gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:48:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you don't like She's Goin' Bald  (Read 13780 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

We  need to  remember, Mike had to take "what Brian wrote" and "sell it" on the road, to the audiences, during a time when the US was at war, when the US was in political disarray, and we were having our leaders assassinated.  Mike could look at that audience, night after night, and know what would be listened to, and what would be ignored.
Why? Who said the BBs had to play for teenagers nonstop? The Beatles had already stopped touring by August of 1966. It was shortsighted on the part of money-grubbing Mike to worry so much about maintaining a core audience of teenagers. Brian's melodies, song ideas, and production had already made Mike a very rich man. Brian had led them well so far and there seemed to be no reason to doubt him. After all, the press was calling Brian a genius, and the broader public's approval of Brian's musical direction became apparent when they bought hundreds of thousands of copies of "Good Vibrations" in a little over a week. So, couldn't Mike have been more supportive of Brian?

You can try to be a revisionist about Mike's dislike of Smile, but there are well-documented confrontations between Mike, Brian, and Van Dyke Parks, and Parks made it clear in interviews during the '70s that Mike was vocal in his distaste of the Smile project. For example, here's passive aggressive Mike complaining about having to play "Good Vibrations" live in 1966: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOAhTRbVEzc&playnext=1&list=PL79211E12A76C250E&index=40

I'm sure he was happy to have that song over so he could sing "Long Tall Texan".

Yes, Smile would've meant the end of the BBs as a teenage act. So what? They'd spend most of the early 70s trying to capture the group of listeners that Smile would've guaranteed them in 66/67. 1966/67 was a revolutionary time, as you said. People wanted to create a new world. They wanted "Good Vibrations" and "Strawberry Fields Forever".  

And yes, if the BBs touring group had tried to play a song like "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" on stage, it probably wouldn't have gone over well. The fact is, the BBs live at the time were what we would now call "garage rock", although their harmonies were a little better than most garage bands. I mean, listen to their attempt to play "Good Vibrations". Some parts are good, but on other parts the song nearly dies. Should Brian have to hold back his musical development so that a bunch of average professional musicians could recreate it live a couple of times a week?

The BBs at this point should have been touring less and with a bigger entourage of professional musicians. But Mike & Co. wanted to keep riding the money train of their earlier formula. Only Brian saw that if they didn't change they would be obsolete in about 2 years.

Revisionist?  Probably not.  Brian was not touring and I am not privy to whatever when down with Van Dyke, though I believe he is pretty creative. You were just told that Brian "shelved" the project by one of the moderators.  The Beach Boys did play "Rock and Roll Woman" by the Buffalo Springfield, and recently played Back in the USSR, by the Beatles, only a few months ago but years back travelled with other musicians like Darryl Dragon of Captain and Tennille, Charles Lloyd, a brass section and what I would call an enhanced percussion section.  

You can get a flavor for the setlists on Eric Anniversario's setlist webpage.  They played non-BB stuff occasionally, but there were two or three acts which came on before they played.  So, the number of songs was limited to about a dozen.  They had several dozen back-to-back hits that the crowd was paying good money to hear.

Mike traveled with Carl and Dennis Wilson, Al, Bruce and whatever other musicians were working for them at the time.

Have you seen the Beach Boys live?  They have played for a "stratified audience" since I have seen them.  The early 60's might have had a very limited age audience but not from 1967 on.  I don't understand what you mean by touring with a larger group of musicians.  There were so many, at a point, including a brass section, and extra percussionists, they barely fit on the stage.  If you go back to some YouTubes you will see that.  

Have you seen "1974 - On the Road with the Beach Boys" taped by band member Billy Hinsche in 1974?  You will see Van Dyke in some clips and described as "one of the good guys."  SMiLE was 1967.  I am not sure in what capacity he was with the band but it was later than the ill-fated project.  

The feeling I am getting is "adversarial" and while a great discussion on this great music is fabulous, in a community type atmosphere, the Mike bashing is inappropriate.  You clearly are devoted to Brian and that is great, but bashing one member is not my cup of tea.  

During those years you mention they were "age-ing out' of the teen market because of The Monkees, and more bubblegum pop groups catering to the preteens.  That early audience was going to college.

The demographic was older, to the college campuses who were much more receptive to the whole experimental music they were working on.  And they played Carl and the Passions stuff.  This predated Holland and Carl was the de facto musical director. And Woodstock changed everything and made music more serious.  Have you listened to Surf's Up and Student Demonstration Time?  And Don't Go Near the Water, another Mike song: highlighting environmental awareness and so ahead of its time...

Mike did a lot of work on these themes, and it was truly timely, given the climate at the colleges and universities.  It is a great album.

It is not so simplistic as a falling out over the SMiLE project.  
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »

I don't understand what you mean by touring with a larger group of musicians.  There were so many, at a point, including a brass section, and extra percussionists, they barely fit on the stage.  If you go back to some YouTubes you will see that.

I was referring specifically to the band's live act and the audience it drew in '66/early '67. I agree that they improved their live show substantially for periods after that. Also, I'm not saying that the band was terrible live in '66. They were average for a live rock act. Problem was, Brian's musical ambition was way beyond that.
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:21 AM »

Dada nails it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 02:18:30 AM »

I am in a Holmes (Sherlock, not Frank) mood today:

I give you:

'Love Is A Woman'

'She's Going Bald'

...from the two albums discussed in this thread.

Conclusion: Mike underwent a sex change operation before 1967; and Brian chose to reveal that in his own inimitable manner to the public.

For further reference: see 'Glen Or Glenda' by Ed Wood Jr. (Mike's Many Marriages are just window dressing, in other words).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 02:50:35 AM »

If you don't like "She's Goin' Bald" then you're simply uncultured. Oh...

"Oh..." nothing - you just lost me right there with a sweeping and frankly arrogant statement. That's a perfect example of the fabled 'Bloo mentality' - "if you don't like every last thign Brian Wilson ever did, is doing or possibly will do in the future, then you're an idiot".

I'm no renaissance man, but I read English Literature at college. I like Shakespeare, Donne, Chaucer, Langland, Coleridge, Hemingway, Whitman. My musical tastes span Gregorian chant, The Beach Boys and Butterworth.

I'm cultured. I can spell (most of the time), I know what the capital of Belize is and I don't ready USA Today.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2010, 02:59:36 AM »

"Oh..." nothing - you just lost me right there with a sweeping and frankly arrogant statement. That's a perfect example of the fabled 'Bloo mentality' - "if you don't like every last thign Brian Wilson ever did, is doing or possibly will do in the future, then you're an idiot".

I'm no renaissance man, but I read English Literature at college. I like Shakespeare, Donne, Chaucer, Langland, Coleridge, Hemingway, Whitman. My musical tastes span Gregorian chant, The Beach Boys and Butterworth.

I'm cultured. I can spell (most of the time), I know what the capital of Belize is and I don't ready USA Today.

Not wanting to interfere, but:

I took Dada's post to imply: it is a mistake to read 'Smiley Smile' (and thus SGB) as inferior product, dismissable as a brain fart to please Capitol because Smile did not see the light of day. SS is whimsical, odd, perhaps even slim or slight, but certainly not inferior. It is a small masterpiece all of its own, and not comparable to anything released in 1967 by anyone else. It is modern art. In that light, SGB is very much to be appreciated. This person certainly does.

There are Brian things that I don't particularly care for, and I don't feel obliged to go against my feelings and love them because they're by Brian. Indeed, that is the Bloo mentality.

I took Dada's literal remark quoted above to be elitist on purpose, and therefore ironic and self-deprecating.

Just my two cents. Your words, AGD, surely apply in general, but for me in this case not so, because of the way I read Dada's words.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:00:29 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2010, 03:28:40 AM »

And Mike Love and Al Jardine loved Robinson Jeffers' poem Beaks of Eagles.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2010, 03:31:00 AM »

BTW, Mr. Heartical, I have similar feelings about "Love Is a Woman".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 04:37:28 AM »

No, wait... let me guess... "If you like anything composed or adapted by Mike or Alan then you're simply uncultured", right ?  Grin

Smiley Smile is, to me, the greatest "WTF Huh" moment in the whole history of The Beach Boys: that it was thrown together at warp speed to keep Capitol form going into complete meltdown is a very strong argument (and it's also a stronger argument that at that time in his life, even when he wasn't really trying, Brian could still work his magic), but the big question is, what possessed Capitol to distribute it at all ? My best guess is that there was some clause in the 'breakages' lawsuit settlement that stated not only would Capitol agree to distribute Brother releases, but that also they had to, irrespective of what was handed to them. Or maybe it was a tax write-off.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:45:03 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 06:13:59 AM »

No, wait... let me guess... "If you like anything composed or adapted by Mike or Alan then you're simply uncultured", right ?  Grin

Smiley Smile is, to me, the greatest "WTF Huh" moment in the whole history of The Beach Boys: that it was thrown together at warp speed to keep Capitol form going into complete meltdown is a very strong argument (and it's also a stronger argument that at that time in his life, even when he wasn't really trying, Brian could still work his magic), but the big question is, what possessed Capitol to distribute it at all ? My best guess is that there was some clause in the 'breakages' lawsuit settlement that stated not only would Capitol agree to distribute Brother releases, but that also they had to, irrespective of what was handed to them. Or maybe it was a tax write-off.

Andrew - I just pulled out the two Smiley Smile CD's that I have...

One is the American 2-fer with Wild Honey - it has 11 tracks

Then, the French version has the 11 plus what is billed as 6 Bonus tracks

12. You're Welcome (B.Wilson)

13. Heroes and Villains (version alternative) (B. Wislon - V.D. Parks)

14. Good Vibrations (B. Wilson - M. Love) (1ère version)

15. Do You Like Worms (inédit) (B. Wilson - V.D. Parks)

16. Our Prayer - inédit - (B. Wilson)

17. I Love to say Da Da - (B. Wilson) - inédit

I don't have the NEW SMiLE in front of me - but when I heard the '04 version I felt if I heard almost everything already.  And I have forgotten the Bonus tracks on the EMI French Version, which has a release date of 1998 MAM Productions.

Did something like this surface in England? 

the site is www.magic-records.com -  distribution EMI Music FRance

I hope I have filled in some blanks...I may have heard most of the track without even realizing it...DUH!  LOL

oldsurferdude
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »

Not wanting to interfere, but:

I took Dada's post to imply: it is a mistake to read 'Smiley Smile' (and thus SGB) as inferior product, dismissable as a brain fart to please Capitol because Smile did not see the light of day. SS is whimsical, odd, perhaps even slim or slight, but certainly not inferior. It is a small masterpiece all of its own, and not comparable to anything released in 1967 by anyone else. It is modern art. In that light, SGB is very much to be appreciated. This person certainly does.

There are Brian things that I don't particularly care for, and I don't feel obliged to go against my feelings and love them because they're by Brian. Indeed, that is the Bloo mentality.

I took Dada's literal remark quoted above to be elitist on purpose, and therefore ironic and self-deprecating.

Just my two cents. Your words, AGD, surely apply in general, but for me in this case not so, because of the way I read Dada's words.
Yep, that's how I understood it as well. Looks like someone served up a turd on AGD's dinner plate .
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 08:33:13 AM »

I would put Smiley in the bottom 3 of the Beach Boys 60's lps. It's good but just not that good. However I do agree with Dada's statement that the group spent the latter half of the 60's and early 70's chasing what Smile would have undoubtedly given them - acceptance and relevance from the counter culture.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:17 AM »

Andrew - I just pulled out the two Smiley Smile CD's that I have...

One is the American 2-fer with Wild Honey - it has 11 tracks

Then, the French version has the 11 plus what is billed as 6 Bonus tracks

12. You're Welcome (B.Wilson)

13. Heroes and Villains (version alternative) (B. Wilson - V.D. Parks)

14. Good Vibrations (B. Wilson - M. Love) (1ère version)

15. Do You Like Worms (inédit) (B. Wilson - V.D. Parks)

16. Our Prayer - inédit - (B. Wilson)

17. I Love to say Da Da - (B. Wilson) - inédit

I don't have the NEW SMiLE in front of me - but when I heard the '04 version I felt if I heard almost everything already.  And I had forgotten the Bonus tracks on the EMI French Version, which has a release date of 1998 MAM Productions.

Did something like this surface in England? 

the site is www.magic-records.com -  distribution EMI Music France

I hope I have filled in some blanks...(for myself, anyway) I may have heard most of the track without even realizing it...DUH!  LOL

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »

The harshest critics of great art are usually the basest people. They go through their lives unthinkingly, idling away their potential by immersing themselves the crudest forms of entertainment imaginable. And when they're not doing that, you'll find them absurdly preoccupied with their menial jobs.

Wake up. That's no way to live. Put on Smiley Smile. Get some culture in your life.

I find your viewpoint of people who don't enjoy great art (whatever that is) pretty condescending. So what if Jo Bloggs doesn't dig John Cage or whatever qualifies as musical art these days. Celine Dion may be his bag and more power to him.

Ironically when I listen to She's Goin Bald, I hear BW dumbing everything down, un-shouldering himself of the burden of genius and sticking two fingers up to any expectations of him producing great art anymore! They're just having fun here aren't they?!

And for what it's worth, I can take or leave SGB. I always thought it was one of the more mediocre tracks on the album what with the chipmunk vocals and everything.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jason
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »

Honestly, I'd take that rather "schooled" assessment of Mr. Dada's as indicative of typical Brianista mentality and shrug it off. You win some, you lose some. Half of those fucktards on the blueboard don't even know anything other than Pet Sounds, BWPS, TLOS, and BWRG. Smiley
Bill Ed
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2010, 11:53:53 AM »

When I imagine someone disliking songs off of Smiley Smile, I see a country bumpkin with a pitchfork in his hand trashing a great piece of modern abstract art at the Louvre.

When I imagine someone liking some of the songs on Smiley Smile, I see a country bumpkin with a pitchfork in his hand admiring a piece of "modern art" fashioned from cow dung while the "artist" laughs at him behind his back. 
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »

So what if Jo Bloggs doesn't dig John Cage or whatever qualifies as musical art these days. Celine Dion may be his bag and more power to him.
You're right, it's not important. It just means that he's most likely uncultured. When I say that someone is uncultured, I'm saying it as a simple statement of fact, not as an insult.

Ironically when I listen to She's Goin Bald, I hear BW dumbing everything down, un-shouldering himself of the burden of genius and sticking two fingers up to any expectations of him producing great art anymore! They're just having fun here aren't they?!
Yeah, but... so? I still consider Smiley Smile arty. It's not about how long it took to make, or if Brian was trying to fulfill the expectations of the rock press. Art is art. That Smiley Smile was art is an unavoidable byproduct of Brian's creative processes at the time. You're taking a very narrow view of art.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 12:57:09 PM by Dada » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 01:53:16 PM »

This is such a terrible and presumptuous thread.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 02:00:04 PM »

So what if Jo Bloggs doesn't dig John Cage or whatever qualifies as musical art these days. Celine Dion may be his bag and more power to him.
You're right, it's not important. It just means that he's most likely uncultured. When I say that someone is uncultured, I'm saying it as a simple statement of fact, not as an insult.

No, what you're saying is that in your opinion (which, with your being a Beach Boys fan, is necessarily biased) he's 'uncultured'. I may be arrogant, i may be argumentative, I may be stubborn and wilful, but I don't go around telling people that because they don't don't agree with my opinion they're 'uncultured'. If they start arguing the toss with me over documented fact, why then yes, I'll get the bazooka out, but I'll respect their opinion when expressed as such, however misguided I think that may be (and remember, I like Looking Back With Love).

What you're saying, and how it's being phrased - whether for effect or not - is arrogant and condescending. What you're saying is, anyone who disagrees with your opinion is uncultured. Add snobbish to that list.  What you're saying is "you're much too stupid to appreciate fine art, but listen to me and I will enlighten you".
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 02:26:19 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Jason
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »

This is such a terrible and presumptuous thread.

You came out and said what I was thinking the whole time...'tis the life of a Gandhi-like figure of goodwill, a statesman, if you will, on our board.
Jason
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Dada's assessment of people who don't like She's Goin' Bald is one of many "pot meet kettle" moments in the history of Brianistas.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »

What you're saying, and how it's being phrased - whether for effect or not - is arrogant and condescending. What you're saying is, anyone who disagrees with your opinion is uncultured. Add snobbish to that list.
We're now straying from the topic of the Beach Boys, but I feel compelled to respond to this.

Life is unfair and unbalanced, Mr. Doe. You have the rich and you have the poor. You have the cultured and you have the uncultured. Would you deny this simple fact?

What I do is look at the world with equanimity. I call a spade a spade. I accept the facts. I don't attempt to paint over the scenes of life with the false colors of equality to make it as I wish it would be.

I meditate. I am a practitioner of mindful awareness. One doesn't need to enjoy Smiley Smile to be cultured. However, a cultured person would understand and deeply appreciate the unique qualities it offers to the world. If you dismiss "She's Goin' Bald" because of the weird production and close your mind off to it, then yes, I would say that you don't have a refined mind. Your reasoning would be shallow. There is even something to learn from Celine Dion, although I would say far less than what there is to learn from Smiley Smile.

We were lucky to get this album.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, Mr. Dada's assessment of people who don't like She's Goin' Bald is one of many "pot meet kettle" moments in the history of Brianistas.
And quoted by a genuine Mykinista in every sense of the word.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »

What you're saying, and how it's being phrased - whether for effect or not - is arrogant and condescending. What you're saying is, anyone who disagrees with your opinion is uncultured. Add snobbish to that list.
We're now straying from the topic of the Beach Boys, but I feel compelled to respond to this.

Life is unfair and unbalanced, Mr. Doe. You have the rich and you have the poor. You have the cultured and you have the uncultured. Would you deny this simple fact?

What I do is look at the world with equanimity. I call a spade a spade. I accept the facts. I don't attempt to paint over the scenes of life with the false colors of equality to make it as I wish it would be.

I meditate. I am a practitioner of mindful awareness. One doesn't need to enjoy Smiley Smile to be cultured. However, a cultured person would understand and deeply appreciate the unique qualities it offers to the world. If you dismiss "She's Goin' Bald" because of the weird production and close your mind off to it, then yes, I would say that you don't have a refined mind. Your reasoning would be shallow. There is even something to learn from Celine Dion, although I would say far less than what there is to learn from Smiley Smile.

We were lucky to get this album.

You really believe the pompous twaddle you just spouted, don't you ? 

Word of advice - if you really do go around calling a spade a spade 24/7, may I suggest you either practise your ducking or invest in a hockey mask.

Jason
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »

In North Philly, if you call a spade a spade, you're dead man walking. Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx