gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:39:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things are Changing (for the better)  (Read 2475 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:14 PM »

I thought people might be interested in this interview (from 1984) I stumbled upon where the producer of Thing are Changing for the Better talks about the track.  I had always thought Phil had produced it, and that Brian had played piano on it, but it seems that neither is true.  What this interview with the songs actual producer makes clear though, at least in my head, was that the track which Phil famously kicked Brian off of as piano player can't have been the public service announcement, since Spector didn't have anything to do with it really, and must have been an actual attempt at Don't Hurt My Little Sister.  Oh the tapes that may or may not exist out there!! 

The relevant portion of the interview: 
What can you tell us about the public service song 'Things Are Changing'?

My goodness! My wife has been working for Dr Landy, who is Brian Wilson's shrink, and I've been telling her about this song that I wrote with Phillip and Brian, but I couldn't remember the title of it! Phillip originally started the song with Brian, but it was just a chorus or something, nothing to do with the lyrics. I made the track and produced one version, with Darlene, I believe.

From what's been said, Brian wrote a song called 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister'.

Yes, that's right.

Was that version ever recorded?

I don't know about that. I know it started out as a piece Brian had written and Phillip had worked on it with him. But then the government wanted this piece, so I took it and rewrote it and produced the track on it, which is very much a 'Spector' type of track.

In the studio, did you set up the instruments and the people the same way Phil did?

Oh, yes. He used about twenty rhythm. He used four keyboards, all playing the same thing. He used two or three bass players, all playing the same thing. Several rhythm guitars, all playing the same strum. It makes for such a huge 'Wall Of Sound'. Several drummers, several people playing tambourines! Just tambourines! The sound was mostly dependent on the right amount of echo blend, the right amount of doubling of instruments. But instead of doubling them like we do nowadays, playing them twice, because we only had three tracks in those days, we did it all at once.

How did you get the 'Things Are Changing' assignment?

Well, basically I was working with Phillip and he didn't want to deal with it. He kept saying, "You take the call, you talk to them". So finally, not only did I end up dealing with the government for him, I ended up producing the track and taking over the whole deal.

http://www.spectropop.com/HOTB/HOTBpart3.htm

Thoughts?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:34:09 PM »

Just the fact that his wife worked for Landy makes everything he says suspicious.
Couple that with his claiming he rewrote the song and he doubts it's even a Brian song and , well, He should probably be sitting with Phil in a looney bin , where they can regale each other, while they each try to make up a better story to top. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:35:10 AM »

Has to be noted that some of Jerry Riopelle's claims and recollections are strongly contested.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »

My understanding is that Phil produced the track, and Jerry produced the vocals.  He may very well have rewritten the words to be a public service ad as he said.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »

My understanding is that Phil produced the track, and Jerry produced the vocals.  He may very well have rewritten the words to be a public service ad as he said.
And had he stuck to claiming a rewrite of the words, I might believe a few more words that have come out of his mouth

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »

If you look hard enough on YouTube you can find a track-only version for "Things are Changing", complete with the count-in -- apparently from a leaked session tape.  The only problem is that the version on there has been artificially overdubbed by some aspiring musician with modern percussion and fake keyboard horns to make it stereo, and then strangely edited.  I actually took that version and stripped the overdubs, and re-edited it to match the record.  It actually came out OK, wouldn't you say Andrew?   Smiley

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:31:20 AM »

If you look hard enough on YouTube you can find a track-only version for "Things are Changing", complete with the count-in -- apparently from a leaked session tape.  The only problem is that the version on there has been artificially overdubbed by some aspiring musician with modern percussion and fake keyboard horns to make it stereo, and then strangely edited.  I actually took that version and stripped the overdubs, and re-edited it to match the record.  It actually came out OK, wouldn't you say Andrew?   Smiley

Lee

Why not just post it on Sendspace and save everyone the trouble of reworking it themselves?

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:36 AM »

Chris, I thought I already sent it to you...

I'd be happy to respond to anyone who Perhaps Manages to contact me...

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »

Chris, I thought I already sent it to you...

I'd be happy to respond to anyone who Perhaps Manages to contact me...

Lee

What, I should remember? You may have, But I don't recall having it about. Besides, are you even allowed to talk to me anymore?

Seriously tho, it would  be easier for you to just post a Sendscape link. You're much better at that stuff than I am, and still, I've done a bunch of them, so it'd be kidstuff for you. Save you a lot of PMing...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »

Lee

It was very good.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:21 PM »

Can't remember where I read that Brian was kicked out of a Christmas Album session.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »

Has to be noted that some of Jerry Riopelle's claims and recollections are strongly contested.

Just out of curiosity - could you elaborate a bit on this Andrew?

Like others here I really doubt that the melody started out as a Brian / Phil / Jerry Riopelle collaboration like Jerry indicates. But I'm positive that Jerry's claim of producing 'Things are Changing' is true. Remember, he was Phil's in house protegee at the time and was very capable of nailing the Wall of Sound. Take a listen to his production on 'Home of the Brave' by Bonnie and the Treasures for proof. It was issued by one of Spector's labels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCPLU-sgZw

I've heard rumours of a Spanish language version of Things are Changing sung by a Mexican girl singer, I believe. Has anyone come across this version? Besides the Blossoms, the song was sung by the Supremes and Jay & the Americans.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 02:19:44 PM »

I've heard rumours of a Spanish language version of Things are Changing sung by a Mexican girl singer, I believe. Has anyone come across this version? Besides the Blossoms, the song was sung by the Supremes and Jay & the Americans.

Finding a copy may be a chore. Here's what I've found regarding the recording: 

>>Robert Tirado, December 9, 1998-Spectropop V#0192
Yes, there was a 45 produced in Puerto Rico with Lucecita and Julio Angel in the 60's. I recall the 45 in those days. On one of my many trips there, I had befriended Lucecita.
Phil Spector and Chappell Music along with Trio, Screen Gems, etc. were going to sue Lucecita's manager Alfred D. Herger because he had recorded in Spanish by Lucecita (Lucy) "Be My Baby", "Then He Kissed Me" and a few others in the respective catalog of each company - and because Herger had not paid licensing and royalty fees. Remember, Lucecita was an up and coming singer and really an ingenue in the field. Same with Julio Angel. They all went to the Tribuna (court in PR) and all parties settled out of court. Part of Phil Spector's settlement besides the $$$$, was that Herger record both Lucecita and Julio Angel in "Things Are Changing". This was done expediently in such a fashion that the nearly broke Herger asked Phil if he could use the backing tracks of the Supremes and Phil relented. (Rumor had it that Phil owed the IRS $$$ and he would take this Spanish version of "Things..." as a loss not knowing that Puerto Rico favored Lucecita's version so much that bootleg copies were done since only 80 45 copies were produced and only for the radio stations. <<

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 02:38:40 PM »

The "Lucecita" in question is one "Lucecita Benitez", a well-known Puerto Rican singer.  Julio Angel was another Puerto Rican singer.  I have tried contacting several record dealers in Puerto Rico for even a tape of their version, but no one seems to know anything about it.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »

The "Lucecita" in question is one "Lucecita Benitez", a well-known Puerto Rican singer.  Julio Angel was another Puerto Rican singer.  I have tried contacting several record dealers in Puerto Rico for even a tape of their version, but no one seems to know anything about it.

Lee

If I REALLY wanted a copy (I don't care that much!) I'd try to find the Spector collectors "with the mostest". I'd bet they have copies, a tape at least; tho I don't have a clue as to whom they are. 

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »

The "Lucecita" in question is one "Lucecita Benitez", a well-known Puerto Rican singer.  Julio Angel was another Puerto Rican singer.  I have tried contacting several record dealers in Puerto Rico for even a tape of their version, but no one seems to know anything about it.

Lee

If I REALLY wanted a copy (I don't care that much!) I'd try to find the Spector collectors "with the mostest". I'd bet they have copies, a tape at least; tho I don't have a clue as to whom they are.  

Believe me, even the most obsessive Spector collectors will most likely only have heard about this rumoured version but never actually listened to it. As a matter of fact, all this talk made me pull out my copy of 'Collecting Phil Spector - the Man, the Legend and the Music' by John Fitzpatrick and James Fogerty. It's a very rare reference / discography type of book from 1991 written by two hardcore Spector experts with the help of likeminded collectors. Here's the paragraph on Things are Changing:

"One of the most collectible of all Spector productions, this track is also among the rarest. It was issued only as a radio promo by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The backing track, originally intended for a proposed Ronettes version of the Beach Boys' 'Don't Hurt my Little Sister', was produced by Spector with Brian Wilson on piano. When that project was not completed, Spector kept the tapes and later used them as a contribution to the EEOC campaign to increase employment of minority youth.
The song 'Things are Changing' was recorded over Spector's track by the Blossoms, Supremes and Jay and the Americans. (A rumoured fourth version, supposedly sung in Spanish by Julio Angel and Lucecita, remains unverified.) Jerry Riopelle recorded the Blossoms over Spector's track in the only release of the song by Spector's organization. The Supremes and Jay and the Americans releases are also rare, though they lack the interest of the Blossoms record for Spector collectors."

So I stand corrected in terms of Riopelle producing the actual backing track - according to these guys, Spector was in charge of the session... And the book where this info is taken from is from 1991 whereas the Riopelle interview is from 1984, so new info probably came to light between his claims and the Spector book
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:53:46 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx