gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:22:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GV-fadeout: Why is it so short?  (Read 3408 times)
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2006, 05:03:31 AM »

I´m talking about the 66'-version, btw. It ends so suddenly. When I heard it at the radio I always assumed that it was some kind of edit done by the radio-people, so that they could start the next song faster. I was really surprised when I found out that it was actually the way Brian recorded it.

Is there any story to this?

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 05:48:06 AM »

I guess Brian just wanted it that way....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:42:29 AM »

The version on the DCC Gold Endless Summer CD is a few seconds longer.In other words, the finished mix does go on a bit longer than the familiar single version.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 06:47:01 AM »

Wasn't the song long for a single in the 60's?  Maybe someone thought lopping off a few seconds of the tag might help shorten the song and make it more suitable for airplay?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:36:39 AM »

Yeah, it's 3:39 as it is, which is very long for a mid-60s single. Funnily enough, Heroes and Villains is the exact same length!

Watch out for snakes!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 08:55:54 AM »

I always figured it faded out fast before the other instrumentation dropped in. They let it run out a little longer on BWPS.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 10:46:01 AM »

I thought he was going for that familiar feeling of the song flying off into a whole other universe. Tomorrow Never Knows by dem Beeowls acheived a similar effect at the end of that song.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 02:14:39 AM »

"They let it run out a little longer on BWPS."

Thank God they did! That extended fade-out is one of my favourite parts of the whole record. It could go on forever, imo.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 12:50:08 PM »

Yeah, I've always been of the impression that Brian was already a little wary of the song's length preventing it from significant airplay, so made sure the fade happened quick.  The single mix of "Fun, Fun, Fun" had a fairly quick fade out ending as well (as opposed to the longer LP version fade). I always wanted the GV  fade to go on longer and would often crossfade the ending to the tracking session material for that purpose.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 06:11:12 PM »

I think the fadeout is short because of all the reasons mentioned here, but also perhaps because the fadeout marked the beginning of what had been a completely different section -- the part with a symphonic feeling that was first heard in the "Best Summers of Our Lives" radio special in '76 -- and if it hadn't stopped about right there, it would have launched into yet another direction.  So he stopped the single at 3:35.

And because it sounded right that way, too.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 01:54:18 AM »

I didn't notice it until this thread.

Now I can't escape it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »

I didn't notice it until this thread.

Now I can't escape it.

Sometimes it actually bothers me. I feel that if the crop had been done a little less harsh then I could thoroughly enjoy the fade. It just cuts, ZIP, right out of the song.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx