gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:46:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys music collecting:Can This Really Be The End?  (Read 10673 times)
PhilCohen
« on: November 13, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »

I'm a loyal Beach Boys fan, collecting their recordings since 1968, and I've got all of the officially released recordings(at least up until Brian Wilson left the group), and all of the Capitol & Brother unreleased material that has ever escaped onto bootlegs. Of course, I've bought all of the Mark Linett-mixed/compiled archival CD's that Capitol has released, however, subsequent to 2008 there have been no more archival CD's, though it wasn't for a lack of effort by Mr.Linett.  If the surviving Beach Boys are not going to permit any further archival projects(and it now known that they won't permit any archival projects for the group's 50th anniversary), then I guess this is the end of the road after more than four decades of collecting. Maybe with the future of Capitol's parent company EMI in question, Capitol is in no condition to release any more Beach Boys CD product. And perhaps Brian Wilson & Mike Love simply don't need the money that these archival projects would have generated.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »

That's the saddest post I ever read. Let's hope your wrong...I think in time more music will see the light of day- if we learned anything from this band it is to expect the unexpected.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »

I'm going to move this into the main forum, because I think this is a subject that could produce a wonderful discussion.

I was wondering the same thing myself. For me, the holy grail of unreleased recordings I must hear before I die are two '74 recordings...California Feeling and Lucy Jones. Apart from those two and a few others listed on Bellagio, there's nothing really left, at least out of stuff that still exists.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »

If the surviving Beach Boys are not going to permit any further archival projects(and it now known that they won't permit any archival projects for the group's 50th anniversary)

Really ? I would dearly love to know your source for such a sweeping statement, contentious as it is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:37:56 AM »

A wise AG e D man once told me there is plaenty more out there to hear

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »

Same guy told me exactly the same... with the rider that some of it really wasn't worth hearing.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:52:12 AM »

Been wondering the same thing tho'  - after decades of buying almost exclusively BBs and related stuff, I've more recently been collecting Neil Young, The Beatles, and Bob Dylan. I know it's frustration at the lack of Beach Boys product cos I don't even like The Beatles and Bob Dylan.*

I still hope there'll be a monster box out for Christmas 2011.

* If I find myself collecting Elton John, then I'll know there's no hope whatsoever.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:26:31 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 03:23:37 AM »

If the surviving Beach Boys are not going to permit any further archival projects(and it now known that they won't permit any archival projects for the group's 50th anniversary)

Really ? I would dearly love to know your source for such a sweeping statement, contentious as it is.

I was thinking the same thing...
RollPlymouthRock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »

I'm going to move this into the main forum, because I think this is a subject that could produce a wonderful discussion.

I was wondering the same thing myself. For me, the holy grail of unreleased recordings I must hear before I die are two '74 recordings...California Feeling and Lucy Jones. Apart from those two and a few others listed on Bellagio, there's nothing really left, at least out of stuff that still exists.

California Feeling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAqa-Aa0CKI (i think...)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 06:12:20 AM »

California Feeling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAqa-Aa0CKI (i think...)

Nope, this is a later recording (1978), not the original 1974 recording Billy is talking about. The recording from 1974 hasn't been booted.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:14:00 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 07:33:01 AM »

Same guy told me exactly the same... with the rider that some of it really wasn't worth hearing.  Roll Eyes

Then somebody has to "take the bull by the horns" ! 
If the people that have the still unreleased songs would just start posting them (say one every 6 months? ) to a sendspace or similar, even if they were removed quickly, they'd start circulating. that might push Brian, Mike, whomever to release approved versions. Hey, what can it hurt?!
Wish I had some to get it started... 

The only other scenario I see: a glut of releases by the widows. ( Mike will have how many?)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »

If the people that have the still unreleased songs would just start posting them (say one every 6 months? ) to a sendspace or similar, even if they were removed quickly, they'd start circulating. that might push Brian, Mike, whomever to release approved versions. Hey, what can it hurt?!

The only other scenario I see: a glut of releases by the widows. ( Mike will have how many?)

A "widow," generally speaking is "validly married" in the jurisdiction (not including common law, without a legally recognized ceremony) at the time of her spouse's death...

Former or "ex-wives" are "former spouses" ("former spouse" is a more "civilized" term, in my opinion) and not "widows."

Without getting into all the legal terminology, there is only one "widow."  (not legal advice)  Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 12:48:17 PM »

A "widow," generally speaking is "validly married" in the jurisdiction (not including common law, without a legally recognized ceremony) at the time of her spouse's death...

Former or "ex-wives" are "former spouses" ("former spouse" is a more "civilized" term, in my opinion) and not "widows."

Without getting into all the legal terminology, there is only one "widow."  (not legal advice)  Wink

huh

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jason
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »

Only Mormons and radical Muslims can have more than one widow. sh*t, Idi Amin had quite a few!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »

Only Mormons and radical Muslims can have more than one widow. merda, Idi Amin had quite a few!

I tried to keep the definition ''narrow" because marriage, divorce and family law in general are changing and evolving so quickly. 

Generally in a traditional marriage, and some US states have "enlarged that scope" (not to include plural or successive marriages)
but there is only "one surviving spouse."    Wink

Mike, thankfully, looks robust and  in glowing health and does not look as if he is going "anywhere celestial," any time soon.   Wink 
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »

I'm a loyal Beach Boys fan, collecting their recordings since 1968, and I've got all of the officially released recordings(at least up until Brian Wilson left the group), and all of the Capitol & Brother unreleased material that has ever escaped onto bootlegs. Of course, I've bought all of the Mark Linett-mixed/compiled archival CD's that Capitol has released, however, subsequent to 2008 there have been no more archival CD's, though it wasn't for a lack of effort by Mr.Linett.  If the surviving Beach Boys are not going to permit any further archival projects(and it now known that they won't permit any archival projects for the group's 50th anniversary), then I guess this is the end of the road after more than four decades of collecting. Maybe with the future of Capitol's parent company EMI in question, Capitol is in no condition to release any more Beach Boys CD product. And perhaps Brian Wilson & Mike Love simply don't need the money that these archival projects would have generated.

If you are a bona fide Beach Boys collector, then I assume you have all the Japan Pastmasters releases of the Capitol albums?  When there isn't "new" (or newly released old) material to collect, you can collect different releases of the same material that are significantly different in sound.  The Pastmasters were made from flat transfers of the master tapes, without EQ or noise reduction - and so are the most accurate releases reflecting the sound of the original tape masters.  Then there's the DCC and/or Audio Fidellity Pet Sounds, which are a no brainer for a collector and which I assume you have.

A true BB collector needs to have some vinyl as well - the Austrailian Rarities, for example, and even more important the otherwise unavailable Brian mixed mono masters of Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, SHut Down Vol 2, the Christmas album, All Summer Long, Little Deuce Coupe.

These are all worth collecting, but if you still aren't satisfied, there's the 45 picture sleeves!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »

Not to mention the numerous songs that have single (often mono) mixes that differ significantly from the album (usually stereo) mixes, making them worthwhile to track down in their own right.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »

Hold up. So is there any reasonable source that says we won't be getting any unreleased material next year? Or is this just all conjecture. I could think of quite a few things I'd love to hear....say "California Feelin'"  from '74 and "Where Is She?". I'd be pretty happy if I heard those 2. And possibly anymore Brian vocals from before the major voice change.

Anyways, I have to imagine there must be some kinda rarities thing coming. Many of the top tier artists has done it at least once, or possibly many times by now....Elvis Costello, The Band, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, etc. The guys really just skirted the surface on the box set. And the 70's two-fers didn't even have any unreleased tracks. I think at least a new double albums worth of strictly unreleased material would be great. Or maybe straight album reissues with bonus tracks making up for the usually very short running times.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 06:00:54 PM »

It would make the most sense, obviously, to re-release all of their albums from 1962-77 (or up to 1985 for those of you that actually like what came after, God forbid) in deluxe editions. The first disc could be the album proper in mono and/or stereo (where applicable), and the second disc could be album- and era-related B-sides, outtakes, rarities, and so on. This would be especially useful as, if I'm remembering correctly, someone here mentioned that all the twofers are now out-of-print -- and it'd allow folks to get to know the BBs again a little more completely and accurately as some delightful historical revisionism, showcasing how worthwhile they were musically even if they were grossly under-appreciated from 1967 onwards (and still are to this day as we know all too well here). The liner notes would, of course, take a historical approach to the group and their music while at the same time looking at their contemporary influence too.

Yeah, I know this will definitely not happen but... it did for The Monkees, and surely The Beach Boys warrant such a treatment too. This should have happened already, frankly...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »

a bit off topic, but is there anything in the Beatles archives worth releasing that might see the light of day?
I know the Let it Be film (with loads of outtakes and features) is in order.
But musically is there anything else out there?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »

Lots of unreleased material.   Live, boots, soundboards, commercial spots..enough for several releases;  ...all ripe for a clean up and official release with nice packaging.

Another box is in order as well.  The Byrds did it.  Why not the Beachboys?

Do the owners of this material ever visit this or any other websites where the worldclass diehard fans reside?

Might not sell a million but would certainly be a shot in the arm for the catalogue and the brand in general.

But WTF do I know?   I'm the guy who said the cameo parkway catalogue should have been released 10 years sooner.  Instead it was released with a whimper , too late, too little fanfare, instead of when those who might have enjoyed hearing this in the hayday of oldies radio were still alive/listening.

If not now .....WHEN?Huh
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 09:50:27 PM »

a bit off topic, but is there anything in the Beatles archives worth releasing that might see the light of day? I know the Let it Be film (with loads of outtakes and features) is in order. But musically is there anything else out there?

Among other things, the 22 minute jam session of Helter Skelter and Carnival of Light. There's some things that didn't make the cut on Anthology in 1995. And if they did an SOT type release of the Beatles sessions in the 60's or a live box, that would be something. There's a TON of unreleased cuts from the White, Get Back/Let It Be sessions. 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »

a bit off topic, but is there anything in the Beatles archives worth releasing that might see the light of day? I know the Let it Be film (with loads of outtakes and features) is in order. But musically is there anything else out there?

Among other things, the 22 minute jam session of Helter Skelter and Carnival of Light. There's some things that didn't make the cut on Anthology in 1995. And if they did an SOT type release of the Beatles sessions in the 60's or a live box, that would be something. There's a TON of unreleased cuts from the White, Get Back/Let It Be sessions. 

Yeah, I've heard a lot of the Get Back era stuff, but there's still some stuff I haven't heard. Carnival of Light is like the holy grail of unreleased stuff for the Beatles; but I've heard it's not really that good, that Revolution 9 was ten times better. I've got the Anthology outtakes, it's really good, though I was disappointed as it stopped after Magical Mystery Tour/Across the Universe.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

Revolution 9 is in circulation now.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 11:58:13 PM »

Revolution 9 is in circulation now.

right, the comparison was to show another sound collage song, in this case, Lennon's Revolution 9 being superior to Macca's Carnival of Light...or so I've heard, I don't really know that.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx