gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:05:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson not interested in reunion after all  (Read 12202 times)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »

Well, I'm not buying it, old...dude! Yes, Brian will go down in history, but so will The Beach Boys. Your agrument is very, very weak, seriously!
didn't ask you to buy it, doc. It's not an argument, rather an opinion. Yes it may be weak but it could also be an interesting topic of discussion. Jedi Duel
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 09:56:29 AM »

I agree to a point, but in their 50 years Brian has spent very little time in their touring lineup. So the argument that who wrote the hits and sang lead on some them, really doesn't hold tight. We cannot do anything about Dennis and Carl, but having all of the surviving members on stage would definitely make it more special.

Let me be clear. Mike and Bruce don't do it for me. Without Brian Wilson at the reunion, I don't give a rat's posterior about any reunion. It will mean NOTHING to me. Congrats to Al and Dave if they re-join The Beach Boys band (where they've belonged all along) but without Bri there, it ain't a real reunion for me...........

Even if all Brian does is show up to the reunion, squats down and takes a brute on a plate, that'll be OK with me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:19:24 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »

Last time I checked Mike Love WAS a "Wilson." Mike's band is very, very, good. Maybe it lacks the cutesy schtick and hair-do's -- but the band sounds great. And I think if you compare setlists, Brian's act falls into "oldies" territory as well, no??? I'm not knocking Brian's act, but let's all face facts about what's what.

Something tells me that over the last 10 years or so(check this) Brian has "oldies" act has included Imagination, Smile, TLOS, but I could be wrong, you know.

I think that, at 37 years old when first performed, Smile probably qualifies as an 'oldie'.  Grin

Of course, Brian has performed new material (and I'm glad he has), but there's an excellent reason why, maybe one song excepted, Mike & Bruce haven't: they've not recorded any (as The Beach Boys), as the terms of the BRI license prohibits that.
Smile-a 2004 release that was written in 66-67-not a newie nor an oldie really-is there another term available??

A 'reimagining'... ?  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »

Exceptions might be "The Little Girl I Once Knew" which Brian does (and, yes, Boys I am waiting  Wink

Mike & Bruce have done that in an outstanding segue with "Let Him Run Wild". The fans in London in 2008 thought they'd died and gone to heaven.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2010, 10:02:34 AM »

Indeed, it was weak. Sorry, I don't mean to be snarky, but no, not interesting at all. It's an old, tired subject that gets beat to death. Any of the survivors have every right to perform those songs. I've seen Brian, Al, and Mike & Bruce. They all have competent, credible bands behind them. As for the word "Argument", I mean it in its strictest sense, and not as in fighting.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »

I agree to a point, but in their 50 years Brian has spent very little time in their touring lineup. So the argument that who wrote the hits and sang lead on some them, really doesn't hold tight. We cannot do anything about Dennis and Carl, but having all of the surviving members on stage would definitely make it more special.

Let me be clear. Mike and Bruce don't do it for me. Without Brian Wilson at the reunion, I don't give a rat's posterior about any reunion. It will mean NOTHING to me. Congrats to Al and Dave if they re-join The Beach Boys band (where they've belonged all along) but without Bri there, it ain't a real reunion for me...........

Even if all Brian does is show up to the reunion, squats down and takes a brute on a plate, that'll be OK with me.
[/quote]

Well, alrighty, then. If I was supposed to take all that from your original post, then I apologize.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »

True there have only been a handfull of years when Brian was a productive touring member and Mike and Bruce do a fine job without him but it may be worth remembering that Pink Floyd were fantastic live without Roger Waters but the sight of him performing again with them was a truly emotional impact for the many fans who considered them part of the soundtrack to their lives. Some were moved to tears. Of course if Brian has an off day BB fans could be weeping for a completely different reason................

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »

Yeah, but this time around, Brian should be a more fully functional member on stage with The Beach Boys, moreso than since 1964. I'd enjoy it either way, but it will be more special with Brian out there, for sure.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:18:50 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2010, 10:20:47 AM »

In fairness: Why is it assumed that it's the Beach Boys that necessarily NEED Brian??? No one that goes to their shows is mumbling "where's Brian???" (Or "where's Al," for that matter.) Their shows sell out -- or nearly -- consistently, venues love to book them. What do they NEED Brian to come back for??? From where I'm sitting, it's the Brian camp that needs "The Beach Boys." "Smile '04" was a long time ago, and the Brian Band albums aren't exactly changing the world -- Brian "needs" this more than Mike. Mike is set. Mike banks major coin every time he steps on stage. Does Brian with his 46-piece band playing 2,600 seaters???

50 years is a big one. Of all the stupid things the Beach Boys have done to undermine their career and reputation, turning their back on an obvious buck has never been one of them. And it won't be. Whether on stage, or not, plans ARE in the works to commemorate the 50th. All this talk about "NEED" -- these guys are unbelievably loaded, truly. As far as hurt feelings and making peace -- these guys have been humiliating and betraying each other since before there was even a BAND. Lawsuits??? These guys have a pretty thick skin.

I'm a HowieEdelsonite on this.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
oldsurferdude
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »

Yeah, but this time around, Brian should be a more fully functional member on stage with The Beach Boys, moreso than since 1964. I'd enjoy it either way, but it will be more special with Brian out there, for sure.
Myke and his band along with Al and Dave will then, in fact, be the real BBs.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 10:30:41 AM »

@ mikes beard

You brought up a good point: Has Brian ever been a productive member in the BB touring band? I saw at least a half dozen shows personally, and I'd have to say never. He did a solo spot at a 89-90 show I attended, but did little to nothing with the Boys' themselves. Live Aid is the best performance that I think I've witnessed with him onstage.

EDIT: Post 60's touring member.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:35:30 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
oldsurferdude
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:41 AM »

Myke and his band along with Al and Dave will then, in fact, be the real BBs.
Edit-Myke along with Brian, Al, and Dave will then, in fact, will be the real BBs.-
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:38 AM »

@ mikes beard

You brought up a good point: Has Brian ever been a productive member in the BB touring band? I saw at least a half dozen shows personally, and I'd have to say never. He did a solo spot at a 89-90 show I attended, but did little to nothing with the Boys' themselves. Live Aid is the best performance that I think I've witnessed with him onstage.

It's frustrating because in the early years before the issues took root, Brian was a pretty good live performer.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 10:37:11 AM »

Yes, I meant post 60's. I edited my original post.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »

@ mikes beard

Except that on the Live Aid show, his microphone was turned off.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »

Untrue. You can hear him on WIBN, I believe, along with Al Jardine.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »

@ mikes beard

Not in my house it wasn't.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

Of course, Brian has performed new material (and I'm glad he has), but there's an excellent reason why, maybe one song excepted, Mike & Bruce haven't: they've not recorded any (as The Beach Boys), as the terms of the BRI license prohibits that.
[/quote]

What would be required as per the terms of the BRI license for a recording to be credited to The Beach Boys?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »

What would be required as per the terms of the BRI license for a recording to be credited to The Beach Boys?
[/quote]

The presence of all three remaining voting board members of BRI.

Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

@ mikes beard

Not in my house it wasn't.

I stand corrected. If I would've read further in the Definitive Vocal Credits thread, I would've seen that you had already put that idea to rest. Also, listening to the clips on YouTube I can hear Brian now. Last time I watched, I didn't know what '85 Brian sounded like, so I didn't hear him in the mix; thus, the idea made sense.  D'oh!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »

Last time I checked Mike Love WAS a "Wilson." Mike's band is very, very, good. Maybe it lacks the cutesy schtick and hair-do's -- but the band sounds great. And I think if you compare setlists, Brian's act falls into "oldies" territory as well, no??? I'm not knocking Brian's act, but let's all face facts about what's what.

Something tells me that over the last 10 years or so(check this) Brian has "oldies" act has included Imagination, Smile, TLOS, but I could be wrong, you know.

I think that, at 37 years old when first performed, Smile probably qualifies as an 'oldie'.  Grin

Smile-a 2004 release that was written in 66-67-not a newie nor an oldie really-is there another term available??

A "no-ldie"?

It's a very good point actually. As Smile was never released until 2004, you could very well argue it as a new work with roots going back to 1967.

Oh the Myke front: yeah, Gershwin gets played by others and gets the credit, but didn't Myke like...... write..... uh,..... the lyrics to just about all of those songs listed? Means he's the CO-WRITER of the song. As in WRITER, as in CREATIVE PARTICIPANT in the song's creation..... More than enough cred to sing them today.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »

A newldie?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
oldsurferdude
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »

A "no-ldie"?

It's a very good point actually. As Smile was never released until 2004, you could very well argue it as a new work with roots going back to 1967.

Oh the Myke front: yeah, Gershwin gets played by others and gets the credit, but didn't Myke like...... write..... uh,..... the lyrics to just about all of those songs listed? Means he's the CO-WRITER of the song. As in WRITER, as in CREATIVE PARTICIPANT in the song's creation..... More than enough cred to sing them today.
Eric-Never said that Myke was not a writer of some lyrics or that he needed credibility to sing said songs-the point expressed was that Brian's presence gives the M&B band the credibility they lack now-remember NWNBB. Kiss
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »

Understood. I'm just saying that Myke being co-writer of so many of the songs him and Bruce are singing gives him more than enough credibility to do so whether Brian's onstage or not. Actually, he has almost MORE cred in a funny way being that he was the band's frontman since day one and that Brian was an ever diminishing presence live-wise for most of The Beach Boys career..... But this only goes for THE BEACH BOYS. Brian on his own shows/tours is the man!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »

What/where would Mike be doing now without Brian?  Singing Kokomo and cover songs in some rinky dink bar band?

You want a reunion? I mean a real one? Then you get all the surviving members of the band up on a stage playing music at the same time.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx