson. Again- it's all opinions,  but it's a stretch to make people feel bad or guilt for a blind love of a man that was (note: was) clearly the most genius out of that bunch.

Over and out.

Feel like arguing? Do it. I don't care to have an online argument with people that I don't know. I have more important and pressing conversations that are unpleasant with people in real life. So what's the point, message board hotshot? You rogue ace that knows more than me and the co. on here (and we know more than 95% of all people in the world about Brian and the BB- that's why we come here.)? You that thinks my words are stupid or misinformed? Save your time. You won't get a response from me in an argumentative push. Your opinion is as valid as mine. You might even have some facts on your side. You DON'T have anything that will ever indicate that Brian Wilson wasn't the single most amazing person in The Beach Boys. Point. So let people who want to laud the man do it. We have reason.

Also, since message boards tend to have folks comb over each sentence for an incongruity...by saying "bring it" I don't mean, "Let's argue!" I won't do it for reasons listed above. I mean to imply: don't call anything/anyone moderate (or a moderator) if you are putting out forward and negative viewpoints of a group of fans. Just because you are "in" with the right people or pay dues to a website, you are not above anyone. If your goal is to moderate- than be moderate.

Onward to positive vibes and thanks-

What I do enjoy about this board/ the people on it/ the issues:

the ability to come together with other fans who recognize the genius of Brian and the good involvement/execution of the other BBs, INCLUDING MIKE LOVE AND BRUCE JOHNSTON. Isn't that what a community of FANS is about? Saying that Brian is the genius of the BB and their sound is like saying that Yoda is the genius of the jedi council- it's fact. Celebrate the good of Mike Love, Bruce, and anyone else you care to, but cut the condescending talk to fans of the real genius.  Thank you very much for what is (with human folly in consideration) a very nice place in the online realm of communication. Peace and thanks. If my words mean that I shall be banned or exiled, then I don't want any part of this board. But, I shant sit in silence while people say things that are just silly.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 02:09:30 AM by DSamore » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2010, 04:10:53 AM »

Can we bring a horse in here?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2010, 04:26:14 AM »

Only if it's not breathing.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2010, 05:05:18 AM »

What makes me laugh about the term "Brianista" is the negative connotation and the way it's tossed around by a select number of members on this board, including certain moderators. While I honor the fact that you try to keep the peace, I don't honor a passive-aggressive way of touting opinions. If you feel like saying something, then quit being a moderator and bring it. Take the (g)love(s) off.

The two aged men who are the sole "credibility" (in terms of original involvement) to The Beach Boys' present band would essentially be this without Brian's place in their lives:

-a gas pump man

And if that isn't enough, those two are responsible for some of the most reprehensible music (see the BB left to their own devices sans Brian), and bum lasting legacy (cue the misappropriated quote: "oh Mike and Bruce and a cover band are touring?! wow! they sure keep things fresh in people's minds"...ha! Perhaps the notion of BB= Surfin' USA) of The Beach Boys. I don't care about opinions. Everyone has them. Great. I'm sure people have their sick and twisted reasons for liking Mike Love. Fine. But understand who is the reason for the Beach Boys to be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles in certain circumstances...Brian Douglas Wilson. Again- it's all opinions,  but it's a stretch to make people feel bad or guilt for a blind love of a man that was (note: was) clearly the most genius out of that bunch.

Over and out.

Feel like arguing? Do it. I don't care to have an online argument with people that I don't know. I have more important and pressing conversations that are unpleasant with people in real life. So what's the point, message board hotshot? You rogue ace that knows more than me and the co. on here (and we know more than 95% of all people in the world about Brian and the BB- that's why we come here.)? You that thinks my words are stupid or misinformed? Save your time. You won't get a response from me in an argumentative push. Your opinion is as valid as mine. You might even have some facts on your side. You DON'T have anything that will ever indicate that Brian Wilson wasn't the single most amazing person in The Beach Boys. Point. So let people who want to laud the man do it. We have reason.

Also, since message boards tend to have folks comb over each sentence for an incongruity...by saying "bring it" I don't mean, "Let's argue!" I won't do it for reasons listed above. I mean to imply: don't call anything/anyone moderate (or a moderator) if you are putting out forward and negative viewpoints of a group of fans. Just because you are "in" with the right people or pay dues to a website, you are not above anyone. If your goal is to moderate- than be moderate.

the ability to come together with other fans who recognize the genius of Brian and the good involvement/execution of the other BBs, INCLUDING MIKE LOVE AND BRUCE JOHNSTON. Isn't that what a community of FANS is about? Saying that Brian is the genius of the BB and their sound is like saying that Yoda is the genius of the jedi council- it's fact. Celebrate the good of Mike Love, Bruce, and anyone else you care to, but cut the condescending talk to fans of the real genius.  Thank you very much for what is (with human folly in consideration) a very nice place in the online realm of communication. Peace and thanks. If my words mean that I shall be banned or exiled, then I don't want any part of this board. But, I shant sit in silence while people say things that are just silly.

Funnier still when one recalls that to be called a Brianista back in the late seventies was a mark of no little respect, to be anointed a true believer.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 05:25:37 AM »

Now that we're all schooled on Brianistaism and culture, let's move on.

Imo, the group liked funny and novelty and therefore SGB.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »

... and then we'll have world peace ...  (, right?)

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jason
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2010, 05:51:37 AM »

-a gas pump man

Over and out.

As far as the content of the arguments here, the barbs we throw here are NOTHING compared to what happened in the Male Ego days. Two, no one is going to be banned for stating their opinion. Three, if you feel like exiling yourself for speaking your mind here, that's on you.

However, I do find the irony of the events of the last year or so on this board amusing; in January after a HUGE board blow up I was told I had no right to get down and dirty with my opinions and be "aloof" because "you're the moderator, not a member" (keeping with the skewed logic of so many of our friends here). And here we are ten months later and now people want the gloves to come off.

As far as anyone who has problems with people sharing their views on this board (and I'm of the opinion that my opinions are of NO consequence whatsoever to Beach Boys history; the BEACH BOYS are the ones with the success to show for it), if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. And I'll kindly find a world's smallest violin for you.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2010, 06:45:50 AM »

... and then we'll have world peace ...  (, right?)

Yep. That's what I meant.

BTW: I am not a Brianista. I am a patient.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 07:30:26 AM »

God bless. As this stuff recedes into history we're becoming more and more like the cult of Wagner-ites.  Who go around making sure opera attendees pronounce Knappertsbusch "Ka-nap-erts-bush", and insist only Hans Hotter could sing the role of Fafner properly.

Cam nails it:  SGB is a bunch of guys doing something silly and funny.  That's what I thought on first hearing.  No baggage required.

I dig unusual artistic left turns as much as anyone but not everything works.  Recently an art collector's estate had an auction  to sell off the collection, it was like a free MOMA show.   Some amazing things by Warhol, Miro, Rauschenberg, Lichtenstein.  But then there were things like a line drawing of Snow White giving Prince Charming oral.  Yeek. Don't know who bought it but I know I don't want that sort of thing  on my wall.  Or the drawing, either.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2010, 07:36:34 AM »

-a gas pump man

Over and out.

As far as the content of the arguments here, the barbs we throw here are NOTHING compared to what happened in the Male Ego days. Two, no one is going to be banned for stating their opinion. Three, if you feel like exiling yourself for speaking your mind here, that's on you.

However, I do find the irony of the events of the last year or so on this board amusing; in January after a HUGE board blow up I was told I had no right to get down and dirty with my opinions and be "aloof" because "you're the moderator, not a member" (keeping with the skewed logic of so many of our friends here). And here we are ten months later and now people want the gloves to come off.

As far as anyone who has problems with people sharing their views on this board (and I'm of the opinion that my opinions are of NO consequence whatsoever to Beach Boys history; the BEACH BOYS are the ones with the success to show for it), if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. And I'll kindly find a world's smallest violin for you.

A moderator should not feel that s/he cannot venture an opinion, any more than a poster...nor, do you need to be aloof...
if that means "taking the high road" - that is fine.  If it means "letting a poster know clearly that they are being insulting or offensive" to a fellow poster or band member, then that is your proper role.  As long as you qualify it by saying, "This is my personal opinion."

You can do a great job showing both sides of an issue and not sell-out your personal opinion.  I think that is your right, and might defeat the reason that you are doing this "labor of love" anyway...love of the music.  

My opinion...

It is unfortunate that there are some who refuse to see both sides.  I have found it far more fun to look at the music and take the the Beach Boys voyage "as a whole" rather than to segment it and create "factions" as it were.  And I have come to really appreciate what Mike has done for this music.  He has someone younger than he, assist with the musical direction, for music he helped write.  

And, I say that from firsthand observation, from before many of you were born (my old man used to day that - yikes!) - that does not mean that my opinion is more valuable than anyone else's or my taste is any better.  I do rejoice that younger people have latched on to this music, under any form with any of the bands who are out there.  It means that the music is enduring and at the end of the day, isn't that what matters...

It might be hard to see the "other side" and I respect everyone's right to an opinion, but, for those who really don't like the touring band, I suggest going to one of their many FREE shows, and allow your opinion be an "informed one" and not subject to what might be construed as "cool or cultured" or whatever.  

If you keep an open mind and heart, you might be surprised to see that there is room for more than what you limit yourself to.

Meditating and espousing peace while slamming someone else's views, is inconsistent with being harmonious (pun intended) while debating diverging viewpoints.

JMHO        
Jason
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »

Hey, I have never let my status as a moderator discourage me from sharing my views. The "history of Mike's reputation" thread back in January should be proof positive of that. And when those who didn't like that view had no other means to counter it, it became "he's a moderator, he can't express his opinions" and then it became "I'm leaving until he's no longer a moderator". The failing arguments of BRIANISTAS who don't like having their views challenged...PERIOD.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2010, 08:38:55 AM »

For the record, I don't mind if someone challenges my arguments. It's just a pity that they're always wrong.
Jason
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 08:40:06 AM »

Are you related to Bill O'Reilly, or, in fact, Bill O'Reilly himself?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »

For the record, I don't mind if someone challenges my arguments. It's just a pity that they're always wrong.

Interesting observation, seeing as your arguments tend to be, shall we say, inconsistent ?  

I know there's been a lot of debate over what the motivations behind Smiley Smile were, but here's what I think. The album itself was a joke. Tired of the pressures of fame and greed (unsupportive band and record company), Brian took recordings that cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to make, cast them aside, got himself and his "square" bandmates stoned completely out of their minds, and then recorded the results and presented it to the record company as one big joke. I imagine it went something like this: "Haha, I'll show everybody. I'll throw away all those expensive tracks and record some stoned demos in my lo-fi home studio and give it to the record company and the band as my next BIG album that everyone has been waiting for. It'll be hilarious." It just really sounds like something a stoner would do. I think it was that simple.

And then you have the music itself. It's like a tortured artist took a beautiful mosaic that was almost finished and scratched most of the tiles off and splattered paint all over it and the presented it to the public as avant garde. There are some bits and pieces of the original masterpiece still left, but most of it is covered in organ drone and deep bass. Take Smiley Smile's "Wonderful". It seems like some of the original beauty of the SMiLE version tries to creep out more and more out of the haze as the song progresses, until we basically get the original melody untarnished at the end. I think it was very intentional. All of which is intriguing in its own way,

It's just something I wanted to say. It could all be wrong.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:38:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »

-a gas pump man

Over and out.

Well, I have no desire to bicker with you or leave the site, so no violin required. I do thank you for putting your time into a very nice site with a great community to meet other fans. Being that I mainly lurk on here and do not post with all that much frequency, I was unaware of what the limits were.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:02:30 AM by DSamore » Logged
Jason
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »

Nah, that remark wasn't pointed at you personally...it's pointed at anyone who sees fit to bitch and moan about peoples' opinions and "I'm gonna leave if you don't apologize" or some lame sh*t like that. You're 2 cool 4 school, broseidon. Smiley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »

Interesting observation, seeing as your arguments tend to be, shall we say, inconsistent ?  

I know there's been a lot of debate over what the motivations behind Smiley Smile were, but here's what I think. The album itself was a joke. Tired of the pressures of fame and greed (unsupportive band and record company), Brian took recordings that cost thousands upon thousands of dollars to make, cast them aside, got himself and his "square" bandmates stoned completely out of their minds, and then recorded the results and presented it to the record company as one big joke. I imagine it went something like this: "Haha, I'll show everybody. I'll throw away all those expensive tracks and record some stoned demos in my lo-fi home studio and give it to the record company and the band as my next BIG album that everyone has been waiting for. It'll be hilarious." It just really sounds like something a stoner would do. I think it was that simple.

And then you have the music itself. It's like a tortured artist took a beautiful mosaic that was almost finished and scratched most of the tiles off and splattered paint all over it and the presented it to the public as avant garde. There are some bits and pieces of the original masterpiece still left, but most of it is covered in organ drone and deep bass. Take Smiley Smile's "Wonderful". It seems like some of the original beauty of the SMiLE version tries to creep out more and more out of the haze as the song progresses, until we basically get the original melody untarnished at the end. I think it was very intentional. All of which is intriguing in its own way,

It's just something I wanted to say. It could all be wrong.
AGD - that poster may need a lawyer, not a mere "metaphorical" hockey mask... (Brian) "got his 'square' bandmates stoned out of their minds."

Was s/he there? (44 or so years ago!) Was s/he an eyewitness?

Libel = defamation with written words...a legal claim of false statement that is printed, spoken or otherwise communicated...

Slander is spoken;  Libel is written; both are "defamatory." (Media Law Resource Center)

A word to the wise (or cultured) is sufficient.

Calling the album a joke!  Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations?  Wind Chimes, Gettin' Hungry (gritty but cool) Wonderful?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx