gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:51:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love  (Read 11460 times)
Jason
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:49:53 PM »

Has this group ever had their own thread?

Two words. Da Capo. Oh yeah, and some album called Forever Changes?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:51:57 PM »

Lukewarm response here. I like them, but not nearly as much as I know a lot of people do. To me--much like the Doors (but in a different way)--they sound very, very dated.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:54:09 PM »

Funny, I always thought The Doors were the band that was trying to be Love, except Arthur Lee didn't have the dynamics of Jim Morrison. He did, however, have the ability to write very emotional, gripping tunes.. Again, not knocking The Doors, I always loved their music.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:56:47 PM »

I'm not saying which of the two I prefer in the above note, just saying they both sound very much of their times.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 04:57:54 PM »

One of the greatest bands to play this Earth.
And Out Here is way underrated.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 04:58:40 PM »

I'm not saying which of the two I prefer in the above note, just saying they both sound very much of their times.

Didn't most of the so-called "psychedelic" bands sound very much of their times?

Although I'm mincing words with The Doors. I always thought The Doors were a hardcore blues/rock band that jumped on the psychedelic bandwagon at the end of 1966 because it was becoming the new thing. Trendy? Maybe.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 05:00:28 PM »

Yes--absolutely. And that, in part, is why they don't generally hold up well. I think that to jump too fully onto any bandwagon is to have the chance for greater success, maybe, but absolutely to knock yourself out in the future. The acts that hold up tend to be those with good, strong songs that don't quite fit into any era, and thus fit pretty well in every era.

Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 05:02:12 PM »

I always did think the first two Doors albums dated very badly. Their overexposure on oldies radio seems to point to that. The Soft Parade dated horribly, it sounds like a bad lounge album. Waiting For The Sun, Morrison Hotel, and LA Woman dated far better.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 05:03:03 PM »

And that, in part, is why they don't generally hold up well.

I think you just described Sgt. Pepper and not Love. Forever Changes is wholly timeless. Signed D.C. and My Flash On You could have been written yesterday.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 05:03:50 PM »

I always did think the first two Doors albums dated very badly. Their overexposure on oldies radio seems to point to that. The Soft Parade dated horribly, it sounds like a bad lounge album. Waiting For The Sun, Morrison Hotel, and LA Woman dated far better.

I LOVE The Soft Parade. The first two are amazing, they just get too much exposure in comparison to the rest of their work.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »

Forever Changes isn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill psychedelic album. Think Sgt. Pepper, The Doors, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, some Roky Erickson material. I always thought it had more in common with the so-called "folk-rock" movement of 1965 and the kind of sound that The Left Banke were experimenting with, that "baroque pop" sound.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 05:06:28 PM »

And that, in part, is why they don't generally hold up well.

I think you just described Sgt. Pepper and not Love. Forever Changes is wholly timeless. Signed D.C. and My Flash On You could have been written yesterday.

From a production standpoint, sure. But Pepper has brilliant songs, too--even beneath the dated production.

Jason
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 05:06:57 PM »

I LOVE The Soft Parade. The first two are amazing, they just get too much exposure in comparison to the rest of their work.

The Soft Parade has good songs and good performances, but the overdubbing of strings and horns on the Krieger songs is very un-Doors. But Touch Me was a reasonable hit, so what do I know?
Jason
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 05:07:31 PM »

From a production standpoint, sure. But Pepper has brilliant songs, too--even beneath the dated production.

Something Magical Mystery Tour can't lay claim to.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 05:08:10 PM »

Amen.

Jason
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 05:10:36 PM »

I'll be honest about the so-called "psychedelic" movement. I wasn't there to experience it, but I always thought the music was taking a backseat to more wild production values, and something was getting lost in the mix. Sometimes I think Os Mutantes was the psychedelic band that aged the best.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 05:17:38 PM »

I was listening to a few Os Mutantes tracks today. Great band indeed.

Jason
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 05:18:11 PM »

I started a Mutantes thread on the old forum, but it went nowhere. Hardly the response I expected.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 05:20:55 PM »

Generally not the easiest band to find material by, and they certainly don't have the name recognition of the other sorts of threads that get started on these boards. I mean, Beach Boys, Beatles, obviously. Then you get your Doors, your Zombies, your this and that. But Os Mutantes never quite gets there.

As I said in the old thread and will say here, though--you can hear some Os Mutantes in Of Montreal, whose chief member Kevin Barnes has referenced in reverent terms. Anyone who listens to Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies or Gay Parade and doesn't hear Os Mutantes probably is deaf.

Jason
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 05:21:53 PM »

Generally not the easiest band to find material by, and they certainly don't have the name recognition of the other sorts of threads that get started on these boards. I mean, Beach Boys, Beatles, obviously. Then you get your Doors, your Zombies, your this and that. But Os Mutantes never quite gets there.

The language barrier, most likely. And the fact that they were most likely rarely heard outside of Brazil during their lifespan.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 05:23:02 PM »

I'm not aware of a single store in Minneapolis in which you can buy an Os Mutantes record/disc. And we do have a couple of really good independent stores. Tough to love a band you can't hear. (Thank goodness for the internet and thievery.)

Jason
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 05:23:46 PM »

Yeah, I found the Mutantes catalog through bit torrents. If the albums ever are reissued in America, I'll gladly buy. Until then, this will have to suffice.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2005, 06:21:24 PM »

Amen.

Amen too.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 04:03:53 AM »

Erm... Fool on the Hill is better than anything on Forever Changes.
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 09:29:11 AM »

erm, no its not.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx