gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:48:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your top 5 favorite albums/songs  (Read 17809 times)
KDS
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 05:21:18 AM »

Albums:

1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

2. Iron Maiden - Brave New World

3. The Who - Quadrophenia

4.  Rainbow - Rising

5.  Queen II

Songs:

1.  Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Wish You Were Here)

2.  Rainbow - Stargazer (Rising)

3.  The Beach Boys - Surf's Up (Surf's Up)

4.  Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name (Number of the Beast)

5.  The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever (Magical Mystery Tour)

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »

1-Little Feat-Waiting for Columbus
2-Beach Boys-Wild Honey
3-Robbie Robertson-Contract From the Underworld of Red Boy
4'John Trudell (with Jesse Ed Davis)
5-Brian Wilson Presents Smile
6-TenCC-TenCC
7-Texas Tornados-1st lp
8-Frank Sinatra In the Wee Small  Hours
9.Marvin Gaye-What's Goin' On
10'Miles Davis-Porgy and Bess

Songs

1-Little Feat-Dixie Chicken
2-The Beach Boys-Surfs Up
3-Duke Ellington-Take the 'A' Train
4-Van Dyke Parks-Palm Tree and Moon
5-Mystery Train-Elvis Presley
6-Chuck Berry-Nsdine
7-Laura Nyro-Wedding Bell Blues
8-Smokey Robinson- A Quiet Storm
9-The Band-Whispering Pines
10-Robbie Robertson and Ulali-Mawk Schi
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:18:12 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2016, 03:53:20 AM »

Mr. Reum, No. 7 is listed "Texas Tornados-1st la". I wiki'ed them and there is no such album. Did you mean 1st live album or just 1st record?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 06:25:32 AM »

Probably not really top five ever, but at the moment these songs and albums rule my world!

I didn't include anything by The Beach Boys

Songs:
The Undertones - Teenage kicks
Flamin' Groovies - Shake some action
Guns'n'Roses - Get in the ring
The Blue Hawaiians - Lonely star
Bad Religion - Generator

Albums:
Bracket - Reqiuem
Masked Intruder - Masked Intruder
NOFX - Punk in drublic
Chumbawamba - ABCDEFG
Weezer - Blue album
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »

Songs:

I like you, Hot Rod.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:32 PM »

Songs:

I like you, Hot Rod.

Thanks
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2016, 08:23:18 AM »

Albums

1. Pet Sounds
2. Revolver
3. Rubber Soul
4. Moondance
5. Rumours

Songs from those Albums

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. And Your Bird Can Sing
3. I'm Looking Through You
4. Into the Mystic
5. Second Hand News
KDS
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 09:11:17 AM »

Albums

1. Pet Sounds
2. Revolver
3. Rubber Soul
4. Moondance
5. Rumours

Songs from those Albums

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. And Your Bird Can Sing
3. I'm Looking Through You
4. Into the Mystic
5. Second Hand News

And Your Bird Can Sing is such an underrated Beatles song. 

You can say the same about a few of the deeper Revolver tracks ie  For No One & Dr. Robert.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2016, 07:28:28 AM »

2petsoundsnola: "2nd-hand news" & "Don't stop" were the only songs I liked from that "Rumours" album. I think it's overrated. I am fan of early Fleetwood with Peter Green.
"And your bird" is very cool; Paul should dare to do the best John songs live. Why not?

2Peter Reum: I see the edit - well done.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »

2petsoundsnola: "2nd-hand news" & "Don't stop" were the only songs I liked from that "Rumours" album. I think it's overrated. I am fan of early Fleetwood with Peter Green.
"And your bird" is very cool; Paul should dare to do the best John songs live. Why not?

2Peter Reum: I see the edit - well done.

RR,

Paul usually includes at least one John song in concert as a tribute.  He's done Strawberry Fields and Day in the Life in the past. I think he now does Mr. Kite. 

I think his band would knock And Your Bird Can Sing out of the park.  I don't think that song has ever been done live by a Beatle.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »

Yes, I've seen "Fields" & "Kite". I meant he should do every John song, solo/Beatles. The guy is dead, what stops Paul to do them? It isn't Yoko's business and Sean & Julian wouldn't mind, I'm sure. He was like father to J.

KDS
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »

Yes, I've seen "Fields" & "Kite". I meant he should do every John song, solo/Beatles. The guy is dead, what stops Paul to do them? It isn't Yoko's business and Sean & Julian wouldn't mind, I'm sure. He was like father to J.

I think the expectation is for Paul to mostly stick to the songs he wrote with a couple tributes to John and George thrown in. 

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »

Paul McCartney probably is interested in promoting his own music. And Yoko Ono is the owner of his estate, so it quite literally is her business. She also was his wife.
KDS
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2016, 08:23:35 AM »

Paul McCartney probably is interested in promoting his own music. And Yoko Ono is the owner of his estate, so it quite literally is her business. She also was his wife.

Pretty much. 

I'd love to see Paul again, but whew, those tickets prices.  I've seen him twice though (2002 & 2009).  Was delighted to hear A Day in the Life in person in 2009. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2016, 08:26:43 AM »

Pretty much. 

I'd love to see Paul again, but whew, those tickets prices.  I've seen him twice though (2002 & 2009).  Was delighted to hear A Day in the Life in person in 2009. 
That's an experience to be jealous of. Perhaps - competing with Surfs Up - the best song ever, to me.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »

Paul must be allowed to sing his buddy's songs. He knew John since teenage years. Yoko or anybody else shouldn't stop him sing any John song he wants. If I was owner of estate I would totally ignore if smb. sang songs of my relative. I mean what harm it can do? It's not a sin or sth. Let whoever sing them. I wouldn't fret over it or sue. Frankly, I don't get when the artists sue each other for such little thing.

KDS
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »

Pretty much. 

That's an experience to be jealous of. Perhaps - competing with Surfs Up - the best song ever, to me.

Got to see Surf's Up last summer.  

My all time favorite is Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and I've seen Roger Waters do that one a few times.  There's nothing like seeing your favorite all time song done live by one of its creators.  
KDS
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »

Paul must be allowed to sing his buddy's songs. He knew John since teenage years. Yoko or anybody else shouldn't stop him sing any John song he wants. If I was owner of estate I would totally ignore if smb. sang songs of my relative. I mean what harm it can do? It's not a sin or sth. Let whoever sing them. I wouldn't fret over it or sue. Frankly, I don't get when the artists sue each other for such little thing.

He's allowed to.  In a live setting, you can sing anything you want.  It becomes a more sticky issue when you go to release a live album.

But, I'm sure Paul had heard endless times about how his songwriting isn't as strong as John's.  Why would he want to fill the setlist of a Paul McCartney show with John Lennon songs? 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »

I don't have a problem with the general notion that one should get to sing what one wants, but professional musicians want to be paid for their work, and they might have some concern for how their music is used. If someone objects to a politician or corporation using their music to promote something they don't support, for instance, I think they should have an apparatus to withdraw rights.
Regarding this specific instance, I find it unlikely that Paul McCartney wants to fill his show with John Lennon music. He's got his own work and legacy to promote.

Edited: echoing KDS.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:35:24 AM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »

Pretty much. 

My all time favorite is Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and I've seen Roger Waters do that one a few times.  There's nothing like seeing your favorite all time song done live by one of its creators.  
Shine On is up there certainly. You've had some great concert experiences. Wow.
KDS
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »

Pretty much. 

Shine On is up there certainly. You've had some great concert experiences. Wow.

I should add that I saw Brian's band do Surf's Up.  I just realized that Mike's band did it a few times too. 

Of the top five songs, I listed on here, I've heard four of them in person. 

I've also gotten to hear some of my favorite albums in person like Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Quadrophenia, and Operation: Mindcrime, and I'll soon ad Pet Sounds to that list. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2016, 08:40:03 AM »

When I was younger I saw a lot of live music in small packed clubs or in seatless concert arenas, which I started having mild panic attacks in. I never really was aware of seated theater-based live non-classical music. I really regret missing tons of amazing concerts over the last few decades. But good for you! Those sound amazing.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2016, 08:40:40 AM »

Honestly, I don't get that political analogy, corporation whatever - it's too difficult.
I know that Paul is Paul, he has big ego, understandably and rightly so. I was speaking in general terms that it wouldn't be too tough for him one day out of the blue to suddenly start singing John's stuff. I don't mean he must do it every day, just make surprise drops or half hour show of John. He does it by cutting his own setlist which is easy, right?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2016, 08:42:38 AM »

Honestly, I don't get that political analogy, corporation whatever - it's too difficult.
I know that Paul is Paul, he has big ego, understandably and rightly so. I was speaking in general terms that it wouldn't be too tough for him one day out of the blue to suddenly start singing John's stuff. I don't mean he must do it every day, just make surprise drops or half hour show of John. He does it by cutting his own setlist which is easy, right?
Here, there are lawsuits or complaints from artists now and then when a politician or corporation will start using their music in advertisements or rallies.
I mentioned it because I was thinking of the general principle that one should get to sing what one wants. I was saying that I agree with the general idea, but there are exceptions that make sense to me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:44:21 AM by Emily » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:39 AM »

Gotcha but we talk about Paul singing his buddy-roo John's stuff.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:45:49 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx