gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 05:45:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs that you prefer Live to the Studio Version  (Read 4942 times)
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »

What are the songs that you think the BB's have done better live than in the studio? I'd say Marcella, Let the Wind Blow, Aren't You Glad, Darlin', Wouldn't it be Nice and You Still Believe In Me.  What do you think?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »

Let The Wind Blow is the ultimate example - Not a Mike hater, but anyone who prefers his vocal to Carl's on that is crazy

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »

really?
Wouldn't it be Nice?!?!?

This is my fav song of all times, but that studio track? the guy's perfect vocals? How could a live performance compete? what era are you preferring? the ones without Brian, how?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »

really?
Wouldn't it be Nice?!?!?

This is my fav song of all times, but that studio track? the guy's perfect vocals? How could a live performance compete? what era are you preferring? the ones without Brian, how?

During the early 70's. For some reason i think Al Jardine's voice suits the song better than Brian's maybe i'm just crazy.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »

really?
Wouldn't it be Nice?!?!?

During the early 70's. For some reason i think Al Jardine's voice suits the song better than Brian's maybe i'm just crazy.

Maybe I don't know

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »

I don't by any means consider them superior, but I really dig the Hawaii rehearsal versions of Good Vibrations and Surfer Girl, as well as the subsequent Wally Heider version of God Only Knows...there really is a whole lot of passion in those versions. Kind of like a feeling of innocence lost.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »

i've always been a fan of Darlin' performed at Knebworth, it's really fast, but I enjoy that.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »

It's not really better, but just different, I like the rocking version of "Heroes and Villains" on In Concert. Al & Carl do a great job on the vocals.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:39:22 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »

It's not really better, but just different, I like the rocking version of "Heroes and Villains" on In Concert. Al & Carl do a great job on the vocals.

haha I was just going to post that one. I'm listening to it now, it carries on far more energy than the studio version....LOVE it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »

What are the songs that you think the BB's have done better live than in the studio? I'd say Marcella, Let the Wind Blow, Aren't You Glad, Darlin', Wouldn't it be Nice and You Still Believe In Me.  What do you think?

It is my favorite Live Beach Boys song....really well done on In Concert. But I don't find it better than the studio version.

I think Do It Again live is FAR better than the studio version.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »

"Darlin'" is better than it's studio counterpart, at least until 1980. I'd also say "Marcella", I much prefer the live take of that to the studio one.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »

I don't by any means consider them superior, but I really dig the Hawaii rehearsal versions of Good Vibrations and Surfer Girl, as well as the subsequent Wally Heider version of God Only Knows...there really is a whole lot of passion in those versions. Kind of like a feeling of innocence lost.

This, a bazillion times. The 'Liveness' of the Heider tunes aside, they are insanely beautiful.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »

Excellent thread!

73 Concert -

Sail on Sailor
Don't Worry Baby
Leaving This Town
You Still Believe in Me
Rhonda

Live in London - 1969
Do It Again
Wake the World
Bluebirds

Knebworth  - 1980
Lady Lynda
Surfer Girl - Dennis introducing Brian!
God Only Knows 
Cottonfields/Heroes and Villains

Songs from Here and Back
Little Deuce Coupe 
Kokomo
Dance, Dance, Dance

Sorry if I put in too many songs.   It is hard to choose; there is so much great stuff!   Wink

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »

I can't think of any, really, aside from "Darlin."  As much as I love the Beach Boys live, I've always been more partial to studio versions of songs in general. 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »

Yeah, they're definitely a studio band first and foremost. I honestly think they should have all stopped touring and begun writing individually and collectively more. Alas.

Plus, although I think Carl's vocals are superior in live versions of "Darlin'" what I miss is the awesome phat piano sound that the recorded version (and all of Wild Honey obviously) has... it's awesome.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »

What Brian has done in the past decade with performing rarities live, there's a lot to choose from.

Marcella (I know, not so rare)
Salt Lake City (pretty on par with original)
Pet Sounds (instrumental)
Lay Down Burden (far superior to the studio cut)
YOur Imagination (same thing)
Melt Away (I LOVE hearing Jeff's voice on this)
Please Let Me Wonder (Brian's band of angels once again)
Love and Mercy (All Star Tribute Live with Boys Choir Harlem)
The Night Was So Young
Friends
Keep an Eye on Summer (acoustic live)
Little Girl I Once Knew
Good to My Baby
Busy Doin' Nothin'
Do it Again (love the capella part at the end)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »

Definitely You Still Believe in Me and Marcella.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:51 AM »

I definitely prefer the live versions of Do It Again and Marcella live over the original.
Always dig the lick on the intro to Do It Again, one of my favorite concert moments!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 02:58:08 AM »

Their version of 'I Get Around' from the TAMI show kicks the sh*t out of the studio version.  One of my favorites!
MBE
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 03:24:14 AM »

There's really not much as I miss Brian's voice on most of the prime live tapes. We Got Love was better live, Surfer Girl from the 67 rehearsal and Gettin Hungry from the Hawaii concert come to mind. All I Want To Do On Rarites is better I think. Pappa Omm Mow Mow wasn't as good on Party. Hide Your Love Away and Barbara Ann (with Brian in the sixties) were better live as the Party versions are sloppy.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 04:25:50 AM »

I know it's regarded as a throwaway track, but Papa Oom Mow Mow from The Lost Concert is just awesome-for a small moment Brian just seems to forget where he is and goes for it.

I really must do myself a live compilation this weekend

Great thread, by the way
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 06:47:54 AM »

I know it's regarded as a throwaway track, but Papa Oom Mow Mow from The Lost Concert is just awesome-for a small moment Brian just seems to forget where he is and goes for it.

Great thread, by the way

let us know what you put on the compilation.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 06:52:38 AM »

The first song that popped into my head was "Do It Again".

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 08:06:57 AM »

Great thread, by the way

let us know what you put on the compilation.
Will do-lets just say there is alot of evidence to get through. I'm thinking 15 tracks as 'The Beach Boys' and then 5 or 6 tracks from Brian/Carl solo shows. Any good ideas where to start?
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »

"Funky Pretty."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx