gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:00:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB Interviews do's/don't's  (Read 6130 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:29:44 PM »

We've all either imagined or discussed what songs or topics you'd like to talk about if you ever had the chance to interview a Beach Boy. I'd like to break down each section by Beach Boy; I think we could agree that Brian is most sensitive towards some topics from his past, so we'll prolly have a good list of don't's for his category. I'd like to discuss what items would be great topic for conversation that perhaps that particular Beach Boy has never given his point of view or discussed with the public. I'd also like to discuss what items would not be to one's benefit for asking and why it wouldn't be a good idea. And of course, I'd love to hear your list of do's and don't's for interviewing.

For your advantage, I would recommend that we stick with the present day of interviewing topics, but I know some wanna get Carl and Denny into the picture, so...so I guess pick any era for them.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:34:00 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »

Number one rule for interviewing Brian is to refrain from asking questions with a yes/no answer.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »

Interviewing Brian

Don't
I think we all figure that there's a certain amount of topics that Brian has talked about for years and is prolly tired of discussing them, this might go for the other guys, but then again, I think Al and Bruce are just happy to get a little spotlight here and there, no matter the topic.

Smile- Since Smile's release along with documentaries and interviews, I feel Brian and interviewers have explored every aspect of Smile that Brian may have grown tired of telling the same stories and ideas. Yes, perhaps there are some aspects that we (the Smiley Smilers) would love to get the mystery solved, and I'm not here to discuss what they are, sure, you can bring em up, I'm just stating that the typical interviewer isn't always as informed as we hardcore fans are. But with Smile brings up the topic of Smiley Smile and Lei'd In Hawaii. So is it legit to go to that aspect? We haven't really heard modern Brian speak of the album or that time era as much. Well, I guess if the conversation links to the topic, it might be cool.

Bootlegs- I know this is pretty obvious, but I know first hand about it. I once posted on the Bloo-board about the Sea of Tunes CD boxed set and if it was available; at the time of my innocence in BB/BW world, I had no idea it was a boot. So it happen to be one of those few times Brian was on the board and replied to me that it was 'not cool' to post about those types of items. Heck, at the time, I didn't really know what a boot was.
Moving along, perhaps when talking to Brian you bring up an unreleased recording (though Brian may remember or not it's been released). He asks: "How did you hear that recording?" How do you respond to that? Of course, I'm sure Brian's band is guilty of owning/listening to these recordings as well. I'd love to see Darian and Nick's collection.

Landy- Brian has discussed him a lot after the breakup of Brian and Dr. Landy. But I'd like to say after 2000, Brian didn't discuss him much, but I could be totally wrong, (and I expect someone to correct me!) This begs the question (at least in my mind): is it legit to discuss music that surrounded the Landy era/situation? Sure, the first era is discussed a lot (15 Big Ones and so on). But the main era we think of when it comes to Landy dominating his life. Did Brian ever discuss the music of that era after they disbanded? Sure he discussed a lot of that material when he was with Landy. But I'd love to hear what Brian has to say after the Landy years about that music. I know Brian has discussed Sweet Insanity as a whole "being stolen." But beyond that, the songs, I have no idea. I'd love to hear Brian discuss the Gary Usher sessions, Male Ego, Metal Beach, In My Car, and so on. As I wanted to add BW88 being discussed, I'm pretty sure there was an interview or some sort of liner notes in the re-release of BW88.

Past Collaborators on Melinda's merda List- From what I know, it's really just Andy Paley and Joe Thomas. But with the hush hush surrounding those topics, I'm not surprised we don't hear anything about what happen. I guess I'd have to use Melinda as a filter before I talk to Brian.   Roll Eyes

Do
For the Do section, it's more of a suggestion box of what creative topics that generally are discussed or asked with Brian.

Abandoned/Random Projects- I think I could go on for days about what hasn't been discussed concerning this topic. From stuff that we've heard very little about and hasn't seen the light of day since it was recorded (like the Cows in the Pasture album with Fred Vail or the song Basketball Rock). But the random side projects Brian had going on throughout the years are so interesting and overlooked through documentaries/books/interviews. Starts with American Spring to Redwood to the Cocaine Sessions to Adult Child to any work from late 73-75.

Past Collaborators- Sure we hear about VDP association with Smile and Tony Asher association with Pet Sounds. But what about his work with Jack Rieley? Tandyn Almer? 80's collab with Gary Usher? Stephen Kalinich? Diane Rovell? Ron Altbach? Breakaway with Murry? Tony Asher, discuss beyond PS (Everything I Need, This isn't Love, and Country Feeling)?
Guest collaborators: Jeff Lynne, Paul Schaffer, Jan Berry, Russ Titleman, Lindsey Buckingham, Rick Henn, or Carol Bayer Sager?

Shortenin' Bread- Ask and see if even Brian knows how many tunes he's recorded that riff in. He'd prolly just go into a version of Metal Beach right then and there.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:30:05 AM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:23:17 PM »

Do: offer Brian burgers/cake for good answers.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:42:05 PM »

Do: offer Brian burgers/cake for good answers.

Grin
good call!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »

Not only cake, but during that Facebook thing a while ago he seemed awfully excited talking about using his Love You-era Moog sound too... so a good 'do' seems to be discussing Love You -- and, really, it should be discussed more because it's awesome!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »

Interviewing Al

Don't

Dentistry- Don't go Near that topic.

Murry- Father Knows Best?

Feet- Mentioning feet and Velcro shoes would just be in poor taste and he might just end up writing another song about it.

Do

Curious Amount of Covers- I'm wondering if he's ever discussed how many cover he is responsible for in the Beach Boy catalog, whether it's a lead vocal or production or his idea. I think the list goes as: Cotton Fields, Sloop John B, School Days, Peggy Sue, Runaway, Crocodile Rock, The Times They are Changin', Lady Liberty (to an extent), and Shake, Rattle, and Roll.

Susie Cincinnati-I'd love to find out what he was trying to accomplish by adding this as a b-side to at least 3 singles and finally throwing it on 15 Big Ones.

Monkey- I'd like to know if he realizes he looked like a monkey for the better part of his life.

Crack at Your Love-Do find out the real meaning of this song.

Involvement with Albums- In all seriousness, I'd love to hear about his involvement on the albums where he is prevalent throughout and gets to shine through his writing: Holland, Surf's Up, Friends, Sunflower, etc.

Loop De Loop- I would like to hear a history of his working on this from Brian's Sail Plane Song to Santa's Got an Airplane to Al's final mix presented on the Endless Harmony soundtrack. I'd like to hear how many albums he proposed it for and who vetoed it and why.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:48:23 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »

Bruce. He will remind you he wrote 'I Write The Songs' and use the word 'cool' so often you think its 1966.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »

I don't know if this has made the rounds online or not, but the biggest interview faux pas I have ever seen was a local news anchor (from Buffalo, I think) in 1979 asking Brian at a record signing party about his involvement with Charles Manson.  Brian recovers half decently with: "none, actually, I don't know what you're talking about" then Al physically intervenes and tells the reporter, politely but tersely and through gritted teeth, to get lost.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »

I don't know if this has made the rounds online or not, but the biggest interview faux pas I have ever seen was a local news anchor (from Buffalo, I think) in 1979 asking Brian at a record signing party about his involvement with Charles Manson.  Brian recovers half decently with: "none, actually, I don't know what you're talking about" then Al physically intervenes and tells the reporter, politely but tersely and through gritted teeth, to get lost.

Kinda surprised Brian didn't start talking about all the tracks he produced.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »

Curious Amount of Covers- I'm wondering if he's ever discussed how many cover he is responsible for in the Beach Boy catalog, whether it's a lead vocal or production or his idea. I think the list goes as: Cotton Fields, Sloop John B, School Days, Peggy Sue, Runaway, Crocodile Rock, The Times They are Changin', Lady Liberty (to an extent), and Shake, Rattle, and Roll.

And come to think of it, a lot of Al's "originals" aren't all that original.
- At My Window: loosely based on ''Raspberries, Strawberries' by the Kingston Trio.
- Beaks of Eagles: features a poem by Robinson Jeffers.
- California: bassline sounds an awful lot like the one from California Girls.
- Christmas Time is Here Again: Peggy Sue with new lyrics.
- Kona Coast: chorus borrows heavily from Hawaii.
- Lady Lynda: based on Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach.
- California Calling: Surfin' USA Part 2.
- Island Girl: loosely based on Whispering Bells by the Del-Vikins.
- PT Cruiser: a total rip-off of Shut Down and Little GTO.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:17:32 PM »

- At My Window: loosely based on ''Raspberries, Strawberries' by the Kingston Trio.

GOOD CALL!
That's a quite a list.
Also, Loop De Loop is based on Brian's Sail Plane Song.
And aren't some of Al's songs on his new album loosely based on/around other songs? Idk, because I haven't har it yet.

What's left in Al's canon after all these cover-based songs?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 12:00:58 AM »

one more very evident example for "using" someone else´s song:

- Lookin´ At Tomorrow (A Welfare Song): The Wanderer (by the Kingston Trio)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 01:27:44 AM »

I've seen that. Al was not impressed. I'm amazed the TV station didn't edit it out of the broadcast.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 01:46:31 AM »

Brian, what's your friend Bob up to nowadays?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 02:56:16 AM »

Indeed. Lend an ear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1poFkCG2NE.

Also, there's the most obvious of all, "Postcard From California/Rhinestone Cowboy".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 03:30:36 AM »

Also, there's the most obvious of all, "Postcard From California/Rhinestone Cowboy".

Heck, I don't see how anything could be more obvious than the Wanderer( now that you posted that); Is there a statute of limitations for outright stealing someone's song? He's so fine....   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 05:01:06 AM »

Heck, I don't see how anything could be more obvious than the Wanderer( now that you posted that); Is there a statute of limitations for outright stealing someone's song? He's so fine....   

Tell you a faintly amusing tale about that - couple of friends of mine used to frequent a folk club and play obscure BB tracks just for the yucks, and pretty much got away with it. One day they played "Lookin' At Tomorrow", and nearly got lynched for playing a Kingston Trio number... and they couldn't understand why people kept saying this, until someone played the 'original' for them.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 05:37:08 AM »

Plus "Everyday" by Buddy Holly

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 06:17:53 AM »

And "Rhinestone Cowboy" lifts a part of its verse melody from "Sloop John B."
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »

Indeed! How could he not get sued for this?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 07:24:15 AM »

Poor Al is having a rough black Friday ! The board has taken a collective crap on everything he's done for the past 45 years..ouch!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »

Poor Al is having a rough black Friday ! The board has taken a collective crap on everything he's done for the past 45 years..ouch!

I like what he's done, it's just opened my eyes towards his inspiration.
I still like Al's stuff more than Bruce's and Mike's solo stuff (with or without the beach boys)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 08:21:48 AM »

No, Al's cool. He's just not the most original songwriter, but so what? We have a saying here in the Netherlands: "Beter goed gejat dan slecht bedacht", which means something like "Better stolen well than created badly." Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »

There's still a difference between stealing and adapting.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx