gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:24:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your top 5 favorite albums/songs  (Read 18237 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »

Gotcha but we talk about Paul singinh his buddy-roo John's stuff.
I added to the above post. I was just ruminating on the general principle that you put forth.
KDS
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »

When I was younger I saw a lot of live music in small packed clubs or in seatless concert arenas, which I started having mild panic attacks in. I never really was aware of seated theater-based live non-classical music. I really regret missing tons of amazing concerts over the last few decades. But good for you! Those sound amazing.

Luckily, a lot of the classic artists are still out there touring.  The Who did Quadrophenia in 1996, and Brian did Pet Sounds in 2002 and 2006.  I thought I'd missed out on both.   Sure enough The Who revived Quadrophenia in 2012 and Brian's doing Pet Sounds again.  

As a 35 year old who wasn't around when these bands were in their heyday, I'm very thankful for nostalgia.  
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2016, 08:48:24 AM »

Thanks for the edit notice.
...OK, they don't make sense to me, then. Agree to disagree?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »

No prob :-)
KDS
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:15 AM »

RR,

Just to help you a little further.  To an extent, you're right.  In a live setting, Paul McCartney can do whatever he chooses.  He can do a set of John Lennon songs.  He can do a set of Little Richard songs. 

But, it's also the music business.  People pay a LOT of money to see Paul McCartney in concert.   So, there's a certain expectation when that expensive ticket says "Paul McCartney" that you're hearing music written by Paul McCartney. 

And like Emily says, Paul wants to promote his music. 

I was trying to think of an apt analogy, but I can't think of any band with two such prolific songwriters. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »

I doubt Paul has any desire to become a John Lennon tribute band at this point in his life.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »

Yes, ofc. Business is business. Fans pay to hear Paul's stuff. But I'd think the same fans might get started as Beatles fans & really happy to hear Paul singing John's solo and band songs. So if he puts in the middle of setlist or bookending with John, they'll be really glad. It wouldn't be "here we go again", it would be unusual.
Tribute band or not, he has like nobody else right to pay tribute to his close friend of many years. It would be quality performance. Frankly though, I don't mind tribute bands per se. They are harmless.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »

Yes, ofc. Business is business. Fans pay to hear Paul's stuff. But I'd think the same fans might get started as Beatles fans & really happy to hear Paul singing John's solo and band songs. So if he puts in the middle of setlist or bookending with John, they'll be really glad. It wouldn't be "here we go again", it would be unusual.
Tribute band or not, he has like nobody else right to pay tribute to his close friend of many years. It would be quality performance. Frankly though, I don't mind tribute bands per se. They are harmless.

Sure, tribute bands are harmless, and can be fun.  But nobody's paying hundreds of dollars a ticket to see a tribute band. 

Paul had done John Beatle songs.  There's no way he'd do a John solo song. 

As much as I like Dennis's POB album, I really wouldn't want to hear River Song or Holy Man at a Brian Wilson concert. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »

Then we differ. And I said quite a bit that he may play the John set, like, in the middle of the main show. Not daily routine, just when he feels like it. John solo or John Beatle - still John. Same with Dennis' stuff on Brian's concert.

KDS
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2016, 11:48:50 AM »

Then we differ. And I said quite a bit that he may play the John set, like, in the middle of the main show. Not daily routine, just when he feels like it. John solo or John Beatle - still John. Same with Dennis' stuff on Brian's concert.

That's fine.  We can agree to disagree.  Paul does a short John / George tribute portion of each show though. 

Brian occasionally has done Little Bird or Forever for Dennis, but those are still Beach Boys songs that Brian played or sang on. 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx