gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681549 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 02:09:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Setlist from Brian's first Australian show  (Read 10660 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »

Bear in mind, he only had an hour-long slot:

California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Do It Again
Don't Worry Baby
Surfer Girl
I Get Around
Darlin'
They Can't Take That Away From Me
Do You Wanna Dance
Sloop John B.
Wouldn't It Be Nice
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Help Me, Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun Fun Fun

Wasn't someone saying something about 'Mike's oldies band' ?  Roll Eyes  Most recent composition is about 43 years old.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »

Exactly, Andrew. Though I see nothing wrong with either of the bands performing that setlist, especially if it is a 60 mins. show. Having too many hits to perform at a concert is a very good problem to have. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »

All top 40 hits, except for TCTTAFM, right?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »

Exactly, Andrew. Though I see nothing wrong with either of the bands performing that setlist, especially if it is a 60 mins. show. Having too many hits to perform at a concert is a very good problem to have. Wink

Nope, nothing wrong with doing the catalog (though I wish with every fiber of my being that everyone would drop "Barbara-fucking-Ann"...), it's just that when Mike & Bruce do it they're vilified, yet it's perfectly OK by the same people casting stones when Brian does a nearly identical setlist. All I ask for is a little more consistency and a lot less knee-jerk reflex.

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »

I think it's a great setlist, only a little odd to place the Gershwin number  in between two uptempo numbers, but maybe there's a break there?
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:47:19 AM »

Nope, nothing wrong with doing the catalog (though I wish with every fiber of my being that everyone would drop "Barbara-friggin'-Ann"...), it's just that when Mike & Bruce do it they're vilified, yet it's perfectly OK by the same people casting stones when Brian does a nearly identical setlist. All I ask for is a little more consistency and a lot less knee-jerk reflex.

But Barbara-Ann gets audiences on their feet and Brian plays bass.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »

What, no one accused him of lip-synching again?  Grin

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »

What a unique setlist!! California Girls as opener and Fun Fun Fun as a closer after Rhonda, Barbara Ann and USA!

The line "Well everybody say yeee-e-ah" at the opening of Barbara Ann plays a special part in the Brian Wilson legacy and is featured on
his critically aclaimed SMiLE album.... NOT!

Did Brian hope the audience had a lot of Fun Fun Fun before the last song? Wink

At least Brians voice was in such terrible shape that no one at his senses could accuse him of lipsyncing.

Innovative!

//Cynical RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »

Nope, nothing wrong with doing the catalog (though I wish with every fiber of my being that everyone would drop "Barbara-friggin'-Ann"...), it's just that when Mike & Bruce do it they're vilified, yet it's perfectly OK by the same people casting stones when Brian does a nearly identical setlist. All I ask for is a little more consistency and a lot less knee-jerk reflex.

Be gentle, Andrew, Barbara Ann is for the folks who don't know the words to the rest of the songs!  It gives the rest of us a rest~!  LOL

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »

Boy, not here in Philly. Everyone knows the lyrics to the songs. Most of the time it was hard to hear the band singing from the crowd singing along, especially during the "Home stretch".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 02:04:26 PM »

So wait, only ONE track from the Gershwin album? And NONE from the previous two? It's like Brian's purposefully ignoring his solo career.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 02:53:50 PM »

So wait, only ONE track from the Gershwin album? And NONE from the previous two? It's like Brian's purposefully ignoring his solo career.

He was headlining a multi-act show, he had 60 minutes. I'm surprised he did even that.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »

He was headlining a multi-act show, he had 60 minutes. I'm surprised he did even that.

Gee, I don't know. Seems to me if he's the headliner, he could play what he wants, and try to bring the audience with him.
60 minutes means he could play a chunk of Gershwin numbers, swing into Barbara Ann, and head off the stage with FFF

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:30 PM »

Brian was more of a second choice after one of the main acts cancelled...

screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »

Even better then. If he's just filling in for a cancelled act,there aren't all the same expectations that people  bought their tickets becasuse they thought they were going to see " the Beach Boys",  so he had the chance to WOW audiences with his new Gershwin material, pull em up by their bootstraps, and initiate them into the real world of Brian.

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »

Even better then. If he's just filling in for a cancelled act,there aren't all the same expectations that people  bought their tickets becasuse they thought they were going to see " the Beach Boys",  so he had the chance to WOW audiences with his new Gershwin material, pull em up by their bootstraps, and initiate them into the real world of Brian.

Well, in my humble opinion... that setlist...IS THE REAL WORLD OF BRIAN.... without a doubt a selection of the very best songs ever written, produced, composed by Brian. There's no track to be found on any of my bootlegs that can top Dance, Dance, Dance, Do It Again or Darlin'

I love that setlist... there's just a couple of weak tracks.... and the Gershwin track is one of them...
If I was to select ONE hour of the prime works of Brian Wilson... probably nothing from Gershwin or TLOS would show up....
And especially not Barbara Ann or Johnny B Goode...

//RD
feeling cynical tonight... sorry for any inconvenience

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »

Did Darian sing lead on "Darlin"? If so, the Aussies got a real treat!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »

He couldn't even muster up 'Heroes and Villains'? Geez, Brian!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »

Not even Marcella or Love and Mercy? This guy used to sing both This Whole World and 'Til I Die in concert...

He could add so many interesting songs to the setlist while still ending the concert with Fun Fun Fun (I don't mind, it's a great song). What about introducing a medley consisting of He Come Down/That Same Song/Walking Down the Path of Life? What about Mona? Funky Pretty? Male Ego? The list goes on and on...
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 01:08:04 AM »

GIven that the event in question was a multi act event, the audience didn't book specifically to see Brian. They would have been a broad audience, probably familiar with the bulk of the material presented and many would not have heard any of Brian's solo work.

So in such a set, you throw one curve ball...which was TCCTAFM.

I am sure that when Mike & Bruce play, their audience is somewhat similar. And they throw the occasional curve ball too.

For a Brian Wilson show, the audience is made up of Brian Wilson geeks like us lot on this board. We are more familiar with the less well known material. We wet our pants when he sings something obscure from the canon. The audience in Australia would probably have gone for another beer if he'd played Love & Mercy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 04:55:46 AM »

Easy guys. New songs means rehearsing and rehearsing and rehearsing. Brian was quite busy recording and then promoting the new album. They probably didn't have that much time. And since it's not a BW solo-event, it is totally logical to use the songs that go over great with an audience looking for some fun. Wait for the RFH-concerts for new material (both, Gershwin and Wilson compositions)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 05:02:34 AM »

Let's see what his non-package in Adelaide 11/3 looks like. To give you a notion of how the package shows are structured, here's the running order for the Melbourne show:

5:00pm - doors open
5:20pm - 5:35pm - Danielle Spencer
5:50pm - 6:50pm - All Stars
7:05pm - 7:35pm - Peter Frampton
7:50pm - 8:20pm - America
8:35pm - 9:05pm - Chicago
9:25pm - 10:25pm - Brian Wilson

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 09:05:22 AM »

Let's see what his non-package in Adelaide 11/3 looks like. To give you a notion of how the package shows are structured, here's the running order for the Melbourne show:

Who exactly are the 'All Stars'?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 10:23:55 AM »

Mike, Bruce, Alan, David & Stamos. I think Dean Torrence too.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 11:27:49 AM »

Mike, Bruce, Alan, David & Stamos. I think Dean Torrence too.

So you're saying that Mike, Bruce, Alan, David, Stamos & Dean Torrence  were on the bill already, and then Brian was added at a late date to replace one  of the other headliners?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx