gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:37:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Not War  (Read 4489 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:24:58 AM »

No, not the live boot, but the solo studio album by the BB front man, Mike Love. Here Mike comments on the album, which he hopes to have released:

from http://www.concertlivewire.com/interviews/beachint.htm

Love: I personally completed a CD of songs, one of which is called "Make Love Not War." Maybe I'll call the record Mike Love Not War, but it's not titled yet. The song laments the fact that human beings have to resort to the same warfare methods of solving problems, which hearkens back to the 60s and the anti-war chants. Some of the songs are very romantic, like "All the Love in Paris," the sort of celestial ballad "Love Like a Fairy Tale" and the sort of gospel "Unleash the Love." It's philosophical, spiritual and romantic all tied into one, which is reminiscent of us being in India with the Beatles- particularly George Harrison. We both celebrated our birthdays in 1968 as the Pisces Brothers since that's our sign.

A homage:

from http://uncanny1.blogspot.com/2005/10/unreleased-mike-love-album-should-stay.html

Saturday, October 22, 2005
Unreleased Mike Love Album Should Stay That Way

Mike Love – Mike Love, Not War (no label)

It’s no wonder that Mike Love has been unable to find a label willing to release this album. Mike Love, Not War is mediocre at best; certainly not great, but not completely awful, either. The lyrics are fairly banal. Given the fact that Love has been in the music business for over forty years, it’s surprising how pedestrian the lyrics sound. Any first year composer could do just as well. Unless you are a huge Mike Love fan, you need not worry about tracking down a copy of this disappointment of an album.

It’s pretty cheesy that Love ripped off the title of a bootleg for this album. Moreover, Mike Love, Not War doesn’t come close to sounding as good as any of Brian Wilson’s solo albums. The album features basic production with few flourishes, and has a demo feel throughout. All lead vocals are by Mike Love, except as noted.

from http://www.beachboys.com/solosI.html

REVIEW:  While Mike Love has had more unreleased material stay in the vaults than any other Beach Boy, it's fair to say also that a great preponderance of this material deserves to stay unreleased.  That being said, this album, which has been making the rounds in Beach Boys' collector's circles, is undoubtedly the most polished, most accessible solo album Mike has recorded - and while it still has its faults (mostly in its forced, preachy lyrics) the arrangements (vocal arrangements by Mike and Adrian Baker) are extremely good, and in fact make all the songs sound much better than they might otherwise.  Many of the tracks have been reworked from earlier projects, but here all shine much brighter than in their original incarnations: "Too Cruel" in particular sounds reborn with a charismatic vocal by Mike's son,  Christian, and although I might question Mike decision to re-record the vapid "Brian's Back" which firmly belongs in the 1970s where it was written, here it sounds more wistful, and less crass, than it has in earlier recordings.  Other songs that surprised me was the strong "10,000 Years" (which is rumored to be an off-shoot of a collaboration with Dennis Wilson), and the gently lilting "Anything For You".  And the thrice-recorded "I Don't Wanna Know" again benefits from Christian Love's bluesy vocal, showing off the song as being one of Mike's very strongest compositions.  In fact so many of the songs here are retreads, that it begs the question of whether Mike is suffering a writer's block, such as his cousin Brian has also professed in recent interviews.  Of the new songs appearing, the lead-off track shows off Mike's lyrics to their worst effect (and does he have to make a play off his name on so many of his albums?)  But that same affection shows up on "Love Foundation" which is saved by the blow-your-socks-off gospel choir that joins in, while "Daybreak" is again a stronger incarnation than what appeared on First Love - the song is blessed with sweet harmonies which lift it up.  Mike closes the album with another spiritual incantation in "Only One World", which again puts Mike in the awkward position of calling for world unity, which, considering his litigious nature, isn't exactly a position he's suited for.  But overall, this album sounds great, and stands tall as Mike's far-and-away best solo album.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »

@ Googamooga: I know you're fond of pointing us out all these Beach Boys (or solo/related) CD's, but the way you present them they fit better in the media section. So please post them there.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:25:24 AM »

@ Googamooga: I know you're fond of pointing us out all these Beach Boys (or solo/related) CD's, but the way you present them they fit better in the media section. So please post them there.

will do!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx