gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:18:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Between Keepin' The Summer Alive & 1985's The Beach Boys  (Read 9133 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »

A few quotes by Mike:  1) Sept 4 1981 while down in Florida to play a solo show-Mike said in the Miami News: "I disagree with what Carl says about the band. I think that people that come to see the Beach Boys want to hear our old stuff.  I think your doing them and yourself a big disservice if you kid yourself into thinking they don't want to hear those songs."
On Carl's absence-Mike quoted in Syracuse Herald Journal on Aug 28 1981: "We have all the musical parts covered. Musically an individual Beach Boy is not missed. When you're singing background, you're not really missed."  As far as Carl's complaints about playing Vegas and Tahoe: Mike said in the same interview that "he doesn't mind playing to crowds at places like Las Vegas...A lot of the Beach Boys original fans are in their 30s and 40s and don't want to put up with the bump and grind of, say, a festival seating show in Madison Square Garden. 'There are millions of people in that category now'"
In many interviews at the time-Mike shied away from saying that Carl had really quit-usually he stated that Carl was just taking a break to do a solo tour and they wished him the best with it.  However, when Mike said this in Spring 81-he also said Carl would be back in Fall 81 and he wasn't.  By March 82 Mike was a little more critical-telling the St Pete Times: "You don't have to fold up an institution to do your own thing. He could have done both."  It may have gotten more heated-but actually Carl was back for some Canadian shows at the end of March and back for good by May.

The Syracuse quote had to have been for the show I saw, which was the New York State Fair, Sept. 5, 1981 (IIRC).
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

...AGD says Sept. 2.  I'll go with AGD.
Bill Ed
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:08 PM »

On Carl's absence-Mike quoted in Syracuse Herald Journal on Aug 28 1981: "We have all the musical parts covered. Musically an individual Beach Boy is not missed. When you're singing background, you're not really missed." 

By March 82 Mike was a little more critical-telling the St Pete Times: "You don't have to fold up an institution to do your own thing. He could have done both." 

It does seem Mr. Love's perspective changed radically during this period. Initially he's saying that Carl-the-background-singer won't really be missed, but by spring of '82 he equates his absence with the folding of an institution.

My belief was that Carl had had enough of the Beach Boys' lack of commitment and his going on his own for awhile was partially in protest. He also wanted to make music that didn't conform to the Beach Boys' "brand" and that's what he did. He was quoted as saying that touring solo gave him a greater appreciation of what Mike did on stage, but I've never read that he returned "with his tail between his legs."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 02:33:04 PM »

"You don't have to fold up an institution to do your own thing. He could have done both." 

Yet four years earlier, Mike and his brothers wouldn't let Dennis do both...

gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »

Is it in Timothy White's book that it's mentioned that Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees was a proposed producer for the "Brothers, Cousins and Friends" album?  Is there any truth to this?  Or was this just an idea that was floated around...or maybe just unsubstantiated rumour?  I for one would have loved to see a Gibb/Wilson collaboration.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 03:27:10 PM »

Is it in Timothy White's book that it's mentioned that Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees was a proposed producer for the "Brothers, Cousins and Friends" album?  Is there any truth to this?  Or was this just an idea that was floated around...or maybe just unsubstantiated rumour?  I for one would have loved to see a Gibb/Wilson collaboration.

Barry Gibb, Paul McCartney, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Wonder, Val Garay, Milt Okun...the list goes on.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »

Barry Gibb, Paul McCartney, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Wonder, Val Garay, Milt Okun...the list goes on.
Buckingham?!?! Good God that could've been great!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »

I think given where Barry Gibb was at around '81, it would not have been a good collaboration, though it might have been a commercially fruitful one.  (Now Maurice Gibb would have been different -- he had a much more natural affinity for the BBs sensibility -- and he was newly sober at that time.  Might have been interesting)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 06:11:17 PM »

Stevie Wonder Vs. A late 70's Brian Wilson? The world as we know it would cease to exist  Grin

As an aside, who are Val Garay and Milt Okun? The wikipedia's are not especially illuminating.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »

Is it in Timothy White's book that it's mentioned that Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees was a proposed producer for the "Brothers, Cousins and Friends" album?  Is there any truth to this?  Or was this just an idea that was floated around...or maybe just unsubstantiated rumour?  I for one would have loved to see a Gibb/Wilson collaboration.

Stevie Wonder Vs. A late 70's Brian Wilson? The world as we know it would cease to exist  Grin

As an aside, who are Val Garay and Milt Okun? The wikipedia's are not especially illuminating.

I believe Val Garay was Kim Carnes' producer.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:59:03 PM by c-man » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »

Continuing my dip into the archives re: the Brothers, Cousins, and Friends era:

From June/September 1981 ASM:  "The release of a new Beach Boys album probably will not come about until early next year.  They have not been working in the studio", and a few paragraphs later, "Word of anything new from Brian or the band is rare.  Supposedly Brian has been writing, e.g. 'Sweetie" and "City Blues'.  There was a constant rumor of them trying to get into a studio to cut 'Sweetie' all during August".  "Sweetie" was in fact even mentioned in the brief interview the Boys did prior to their televised Long Beach concert on July 5th.  Mike said he wanted Brian to do the song (which he described as "really hot") that day, but they didn't get around to rehearsing it, with everything else they had to do.  This issue of ASM goes on to say "Incidentally, the recent Brian Wilson composition 'Stevie' was evidently recorded with Brian on the lead vocal, and produced by Dennis Wilson".  According to an AFM contract, horns were added to "Stevie" at a January 14th "Beach Boys" session at Sounds Good Recording.  

There is also an AFM contract for a Brian session at Gold Star in April, the song listed as "Untitled"; Diane Rovell served as contractor, and a few of the old Wrecking Crew players were present.  Interestingly, the artist on this one is listed as "Brian Wilson", not "Beach Boys", and the employer name is "Brother Records (Beach Bum)".  Beach Bum was Brian's publishing company.  

That summer, Bruce granted a phone interview to an AM radio station in North Platte, Nebraska.  In discussing Brian's current state, Bruce mentioned that with Carl out of the band temporarily, Brian had picked up some of his leads and had also taken to telling funny jokes onstage at appropriate times.  When asked about Brian doing studio work, Bruce artfully dodged the subject by replying "Well, we haven't recorded in a year", before quickly moving on to talk about the plans underway for a two-record anthology of the latter-day Beach Boys music (specifically mentioning "Disney Girls", "'Til I Die", and "Sail On Sailor"), that materialized later in the year as "Ten Years Of Harmony".  

Brad Elliott interviewed Bruce for the October 1981 issue of Goldmine.  On the subject of new Beach Boys music:
Brad: "I understand Brian's been in the studio, in and out recently, doing things like...I understand he cut 'Be My Baby'."
Bruce: "Oh yeah, that cut 'I'm A Man', 'Be My Baby'."
Brad: "Is 'I'm A Man' the oldie?"
Bruce: "No, this is a new song.  God, it's great, it is great.  He cut it at Mike's.  And he cut a song called 'Stevie'...Dennis produced it and it's really great.  Brian wrote it and sang it.  And Dennis produced it.  And it's really great, I think."
Brad: "What is the status of a new album, a studio album, this year?"
Bruce: "Hah.  Are you kidding?"
Brad: "No."
Bruce: "No.  Singles.  I'm trying to get everyone to go in and record 'Rock And Roll Lullabye', the B.J. Thomas record.  I think it would be a great hit for us, just the way 'Barbara Ann' was.  I think it's good to do an old outside song."
Brad: "So there are no plans for an album this year?"
Bruce: "Well, we'll have to.  And it'll come because we'll do groups of singles."
Brad: "When will it come?"
Bruce: "We wouldn't have an album out until the middle of the summer and that's probably too soon.  We're gonna start with some singles around May.  You know, the production gets passed around.  Maybe I won't be the producer.  Maybe it will be Guercio, 'cause it's his label.  You've seen the production pass around.  Ultimately, it should always be Brian, but sometimes he doesn't want to take the ball."  
Brad: "Is there a chance 'I'm A Man' will be a single?
Bruce: "Well, if I'm around, I'll get that onto the album...and 'Doo Ron Ron'".

Early in December, a trio of fans chatted with a cheerful, upbeat Brian in his hotel room in San Marcos, during the band's two-night run at the Circle Star Theatre.  When asked if they would be coming out with a new studio album soon, Brian replied "In awhile, yeah...in a month or two", then answered a question regarding "Sweetie" by saying "We have 'Sweetie' recorded, it's all recorded", then proceeding to sing a line from the unrelased song.  When asked who sings the lead, he replied "Me and Mike and Al, we all rotate".  On the question of Carl returning to the band, Brian stated "Yeah, he'll probably come to South Africa with us...Yeah, definitely, I think he'll come back...it's his only source of income" (FYI, Carl did not return for the South African shows).  When asked to comment on the then-current single release of "Come Go With Me" (pulled by CBS from "Ten Years Of Harmony"), which was currently climbing the charts, Brian said that the record company "had instincts that it would make it, and it did, and they're real proud of themselves...it looks like a big hit for us".  On the subject of that summer's hit "Beach Boys Medley", Brian stated "Oh, I was real proud of that...I made some money, and that's what's important...it builds your career, y'know, career-building...when you get a hit record, it's just one more feather in your cap...".  

The subject of Brian writing new material once again came up, at which point Brian mentioned both "Sweetie" and "Stevie", confirming that the latter is about Stevie Nicks, and proceeding to sing the first few lines of the song.  Shortly thereafter, he honored the fans' request to sing a bit of "Still I Dream Of It" (but denied that Stevie Wonder was planning on recording it), after which one of the fans said "We wanna see The Beach Boys progress", to which Brian responded earnestly, "I do too, I'd like to see the same thing (chuckling)".  But when asked about a solo album, Brian stated "I don't wanna do a solo album...I don't believe in doing a solo album...when you're a group member, and you're part of a famous group, I believe in following the group thing...keep it all in the group.  Yeah, I don't believe in spreading it thin, and making a solo album".  

In regards to Carl going out on his own, Brian opined "I think that was a foolish move, very risky too, 'cause you can't always get a hit album when you're a solo artist coming out of a group".  When asked if he liked Carl's album, Brian said "I liked two songs on it, one or two, 'Heaven' and one other one, I can't remember the other one...I like 'Heaven' very much".  Brian commented on seeing Carl live at the Roxy the previous April by saying "It was a good show...he's a good artist, a good entertainer, good performer, yeah".  One of the fans asked if Brian thought Carl really would be back for the South Africa concerts, and Brian said "Oh yeah, yeah he should".  One of the other fans goes on to say "He really adds a lot to the sound, on stage, on album especially, but on stage...he's got such a great voice, that just to fill that in, you really need that...I wish that he would come back", to which Brian just said "Yeah, yeah".  

Brian was then asked when the group was heading back to the studio, and kind of chuckled before replying "Uh we're going back in the studio, probably in just a couple...well...I'd like to go in this coming week, when we go back tomorrow (we go back tomorrow, to L.A.), and I'd like to go in Wednesday or Thursday, for about two or three days, and just knock out a couple songs, and get the album on the way.  We have quite a few songs, six or seven songs, that are half-way done, that are on the way done, so we could finish up an album in about three weeks if we got down to it".  When asked for more titles, Brian struggled to recall any besides "Sweetie" and "Stevie", but when asked if "Loop de Loop" was one that would be coming out soon, he said "No...we decided not to get into that...it's...it's not good enough, y'know?  We want something that's good out there...'Come Go With Me' sounds real good", then "Let me think...songs on the new album...oh, boy, where's my memory...well, Mike had 'Be My Baby' that was gonna be on there, but he put it on his album...and 'Calendar Girl' was gonna go on there and he put it on his album...there's one called 'Night Blooming Jasmine'...I wrote it".  When asked about "City Blues", Brian said "'City Blues' is a song that Dennis and I and a friend of his named Garby wrote together, which is pretty good...".  

The conversation turned to Dennis, who was sick and didn't play the previous night's show...Brian dialed his room to ask if he was going to play that night, and whether he was up to signing autographs for the fans.  While waiting for Dennis to answer, Brian named his two favorite Beach Boys albums as "Holland" and "Carl And The Passions - So Tough".  When asked if he liked the "MIU Album" at all, he replied "No, I was in a bad frame of mind during that time, I wasn't in a good space...no, I didn't like the whole bag at all".  After speaking with Dennis and advising him that a warm shower might help him feel better, Brian turned back to the fans with the bad news:  "He's in bed, he don't feel well, he might not make the show tonight, he didn't make it last night either.  Yeah, he doesn't feel well, he's got the flu or somethin'".  The three fans went on to praise the band's new music, to which Brian said "I hope you like 'Sweetie', because 'Sweetie''s real, uh...real cute...y'know, real cute song".  One fan said that they had talked to Mike earlier, who said he couldn't get Brian to sing it for the live show...Brian said "Yeah...I do the first verse, and I do all the bridges, and I do another verse...I do two verses and two bridges".  When asked if that entailed high singing or low singing, he replied "It's in the key of B, so...that's sort of a middle-range key, that's not a real high key for singing it...that's a pretty good mid-range key to sing in...it's a very moderate key...very nice key to sing in...the song goes along, right along, goes right along, y'know, and just keeps on pumpin', and just has a nice little mid-range beat, y'know, a medium beat...".  Wrapping up the visit, Brian stated that his two favorite songs he'd written were "Good Vibrations" ("because I like the way Mike sings the chorus, I like the way he sings, y'know") and "'Til I Die".

Brad Elliott's piece on the compiling of "Ten Years Of Harmony", published in the Winter 1982 issue of ASM, mentions "There was also talk of the group making a quick trip into the studio to cut 'Back In The U.S.S.R.'" as a possible bonus track for the compliation.

From Brad's book "Surf's Up:  The Beach Boys On Record 1961-1981", which came out at the end of the year:  "July 1980 Studio Recordings:  Brian and Mike spent a week at Mike's Santa Barbara home, where the former Lovesongs mobile recording unit had been permanently attached and dubbed WAVES (Western Audio-Visual Entertainment Services).  While there, the pair recorded tracks for seven songs - "Be My Baby", "River Deep Mountain High", "Greenback Dollar" (the Kingston Trio classic), "Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love?" (a rare Phil Spector-Ellie Greenwich-Jeff Barry composition) and three new songs, Mike's "Bucks" and "Children Of The Night" and Brian's "I'm A Man".  Brian played all keyboards, Ed Carter played bass and guitar and Bo Fox and the late Kim Calkins split the drumming chores.  Brian produced, with Jeff Peters engineering.  Vocals were recorded for three of the songs - "Be My Baby", "River Deep Mountain High" and "I'm A Man".  After returning to Los Angeles, Brian recorded instrumental tracks to several songs, including "My Solution" and "Shortenin' Bread" (again)".  Brad's book then mentions the "Stevie" recording session, and states "Also during the last half of the year, Alan recorded "Don't Fight The Sea".

Finally, the syndicated radio provider REX offered its subscriber stations two brief interviews with Mike:  the first, to air December 21st, titled "Beach Boys' Brian Wilson Not Cutting It?", and the second, to air the following day, titled "Mike (Beach Boys) Love Goes Solo".  The first segment went like this:  
Jeff Craig: "Beach Boys vocalist Mike Love is on sabbatical right now, so Rex asked about the future of the group - will The Beach Boys be back on the charts?"
Mike: "I think we will have some hits with The Beach Boys, because Brian's written some really fine tunes lately, um...he sometimes needs a little help in getting them across, because he doesn't have the verve or the stick-to-itiveness or the forcefulness that he once had, but he still has the creativity in terms of songwriting and arranging.  But as far as producing, he just doesn't care as much as he used to, about getting things right; he thinks that something that sounds like he did in the 1960s is good enough; he hasn't grown any, in the production level".  
And, from the second installment, Mike somewhat humourously explaining why he did a solo album in the first place:  
Mike: "Well, REX, let's face it, y'know, some of the other Beach Boys are getting older, and uh, just can't get it up for an album project, in fact it's been two years since we did an album project, and um - I have a little bit more energy than that.  We have done, with The Beach Boys, sporadic recordings, whimpy and feeble attempts, I might add, to come up with maybe a single or two.  With that in mind, REX, it was a very simple conclusion I drew that I better get off my buns and do an album".

More to come...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:48:57 AM by c-man » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 08:12:24 PM »

Your comments about the Syracuse show-the interview appeared in the Aug 28 paper-Mike was promoting the upcoming show while playing elsewhere.  The date of the show that we list at Bellagio is correct-I supplied all the concert data and have ads or reviews for almost all the shows from 1962-1992
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 01:20:03 AM »

I believe ya.  I know it was the first week of September. I have no problem believing it was the 2nd and not the 5th.  I suspect when and if I find the tape it will confirm you are correct, Ian.

I am getting ready to do some archival work on some old cassettes and it may be an opportunity to finally dig that tape out and digitize it.  Though I don't imagine it'll be very good listening, having been recorded on a $30 mono deck.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »

Here seems a fine place to point out that pretty much all of the info regarding the shows 1961-date at 10452 had very little to do with me: I just host the fruits of Ian's astonishing research. Likewise, the session info: I researched some of it, but the bulk comes from other sources, most notably Craig Slowinski. I'm just their messenger.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »

Ian and Craig's goshdarn messenger...

Point taken though, credit where credit is due.  Those guys are scary, I love it.  (People even wonkier and more obsessive than me)
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »

C-man,

I don't know how you find all this info, but many thanks for taking the time to post it here.  Now I really want to hear Stevie feat. Dennis' production.   I'm A Man might not be bad, either.

Interesting that 3 fans got all those off the cuff remarks from Brian.  I doubt Carl was very pleased if he knew Brian only liked 2 songs from his solo album.

I wonder if anyone knows what contributions Dennis & Garby made to "City Blues."  Perhaps they were discarded by the time Brian re-recorded it.  Sad that Dennis couldn't speak to those fans.
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »

Continuing my dip into the archives re: the Brothers, Cousins, and Friends era:

More to come...

Thanks for taking the time to type all that up, c-man.  That was some great stuff to read.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »

This thread is very interesting.

The recent release of Carl Wilson's 'Youngblood' CD stands as a great reminder that it might be argued — as was the case with 'Pacific Ocean Blue' in 1977 — that a Wilson should have led the charge with the next "Beach Boys" LP.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »

. . . Brian by that point only did one lead, on "Sloop John B," which he very deliberately mangled (first two lines vicious Mike Love imitation, last two lines Yosemite Sam imitation).  I seem to recall Mike got his revenge later.  It was quite simply the worst concert I ever saw by a major band. . . .

I... really want to hear this. As much as I'm sure I'd hate it if I were actually involved with him or The Beach Boys in any serious way, Brian committing such sabotage when he does something he doesn't want to do is really funny. LOL

I did actually tape the show on a cheap Radio Shack recorder I smuggled in.  I have it somewhere.  One of these days I'll transfer it over to digital, but the quality is not that great.

Ah man, we'd all still kill to hear it!!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx